Southern Accents

Mith242

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, I don't have a Southern accent, but I still got 79%. I think it's the roly polies and crawdads. :)

That's what I was saying. I think it is possible to have a very light accent or none at all and still score high on that test simply for the southern sayings and words.

I also pronounce aunt like "ant".

The only word I pronounce that sounds northern is route. I pronounce it like "rowt"...like about; not "root"....like boot..if that makes sense.

My aunt lives in upstate South Carolina. While not an accent, I have heard her comment on how folks down there call what we call a "water hose" or garden hose - they call a "hose pipe". She has actually picked up some of the words there. Anywhere else call it a hosepipe?

That is interesting - that's where my family comes from & I can recall my grandmother having a very colorful vocabulary. In fact she bordered on what people would consider 'hillbilly', she would even say 'yonder'. But she did call it a hose pipe as my dad would at times call it.

How could you score only 45%??

You must be from somewhere else originally or dropped your southern accent and certain southern words to sound more northern.

I scored a 77% on that Dixie quiz and I am a born and bred caucasian North Carolinian.

I don't consider my accent particularly heavy either.

That quiz doesn't really test the thickness of the accent, rather certain sayings and words...."roly-poly", "soft-drink" (which is mostly a "Carolina" thing), etc.

Edit: I screwed up. I got a 73% on the quiz. Still a high score. I didn't know a couple of those though.

My mom's side of the family is from Baltimore, MD, and my dad's side is from Greenville, SC. I tended to be in the middle on most of the choices (e.g., I say "soda," not the southern "Coke" and not the northern "Pop."). I do not have much of a southern accent; people here do not think I am from the south. I have had people in the north pick up some southern tendencies in my speech, though (especially after I told them where I am from). I guess it's all relative. :)

That is interesting. I have an uncle that lives here that uses the word "yonder". All of my mothers brothers and sister are from here, but he really got the "hillbilly" talk - even more than ANYONE in my family. I was thinking it was maybe where they lived in Alabama for a while, but no one else uses that word in my family, but I have heard some other locals use it. :)

That is interesting - that's where my family comes from & I can recall my grandmother having a very colorful vocabulary. In fact she bordered on what people would consider 'hillbilly', she would even say 'yonder'. But she did call it a hose pipe as my dad would at times call it.

My mom's side of the family is from Baltimore, MD, and my dad's side is from Greenville, SC. I tended to be in the middle on most of the choices (e.g., I say "soda," not the southern "Coke" and not the northern "Pop."). I do not have much of a southern accent; people here do not think I am from the south. I have had people in the north pick up some southern tendencies in my speech, though (especially after I told them where I am from). I guess it's all relative. :)

Oh, ok. That makes sense. "Soda" is a very East Coast thing; "Pop" is very Midwestern; "Soft Drink" is very Carolina. :D

I sometimes say "soda", but I think I say "soft drink" just as much, so I put that down. And I definitely call those bugs "roly-polies" :rofl:

All in good fun, I suppose.

The state of Georgia has 3 very distinct accents. I can tell people from North Georgia(including ATL), Middle Georgia, and South Georgia. I am from middle Georgia and have a pretty thick accent. We have a tendency to put the letter 'r' in every word and also over pronouce w's. My dad says Warshington DC, I was Warter when speaking about water. I love the accent and I think the sexiest thing about a girl is her southern accent, when I hear one(especially the lovely ADPi ladies here at Tech) man it just sounds great.

The "r" thing is common, but I don't do it. I am from the Piedmont region in NC and I didn't realize I had an accent until I went to college. Also, I could tell when people were from western NC because words like "life" sounded like "lyyyfe", etc. Central and eastern southern accents are pretty much the same. The larger cities and college campuses in NC are where you less likely to hear a lot of southern-ese, though.

The state of Georgia has 3 very distinct accents. I can tell people from North Georgia(including ATL), Middle Georgia, and South Georgia. I am from middle Georgia and have a pretty thick accent. We have a tendency to put the letter 'r' in every word and also over pronouce w's. My dad says Warshington DC, I was Warter when speaking about water.

The "r" thing is common, but I don't do it. I am from the Piedmont region in NC and I didn't realize I had an accent until I went to college. Also, I could tell when people were from western NC because words like "life" sounded like "lyyyfe", etc. Central and eastern southern accents are pretty much the same. The larger cities and college campuses in NC are where you less likely to hear a lot of southern-ese, though.

Same here. It is obvious that the Peidmont-Central section of NC has the milder accents compared to Eastern and Western NC. I think it is because our large cities are all in the Peidmont. We also have more towns located in the Peidmont.

The western section of our state has the more "Appalachian" twang, while the eastern part of the state has more of the old coastal "drawl". I hear different accents throughout our state.

Oh, ok. That makes sense. "Soda" is a very East Coast thing; "Pop" is very Midwestern; "Soft Drink" is very Carolina. :D

I sometimes say "soda", but I think I say "soft drink" just as much, so I put that down. And I definitely call those bugs "roly-polies" :rofl:

All in good fun, I suppose.

Ever seen this map?

You can almost define "the South" by the number of people that call soft drinks "Coke".

total-county.gif

Archived