Parachutes for Construction workers

M. Brown

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, and no.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not? If your working on a tall skyscraper like the freedom tower or something and by accident you fall wouldn't it be smart to have a small lightweight parachute that wouldn't get in the way of the work they are doing?

You wouldn't have nearly enough time to deploy it.

I would guess that most highrise steel and construction workers are harnessed and physically attached to the buildings these days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. The OSHA would spaz out if they found out highrise construction workers were not harnessed :)

Oh. I had no idea they were harnessed. But I was talking about supertall highrises. If you working on something as tall as the Sears tower I think it wouldnt be a bad idea. Especially in the future when taller buildings will be built.

My thoughts on why this won't work are threefold.

1. As previously stated, I'm not sure you would have to deploy a parachute.

B. Also previously stated, they are attached to the structure by harnesses.

III. Unless you fell perfectly away from the building you would hit a whole bunch of stuff on your way down...probably dead long before you hit the ground.

I think the beight of the Sears Tower would be enough, but I am not sure how the wind being diverted around and over the building would affect the parachute. You may get it open, and then blow back into the building, then fall the rest of the way.

If a construction worker is on a site in a busy downtown area, the wind could blow them into the street, they could get ran over by a car, and most likely die. And in CHicago, they could fly into lake Eerie. In this case, they should also get lifejackets :D

jumping from a building and falling from a building are two very different things. base jumpers prepare their chute before the jump... a construction worker who slips and falls would have no such luxury.

there are simpler more sane ways to stay protected.

now the skyscraper escape is a totally different story. Doesn't LA require flat roofs for all their buildings in case a helicopter lift is needed? What about really long rope ladders or safety nets that extend from the side of the building in the lower floors in an emergency.

Archived