Uptown Buildings we WANT to be demolished

dubone

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe we left this one out:  the Hilton/Hampton conglomeration of all that is bad in architecture.  As A2 said in another thread, the elevator shaft sprite clock tower needs to be imploded immediately!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i don't think i agree with you completely. I think the lower priced hotel rooms probably contribute more to downtown than the lesser-quality design takes away. Primarily, i hope they finish the third section of the originally planned complex, choose a better color on the next paint job of the stucco, and to build a first street connector along the southern side of the building to reconnect caldwell to davidson.

If other, better quality projects get built on the NE corner of Stonewall and Caldwell, and on the NE corner of 2nd and Caldwell to dillute the isolation of this complex, i think it would solve the problem further.

that said, it would be a pretty lame next door neighbor to a Pei/Szeto designed signature hall of fame structure.

Two more buildings i think i'd like to go are the Post Office on McDowell and the Federal Reserve on Trade.

As they are both federal, maybe they can eventually be built into the project on the block next to the arena for a combined federal reserve/courthouse/post office complex.

• 2 months later...

Here's my additions:

ALL the United Way Buildings in 2nd Ward

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

when you first wrote this, i didn't have it in mind, but i noticed the united way building at 3rd and caldwell on a recent run, and must say it should definitely NOT be demolished. It is one of those older buildings that just needs the white paint scraped off the bricks and it would be a nice old building.

I2145342.JPG

i agree with you, however about the brevard street building.

If brick has been painted, it will most likely remain painted forever. Although it *can* be cleaned, you're likely to damage the surface of the brick and expose the softer core if you get it all off. So usually, cleaned brick is not that thorough... and it looks like something that was once painted...

If brick has been painted, it will most likely remain painted forever. Although it *can* be cleaned, you're likely to damage the surface of the brick and expose the softer core if you get it all off. So usually, cleaned brick is not that thorough... and it looks like something that was once painted...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

which is fine... my point was that it looks like a typical nice old semetrical brick pre-wwii building that is nicely positioned on the corner of a downtown block and could likely be renovated at somepoint to and look like a nice old brick building (even if they just painted it brick red like they did with highland mill in noda.

:) it has been painted for a long time, i'm sure. my point is, it looks really blah right now with the old coat of paint... but the underlying building has many redeeming factors. the paint doesn't make it worth demolishing in my view, as there are a few options for changing it up a bit to make it look nicer.

• 7 months later...

Archived