Uptown Buildings we WANT to be demolished

dubone

We have all been waiting for the Center City Inn to be leveled to the ground, and now that it has happened, i've been starting to think about what other buildings i wish would just go away.

Here is my preliminary list:

- Days Inn on N Tryon

L8090859.JPG

- Renaissance Place on N Tryon

L8090938.JPG

- CMPD/Meck County building at N College and 9th

P3092120.JPG

- Old CHA office at Caldwell and 7th

P3084448.JPG

- Office condos at McDowell and Trade

P3113527.JPG

- CMS Offices in 2nd Ward

I2152100.JPG

I2152433.JPG

- CPCC Offices at McDowell and 7th

P3105854.JPG

I'd also probably include the Observe building and the Duke Power building, but i'll stop here.

Also, i hope that the UHOP church at 9th and Davidson could eventually be replaced by something more attractive, but that church tends to like flashy, borderline-gaudy architecture, so i'll just be content with the somewhat simple structure that is there.

What do you all think? Besides, what is a Charlotte forum without a discussion of what to tear down? :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes to all except the office condos on McDowell. That project includes the first Afro-Am Catholic church in town.

I know this is un-pc, but I'd like to see the brand-new sanctuary for the Mt Moriah Baptist Church demolished. Bad design beyond words...and right there in the middle of all this great redevelopment on West Trade.

Yes to all except the office condos on McDowell.  That project includes the first Afro-Am Catholic church in town.

I know this is un-pc, but I'd like to see the brand-new sanctuary for the Mt Moriah Baptist Church demolished.  Bad design beyond words...and right there in the middle of all this great redevelopment on West Trade.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think the little mcdowell church should be saved... but i hate the structure they built around it.

I agree on the new MtMoriah church... their old one was such a nice design, it is a shame they just ordered blueprints from http://www.cheapchurches.com. Same goes for Little Rock AME. Their original building was a triumph of design, but the modern expansion is just so underwhelming. Those churches, though, provide a major community foundation in downtown, so i don't want them demolished, architecture notwithstanding.

Here's my additions:

Edwin Towers

222 S. Church (Packard Place)

The Arbors Apartments

CPCC Building (7th and McDowell)

BellSouth Building (200 S. Brevard???)

Wachovia Branch (616 N Tryon)

Hal Marshall Center

EWS on 4th.

ALL the United Way Buildings in 2nd Ward

1st Baptist Church

Sheraton Four Points

Justice Building (Corner of McDowell and 3rd)

Pinnacle Building (East Trade)

YWCA Day Care

Crush on Stonewall

Just a few off the top of my head.

I would destroy all buildings above 20 stories and all of the ones in the above photos. I would get rid of the Brookshire freeway and most of I-277. Impose an immediate height limit of 15 stories for all buildings (exceptions for monuments). And let the new development begin.

The end result would be much more liveable than what we have today.

I would destroy all buildings above 20 stories and all of the ones in the above photos.  I would get rid of the Brookshire freeway and most of I-277.  Impose an immediate height limit of 15 stories for all buildings (exceptions for monuments).  And let the new development begin. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

washington, d.c.?

I would destroy all buildings above 20 stories and all of the ones in the above photos.  I would get rid of the Brookshire freeway and most of I-277.  Impose an immediate height limit of 15 stories for all buildings (exceptions for monuments).  And let the new development begin. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"The tyranny of good intentions..."

I would love to see some of those 1 story 70's developments flattened and replaced with nice mixed-use 3-10 story infill devlopments. That would create an urban enviornment that still has a human scale to it.

RHJ, agreed. New arena and BoA Stadium should go.

should go? Like that's a possibility? :lol:

What would you like instead? a parking lot?

To the original question..

tear down everything on the dubone's list and altvr's list especially the UHOP plus the housing for elderly and convert the Hall House to condos. Fill in the rest of downtown with buildings of 12 stories with spaces for more skyscrapers.

A few more to add to my list:

Booth Gardens (In 4th Ward)

The MAC

Old 1st Ward Elementary

Also, even though it's technically not in Uptown, while my bulldozer is running, I'd drive over to W. Morehead St. and demolish the Rhino Times building (assuming its occupied).

139 South Tryon (Corner of Tryon and 4th).  As far as I know, this building looks empty, and it's not much to look at either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think 139 is a really good building. From what I understand, it is only vacant because it is full of asbestos. Mies....? back me up on this one.

139 S Tryon is a great building, Archiham. Looked at it with a client two years ago who was considering converting it to condos. Built like a rock, cool elevator lobby and a great poured in place concrete exterior. When it was the Home Federal Headquarters, the facade was downlit from the cornice work...sexy as hell at night.

What's its trouble? Alas, it has no parking.

I agree with the initial list that Dubone posted regarding buildings to be destroyed. At the risk of being lynched for hating history, I think they should tear down the Latta Arcade and the Chamber building and put up a huge skyscraper in that huge lot that encompasses those two buildings and the attached parking lots. While we are at it, tear down Goodyear and Firestone. Oh yeah... and just tear down the Mass Mutual building while you are at it. Maybe I'm biased since I personally hate that building and got stuck in the ghetto elevators for an hour, but whatever. Forget the remodelling, just destroy it. I'd rather see a parking lot there than know that the building is still the same core. On that same note though, it does look like a nice building the way its designed. I just hope they destroy the elevator ghosts because that building was a NIGHTMARE.

The second to the last I dont think should be demolished.. IMO charlotte should keep every highrise they have.. just fill it with another company.

The only time I think buildings should be demolished is if they're going to put another highrise in its place or if its a deathtrap. :blink:

Whoa there, P.  Not Latta Arcade.  Great building that could be integrated into a larger-scale product (as was supposed to happen with the Cornerstone project that never happened.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry Miesian... A2 told me you would kill me for saying it. I just personally don't like it. (This could be due to an overwhelming hostility towards that crummy Chinese place that got me sick...) I just think that the parking lot next to it should be leveled and in order to place a truly tall skyscraper there I don't think they would have enough land with the arcade being there. Plus I guess I'm just not a fan of that old architecture. I think its kinda ugly with its greenish tan shingles...

Archived