Winn-Dixie to cut 400 jobs at head offices

bobliocatt

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, this is really too bad for those employed by Winn-Dixie at this point. They are closing 33% of their existing stores as well, which should be largely "non-core" stores according to this article. I could see maybe the one at San Pablo and Beach closing as it's got a Super-Walmart and Publix so close you could literally hurl at rock at both of them from the Winn-Dixie parking lot.

I'm hoping that they don't close the one at Baymeadows and 9A (one of the nicer grocery stores in town) and the one at Saint John's Bluff and Beach (As far as I know, the only grocery store in the rectangle of Southside/Atlantic -> Southside/JTB -> JTB/3rd:Beaches -> 3rd/Atlantic that is open 24 hours a day) as I frequent both of them regularly.

I'm hoping that they don't close the one at Baymeadows and 9A (one of the nicer grocery stores in town) and the one at Saint John's Bluff and Beach (As far as I know, the only grocery store in the rectangle of Southside/Atlantic -> Southside/JTB -> JTB/3rd:Beaches -> 3rd/Atlantic that is open 24 hours a day) as I frequent both of them regularly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No Winn-Dixie stores are open 24 hours anymore and there's a Publix planned right next door to the new St. Johns Town Center, as well as a Walmart SuperCenter and Super Target at Beach and Hodges. Expect to see the Winn-Dixie at Beach and St. Johns Bluff go up in smoke, just as soon as these stores open sometime next year.

Am I the only one who actually thinks that Winn-Dixie can pull out of this? I think their plan makes sense - They are gearing more towards their core markets, and pulling out of outlying markets and closing poor performing stores (the Dunn Avenue location is the only northeast Florida location closing).

Many people thought it was odd that the top of the company got nice bonuses, but remember: the last thing that this company needs is instability at the top. Personally, I thought it was a great move.

The X-Factor in all of this is if they get bought (Kroger has been rumored). This may happen, and if that's the case, we will never know if they would have ever recovered

I saw on the news tonight that WinnDixie is completely pulling out of the Upstate, and I think the same is true for the rest of SC. That is a pretty drastic change, and its unfortunate too. I used to go there alot when I lived in Columbia. I hope the can pull it off. I think they will have to be more creative like Publix and Harris Teeter to pull anything off.

Am I the only one who actually thinks that Winn-Dixie can pull out of this?

Scongro: I agree with you. I think the plan is solid. I think they have to cut the dead wood and try to salvage the healthy parts of the company. I also like the new CEO - I think he is a good turnaround man.

A lot of people on here seem to be happy to see Winn-Dixie go perhaps because they had some bad experience there years ago. I am glad you pessimists arent in charge of the company - it would certainly go under then. Anyway, these are people's livelihoods we are talking about and I hope they make it.

I would be overjoyed if the W-D would close their downtown store. Ugh, it's so nasty. I'm all for an urban grocery to cater to the new urban residents, but as far as I know, most 11E, Parks at Cathedral, and Berkman residents drive to Riverside to grocery shop, lol. Get rid of that thing, please.

Scongro:  I agree with you.  I think the plan is solid.  I think they have to cut the dead wood and try to salvage the healthy parts of the company.  I also like the new CEO - I think he is a good turnaround man.

A lot of people on here seem to be happy to see Winn-Dixie go perhaps because they had some bad experience there years ago.  I am glad you pessimists arent in charge of the company - it would certainly go under then.  Anyway, these are people's livelihoods we are talking about and I hope they make it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If they can make it out of this, then good for them. But from my 7 year experience working for the company in Central Florida and Tallahassee, the problems are just as bad internally in the core market, as they are under preforming secondary markets outside of state. As a former employee, I don't expect them to make it out of this, but I'll be fine eating my words.

Archived