Next Big Announcement

GRDadof3

Just for kicks, I think that after work starts this fall on the Marriot and River House, there will be 2 - 3 BIG announcements for new developments downtown. Take your best shot at what you think they will be. I'll give it a shot:

Jack Buchanan and his group will announce a new mixed use condo development at the West Michigan Mailers building they just bought. He is too ambitious to just sit back and watch everyone else build up.

Grand Action will announce fund-raising visions for the MSU Med School, the Civic Theatre, and for a riverfront Performing Arts Center. The Performing Arts Center will be on the scale of these in Kansas City and Madison:

186_0.jpg

header-vision.jpg

It will go either at the post office site, or unfortunately, the surface lot at Market and Fulton (better spot for a high rise).

Disclaimer: this is total speculation, so don't think I have any inside connections or anything :)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that is a cool looking building! Is this in Kansas City?

As for predictions, I think it is pretty easy: the Med School location, Grand Action will talk about their performing arts center, Olds Manor -> Post office (the first two are like shooting fish in a barrel (is that actually easy? :)), the third is pure speculation as well.

I think Jack Buchanan could wait a bit on his WAM building plans. He could probably knock it down, build a parking lot and make money that way until he decides what to do. When I worked in the Brassworks building, parking was short. They added the lot a couple of blocks away but that was a pain. I also parked in "covered parking" in an old industrial building for a while, but I don't think they offer that anymore.

Joe

Just for kicks, I think that after work starts this fall on the Marriot and River House, there will be 2 - 3 BIG announcements for new developments downtown.  Take your best shot at what you think they will be.  I'll give it a shot:

Jack Buchanan and his group will announce a new mixed use condo development at the West Michigan Mailers building they just bought.  He is too ambitious to just sit back and watch everyone else build up.

Grand Action will announce fund-raising visions for the MSU Med School, the Civic Theatre, and for a riverfront Performing Arts Center.  The Performing Arts Center will be on the scale of these in Kansas City and Madison:

186_0.jpg

It will go either at the post office site, or unfortunately, the surface lot at Market and Fulton (better spot for a high rise).

Disclaimer:  this is total speculation, so don't think I have any inside connections or anything :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

House of Blues- Grand Rapids. (since we were just talking about this recently) Well maybe not next, but sometime this year. I spoke with a sales rep where I work today who deals daily with the Gilmore Group and he mentioned to me that there has been lots of negotiations going on with House of Blues. Let's hope that works out!

Here are my thoughts about Downtown's West side:

1. The West side will see a surge of growth due to the GVSU expansion. The buildings along Front Street, south of Fulton will be redeveloped. Either DeVries redevelops their building along Fulton and the S-Curve, or they'll sell it, and the new owner will turn it into condos/apartments to compete with the GVSU dorms. 280 Front Street has a lot of potential as well. A canoe drop in will be placed south of the fishladder, connecting to Millennium Park.

1b. In an effort to help the City out with the budget, the Parking Commission will sell off the surface parking lots, north of Fulton. The new YWCA's front door facade will face a small parking lot and multiple buildings.

1c. Since Mercantile's new building on Leonard towers the buildings along the river, Front Street property owners will sell their lots to developers. These developers will demo the old buildings to make way for buildings taller or the same as the Mercantile building, offering prime office/condo units with a great view.

My biggest wish is that the S-Curve/131 (from Ann to Wealthy Street) and 196 (from Fuller to Lake Michigan Drive) are voted on as being a "view blockers" and will be reclaimed by the City for a waterfront park and to reconnect the north/south streets along 196. Wilson Ave and Three Mile will be rebuilt similar to Lake Shore Drive, to redirect traffic back onto 196 and 131. Portland, Oregon took back Harbor Drive, why can't we?

If I could figure out how to post pictures directly in this message, I could show you some of the beautiful houses that were demolished for 131. We dug out land for 196, to build up 131.

I'll save the east side of the river for later.

Peace,

Grid Girl, the Urban Warrior

Wow, that is a cool looking building! Is this in Kansas City?

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, Kansas City, Missouri:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/lofivers....php/t2296.html

Come on Joe, you must have some predictions or insider gossip you can share? Connect the dots, maybe?

GRGridGirl:

Wow! You are quite the visionary ;) See this post for photos:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12050

I didn't know how either, and now I can't stop :blink:

Well considering the Towers development, VAI II, and the Cancer Center are off this list now - and most likely proceding...

I would have to say something around GVUS. Probably apartments, probably not all that big. In my opinion, downtown may have to settle for a year or two to absorb all of what is actually going on. I could also see more North and South of downtown but nothing spectacular.

By the end of the decade I expect early plans for new Federal, State, City, and County structures. It has been too long, and they are all ina world of hurt in terms of their current locations. The County may be the first to make the move to the river front, probably followed by the Federal and State.

I thought that the performing arts center was not to be downtown. I was under the impression that they all but announced that the 'big' announcement was to be an outdoor amplitheater in Millenium Park.

Wishful announcements:

1. Amway buys up the post office site, tears it down, and constructs a 30 story Westin Hotel.

2. Steelcase decides to completely abandon its campus out on 44th & Eastern, and moves its headquarters in to a newly built Lyon & Ottawa tower.

3. A developer buys and tears down the GR Press building on Michigan St. In its place they build a mixed use tower with retail completely filling the ground floor.

Realistic announcements:

1. A new performing arts center will be built along the banks of the Grand River on the SW corner of Market and Fulton.

2. MSU will locate their Med School in the new Towers project on Michigan St.

3. The Civic Theatre will be completely renovated to include apartments and ground level retail.

It sure would be nice if all of the above could come true.

