Suffolk Development news

vdogg

Hotel Elliott to be Renovated

The former Hotel Elliott, now known as Suffolk Towers, has been sold and will be renovated into high-end apartments. This is good news for downtown Suffolk. It would have been nice to see it become a hotel again, but the apartment plan should be workable.

Article from the Virginian Pilot

Edited by tombarnes

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just want to let everyone know that the old Suffolk High School,built in 1923 has been transformed into the new and beautiful Suffolk Center for the Cultural Arts. It's my alma mater.I'm very proud of the city of Suffolk for bringing this jewel to our city.It's a great asset for downtown.I wish I could post some pictures for everyone to see.

Just want to let everyone know that the old Suffolk High School,built in 1923 has been transformed into the new and beautiful Suffolk Center for the Cultural Arts. It's my alma mater.I'm very proud of the city of Suffolk for bringing this jewel to our city.It's a great asset for downtown.I wish I could post some pictures for everyone to see.

I notice that building most every time I am passing thru Suffolk. I will try to take a few pics the next time I am going that way.

• 3 weeks later...

$7.1 million trail project is on horizon in Suffolk

SUFFOLK - City recreation officials are gearing up to build an 11-mile trail for walking, jogging and bicycling on an abandoned rail line that runs from downtown to the Chesapeake line.

The estimated $7.1 million project, called the Suffolk Seaboard Coastline Trail, is part of regional trail concept that could eventually link Suffolk to Norfolk

I hope Mr. Sheffer realize that this is a great development for the fairgrounds ,which hasn't seen any new development since the area was built back in the 1920's.This area was the center of black culture for many years until the 1980's when it began to decline due to lack of new development.This is an area of old delapidated buildings that are literally falling down.This development will include a black history museum and a park with a statue of George Washington Carver, they chose him because of his research with peanuts,and Suffolk is known as the peanut city.This development is just what we need for this once vibrant area of downtown.

This is one huge development if it gets approved. EPilot has some great renderings but I can't get to my photobucket acct here at work to post the renderings. They could have thought of a better name though other than Hampton Roads Crossing. <_<

Huge mixed-use project planned for Suffolk

SUFFOLK - A developer Tuesday unveiled plans for a massive project blending homes, offices and retail in the heart of the city's technology corridor in northern Suffolk.

Representatives of Terry- Peterson Residential presented their plan to the P lanning C ommission for 132 acres that includes 600 homes, two hotels and 730,000 square feet of retail, office and mini-storage space.

story