Riverpointe

vladittude0583

Does anyone know of the situation concerning Riverpointe? I heard that the project now consists of 1 tower, is this true? Furthermore, given that another company is in charge of building the project, when is it supposed to start/break ground? When is the new renderings supposed to be released? They should build a bigger tower I think, perhaps 700ft. not including an antenna, that would be awesome. Just imagine the Southbank's skyline if they were to build it that high or so? After all, the first renderings were 750ft., but that included a mast.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I just thought of something interesting regarding the recent interest of another company in the construction of the proposed "Riverpointe Tower". Given that Jacksonville's skyline only main signature towers are the BoA & Modis Tower. Even with those two, only the BoA Tower has a sort of special lighting on the 4 corners of its pyramidial portion of the tower. I was thinking, what if the Riverpointe Tower has some sort of special signature lighting that can be associated with it that would give Jacksonville some sort of special recognizable building with special lighting effect. Given that the possibility of such a thing is almost impossible b/c it's a residential tower and that there doesn't seem to be any plans of really building any office towers in the near future except for fidelity but those towers are small. Cities like Houston, Charlotte, Seattle, S. Francisco, L.A., etc. have signature buildings that have like their "entire" tops light up and so forth, I'm sure you guys get what I mean. Don't you think that would be cool to see something like that in downtown? I mean, BoA has the top 4 corners light up but that's nothing really special, Fidelity is highlighted in green in certain areas but not enough.

• 2 months later...

I can't find a reputable article later than March. Those articles claim a January '06 groundbreaking, and hint that a second tower is possible down the road, but totally off the table right now.

The source of my pessimism is that they claimed Arquitectonica would come out with a new rendering this "summer." Well, that has passed. Furthermore, consider that it will easily take 3 or 4+ months for them to go through all the city bureaucracy (DRC, DDA, building permits, etc), nevermind all the red tape for their plan to extend the riverwalk under the Acosta. I think they would need to pass the design review committee in October, at the latest, if they wanted to start by January. Doesn't seem likely.

But anyway, just remember the old rule of thumb ... always add about 6-18 months to whenever a developer claims construction will start ...

^lol...

I hope that they do go for two towers. And some waterfront retail/restaurants at the bases of each tower would be nice too. Also, I wonder if they could build a Riverwalk Bridge over the train tracks, like they did on the northbank. That would make it possible to have the Riverwalk go from Baptist Hospital to the Radisson.

They've already stated in several news articles that they want to extend the riverwalk. However, I think they're planning on going under the railroad tracks, much like they went under the Main Street bridge.

The most frustrating thing is that we know they have the money. Hines is a huge company with a massive portfolio. And yet there's be no word whatsoever from the developer or architect in months. These guys are one of the largest REITs in the country, so they already have financing locked up ... yet nothing is going on ... maybe Arcquitectonica is just really taking their pretty time designing this one ...

Archived