1. Amway buys up the post office site, tears it down, and constructs a 30 story Westin Hotel.

3. A developer buys and tears down the GR Press building on Michigan St. In its place they build a mixed use tower with retail completely filling the ground floor.

I think its only a matter of time before the Post Office moves to the airport and someone scoops up that spot and builds a tower in the 15-20 range.

Also, the GR Press bldg also screams to be built up.

My big announcement echoe's an earlier post in that we will see a major mixed use tower take over the calder plaza area. Its the perfect place for street level retail, hotel rooms, and maybe condos due to its excellent location.

Grid Girl,

There is a topic on how to add images. I would love to see some of the buildings they ripped down.

Joe

If I could figure out how to post pictures directly in this message, I could show you some of the beautiful houses that were demolished for 131.  We dug out land for 196, to build up 131. 

I'll save the east side of the river for later.

Peace,

Grid Girl, the Urban Warrior

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

House of Blues- Grand Rapids. (since we were just talking about this recently) Well maybe not next, but sometime this year. I spoke with a sales rep where I work today who deals daily with the Gilmore Group and he mentioned to me that there has been lots of negotiations going on with House of Blues. Let's hope that works out!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, my speculating was pretty good. Was I the only one who didn't know about this <_< If you have never been to the House of Blues in Chicago, you need to get in your car and go. The place is hot! Here is a Slide Show. It would put downtown GR entertainment on the map, for sure. They don't even have one in the Detroit area. I just love live music in a setting like that B)

GRDad, as I said before (although I think I actually said Hard Rock Cafe :P ), the word in the newspaper was that HOB was looking at Grand Rapids and Detroit (near Ford Field).

If I were the House of Blues, I would pick GR as opposed to Ford Field. While Ford field is great, it does not host many events per year. The Entertainment district of downtown is much more lively (and much more evenly distanced between Cleveland and Chicago, which was one of their reasons for doing it).

I sent a message to House of Blues last year stating GR's case. Alas, I never heard anything back from them.

Joe

Wow, my speculating was pretty good.  Was I the only one who didn't know about this <_<  If you have never been to the House of Blues in Chicago, you need to get in your car and go.  The place is hot!  Here is a Slide Show.  It would put downtown GR entertainment on the map, for sure.  They don't even have one in the Detroit area.  I just love live music in a setting like that B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A "short-timer" here had this to say about Jack Buchanan and his moves in the North Monroe area:

"At the June 10th annual meeting of the Monroe North Business Association, developer Jack Buchanan of Blue Bridge Ventures pitched a plan to demolish the Western American Mailer and GR Spring industrial facilities for a "mixed-use" development of those properties."

Source: Local Area Watch

Although, as usual, I don't agree with his rant (Tingley's)

I wonder when Blue Bridge is going to go public? Anyone at this meeting and hear any feedback? The GR Spring facility is across the street. I wonder if he plans to ask for the street to be vacated, or somehow tie the projects together?

Very interesting. Yes, Tingley is very anti-development in the North Monroe district. I can see protecting his investment, but he seems downright negative about everything. Of course, he got kicked off this forum recently so we can't really ask him why he is so negative.

I can't wait to hear too. I hope they build some density on the WAM site because I actually think that building could be rehabbed into something nice. I talked to Jack Buchanan when I worked in the Brassworks building and he said the owners were asking MAJOR $$$ for it (did Azzar own it ;) ). Maybe the only way to develop it economically was to go big...

Joe

A "short-timer" here had this to say about Jack Buchanan and his moves in the North Monroe area:

"At the June 10th annual meeting of the Monroe North Business Association, developer Jack Buchanan of Blue Bridge Ventures pitched a plan to demolish the Western American Mailer and GR Spring industrial facilities for a "mixed-use" development of those properties."

Source:  Local Area Watch

Although, as usual, I don't agree with his rant (Tingley's)

I wonder when Blue Bridge is going to go public?  Anyone at this meeting and hear any feedback?  The GR Spring facility is across the street.  I wonder if he plans to ask for the street to be vacated, or somehow tie the projects together?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This would explain what is happening to GR Spring on Bond Street to make way for Blue Bridge's plans:

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/Nav/Login.htm?Art...2-D2F1B7BBAB88} Who has a login?

I'll paraphrase:

Stamped Out

By Business Journal Staff

Enough, apparently, is enough. After years of battling with the city over everything from roof balloons (it was a sign, you know) to Ren Zones, it looks like Grand Rapids Spring & Stamping is taking its world-class manufacturing elsewhere.

I do. Basically it says that Jack Buchanan has signed on an architect from New York to develop the WAM / GR Spring site. Zawacki says he will be out of the locale in 2-5 years.

I'm glad to see this happen. I just don't think Commercial/Residential fit with Industrial properties. It would be bad for the city to lose the tax $$$ to the suburbs, but I think they might just be happy to see Zawacki go... :)

Joe

This would explain what is happening to GR Spring on Bond Street to make way for Blue Bridge's plans:

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/Nav/Login.htm?Art...2-D2F1B7BBAB88}  Who has a login?

I'll paraphrase:

Stamped Out

By Business Journal Staff

Enough, apparently, is enough. After years of battling with the city over everything from roof balloons (it was a sign, you know) to Ren Zones, it looks like Grand Rapids Spring & Stamping is taking its world-class manufacturing elsewhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived