Suffolk Development news

vdogg

Holy crap that's big. That's about 2/3 the retail space of Patrick Henry Mall. Not shabby, given all the stuff they already have now and under construction. My boyfriend is from N. Suffolk (goes to ODU) and when I was driving around with him I was surprised at the rate of construction in some of those areas.

• 1 month later...

I knew the area was growing but not to the tune of 40k residents.

I wonder how much of that is relocation from other areas and the metro and how many are new residents. I think the last figures showed our entire metro growing by only 3.1%, so this would represent and significant jump in just that city alone.

• 3 months later...

This is my first post so I hope I get it right. Surveyors were on the old Obici hospital lot Saturday Feb. 24th. Looks like they were staking out. The planned multi-use development will be a great addition in the rebirth of central Suffolk and I am happy to see this moving foward.

This is my first post so I hope I get it right. Surveyors were on the old Obici hospital lot Saturday Feb. 24th. Looks like they were staking out. The planned multi-use development will be a great addition in the rebirth of central Suffolk and I am happy to see this moving foward.

:hi: Welcome to the forum. I've seen you lurking for sometime, glad you've decided to join us. :)

Does anyone think that Suffolk will be considered as part of South Hampton Roads in the 2010 census?

I know that it was considered it's own area in 2000, but we all know that it's one of the seven cities!!!!

I wonder if it will have grown enough by 2010.

:huh: Isn't Suffolk already part of HR? I'll have to look at the 2000 census but if portions of North Carolina are part of the metro already, I don't see how Suffolk wouldn't be. :dontknow:

• 3 weeks later...

King's Hwy Bridge to be demolished without replacement... Article

I thought that they could maybe put a ferry there, but the water is just too shallow.

The driver's ed instructors at my high school used to make students drive over this bridge as part of the road test. Cruel and unusual punishment in my opinion. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

700 acres of prime Suffolk land may be developed

A developer has a contract to buy about 700 acres of farmland in the central part of the city, a huge chunk of prime undeveloped real estate at the intersection of two highways near downtown. The proposed deal offers the first glimpse at the future of the farm fields, worked for generations by a Suffolk family and now at the heart of rapid growth in the U.S. 460 and U.S. 58 Bypass corridors.

If the deal goes through, the property would be developed for a mix of uses, including retail, residential and offices, said Jim Carr of Virginia Beach-based Vistacor Inc., the lead developer on the project.

The land they are referring to is very close to downtown.I'm very excited about this announcement.We need more developments like this closer to downtown.

Well, as long as it isn't sprawl next to downtown then I'm fine with it. 700 acres of what was previously farmland is just huge and sounds like cookie cutter, subdivision, heaven. Mixed use doesn't necessarily mean urban. Hopefully whatever the developer has in mind adheres to the tenants of smart growth.