Orlando City Place on Channel 6 News

bic

On WKMG Channel 6 News (CBS) just now, they had an "exclusive" story about a major downtown development-- Orlando City Place. They had a reporter out on the site showing the locations of the Holiday Inn and future buildings, and gave a few details about the project. From what I caught, they confirmed the renovation of the Holiday Inn, stated that there would be a 5-story building with a spa, and one of the first phase (not sure if it was the first) would include a 35-story building. The next phase in about 3 years will include Orlando's new tallest at 450-feet tall and 45-stories, a residential tower. A later phase (~5 years) will consist of a 30-story luxury condo.

The report had a few brief shots of a room with the BBArch plans we've all seen laid out on a table, complete with the crease in the middle.

They closed the piece by saying something along the lines of, "the developer is reluctant to speak about it but we will have more at WKMG news at 6:00pm and we will show you renderings of the project."

*edited for horrible typographical errors made in an effort to post this as quickly as possible.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hahaha...the reporter gave a shout out to the "internet bloggers [that] have been chatting about for [this] weeks."

I think the bit I caught during the 4:00pm news had a couple of more details than the 6:00pm. This latest one was a little disappointing.

I think he might have reference to Billingsley's expections of taller towers to come which will form a central spine along I-4.

I think the implication was that City Place was just a harbinger of things to come in regards to taller projects.

Hey, whatever happens with 55W, I guess we can go ahead and say Orlando has a proposal for a new tallest. :)

Hate to burst your bubbles, but the idea of a city coummunications antenna on top of this tower will not increase it's height. It's merely relay equiptment... the Courthouse has similar equiptment in a room near the top the building. Thus, there will be no new tallest in 55 West.

Hate to burst your bubbles, but the idea of a city coummunications antenna on top of this tower will not increase it's height.  It's merely relay equiptment... the Courthouse has similar equiptment in a room near the top the building.  Thus, there will be no new tallest in 55 West.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the new tallest hope is being pinned around the rumoured 5 story increase. The antenna as a tall spire misunderstanding was floated by another poster on these forums.

go gators, any other skyscrapers we haven't heard of here?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont recall them naming any specific projects, only that there were multiple projects planned for the downtown area. Sorry I couldnt help more.

First pitch is 1 hour 22 mins away...GO GATORS!!

I think the new tallest hope is being pinned around the rumoured 5 story increase. The antenna as a tall spire misunderstanding was floated by another poster on these forums.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. 55W as a new tallest (if it is in fact true) has nothing to do with the antennea but a height increase.

And no one has ever said or suggested otherwise...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gotta call you on that statement......

Does this sound familiar?

"Eh, we could I suppose debate the definition of spire. But the "antenna" will need to be, however it is configured, tall enough to clear its own perimeter or, at the very least, the perimeter of other surrounding buildings in order to achieve wide ranging line-of-sight usability."

"

More Skyscrapers Planned In Downtown Orlando

POSTED: 12:32 am EDT June 17, 2005

UPDATED: 12:59 am EDT June 17, 2005

Downtown Orlando's skyline will continue to grow taller, according to a Local 6 News report.

Local 6 News has confirmed plans for a multitower project in the downtown area that will cost about $1 billion to build.

Officials said Orlando City Place will be built around the old Holiday Inn hotel and Angel's Diner at the corner of Huey and Colonial Drive.

The three towers ranging from 30 to 45 stories will be the first structures west of Interstate 4, according to the report.

Developers plan to add 1,500 residences on the 4-acre site, along with office space, retail stores and restaurants.

They hope to break ground in January.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Above is the short news blurb that Channel 6 had on their website concerning yesterday's story. No new information really, except maybe the January groundbreaking.

Archived