Architects emerge with innovative designs

merlin

by Bradley Parsons

Staff Writer

Where most people saw a downtown alley way, Mike Kleinschmidt and Logan Rink saw an opportunity.

The pair represent one third of a team of architects that designed a new use for the vacant alley between the 11 E. Forsyth Building and the Main Branch Library. The team members all punch the clock at Rink Design, Inc., but Kleinschmidt said the team does its most innovative work after hours.

The team

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember seeing that alley design in the bottom of 11 East during an Artwalk, a couple of months ago. I was impressed and thought Jacksonville could use a couple of places like that.

It would have been cool to see if something like this could have been developed along with the Haydon Burns proposals.

My gut feeling says Peterbrooke........I hope I'm wrong.

Btw, if The Fund gets it, that will be my worst nightmare.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If anyone besides Main Street or Ocean Square gets the nod, then someone should be shot by firing squad. What justification could there possibly be to award it to someone else?

If anyone besides Main Street or Ocean Square gets the nod, then someone should be shot by firing squad.  What justification could there possibly be to award it to someone else?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, but the way things are going, the execution would devolve into a dispute over the caliber of ammunition to be used. ;)

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! people, we are having a hard time focusing on a topic here>>> the discussion was on the Emerging Architects exhibition, and 90% of the post were about the library alley???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! one project is mentioned and there goes everyone. there was so much work at the exhibition, and most of it there in Jacksonville!!!!!! the exhibition was agreat success and allowed an outlet for the new generation of architects in this city to display their ideas and concepts>>> work that could influence the city in the coming years. we saw the rise of groups like "6 after 5" and "eleven squared", and how they are propsing a new future for the city. believe me that these are groups that you will definitely hear from in the future, so Jacksonville better get ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, we could all talk about how terrible that last "vision" was for the Laura Trio (the last project mentioned in the article) .... blank walls and skybridges to nowhere ... yuck ...

5d.png

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Captain Obvious - That image you are showing is not for the Laura Street Trio project. That was different project all together. I need to re-read the article but maybe Brad Parsons got it wrong. I know Tony Nolan personally and I know the project that he did for the Laura Street Trio and if it had any chance of getting built, it would be one of the best buildings in downtown by far. Tony is a fantastic designer and the model that was built was a very nice piece.

Thanks Cuban for getting it back on track. I do have images and are getting them posted on the AIA website, once they are posted I will let everyone know.

The event was a huge success. So much so that you will definitely be hearing more from the Emerging Architects as well as groups like "Eleven Squared" and "6 After 5" in the very near future. Also keep an eye out for the mobile office Eleven Squared is doing. You just might see it rolling down a street near you soon too.

the addy is www.AIAJacksonville.org. The website was launched at the first of the year is still being added to consistently and will only get better. You can download a pdf of the current newsletter and browse throught the recent nes and notices. I am still working on getting more information from events like the Emerging Architects Exhibition and last nights Awards Gala. There should be a links page shortly too that will have some pretty good local links as well as national architecture related links to sites like Archinect (www.archinect.com) and Death By Architecture.

Archived