Ghazi Project In Gastonia

Gastonite

It seems the Ghazis have finally turned their gaze upon Gastonia. They have drawn up plans for a 103,000 square foot shopping center, to be called The Shoppes at Franklin Square. It will be located across Church Street from Franklin Square Phase III, where the Sonny Hancock Hyundai is presently situated. This follows on the heels of an annoucement for a hotel and three restaurants to be built right off of interstate 85's exit 22 in Lowell.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a good area for development. I don't particularly like that it is essentially an extension of Franklin Square though. I have always been irritated by the massive slab of stores in that one location, and virtualy none in the rest of Gastonia.

I heard rumors once upon a time that there was another phase being planned for Franklin Square accross the boulevard. Anyone know about this?

That is a good area for development. I don't particularly like that it is essentially an extension of Franklin Square though. I have always been irritated by the massive slab of stores in that one location, and virtualy none in the rest of Gastonia.

I heard rumors once upon a time that there was another phase being planned for Franklin Square accross the boulevard. Anyone know about this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats the lineberger land...I doubt we'll ever see anything built there because of the nimby's in the neighborhood bordering the land.

Also, West Gastonia is slowlymaking it's way back on the retail scene...there's been alot of rumors about dixie village being bought out and a new retail complex going there with a lowes, outback and other stores.

Thats the lineberger land...I doubt we'll ever see anything built there because of the nimby's in the neighborhood bordering the land.

Also, West Gastonia is slowlymaking it's way back on the retail scene...there's been alot of rumors about dixie village being bought out and a new retail complex going there with a lowes, outback and other stores.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We keep hearing that rumor about Dixie Village, now that Wal-Mart is built, maybe it will come true.

We keep hearing that rumor about Dixie Village, now that Wal-Mart is built, maybe it will come true.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope so because I dont think Winn-Dixie there is long for this world...so it'll be mostly vacant if they leave.

Unfortunately all of this development is the worst kind of sprawlzilla there is. 74 through there is hopelessly choked with vehicles, there is no pedestrian activity and there is no way to get there unless you are in a car. It's unfortunate the ones in power there continue to allow this type of development to occur. Its especially sad considering the death of downtown Gastonia's once promising revitalization.

Unfortunately all of this development is the worst kind of sprawlzilla there is.  74 through there is hopelessly choked with vehicles, there is no pedestrian activity and there is no way to get there unless you are in a car.    It's unfortunate the ones in power there continue to allow this type of development to occur.  Its especially sad considering the death of downtown Gastonia's once promising revitalization.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As long as Gaston County continues to run budget deficits, which I see for the foreseeable future, they are going to approve any kind of big development, just to get a slice of the tax revenue.

Unfortunately all of this development is the worst kind of sprawlzilla there is.  74 through there is hopelessly choked with vehicles, there is no pedestrian activity and there is no way to get there unless you are in a car.    It's unfortunate the ones in power there continue to allow this type of development to occur.  Its especially sad considering the death of downtown Gastonia's once promising revitalization.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, they are going to trim franklin to 4 lanes with a divider in the downtown area(union road down to highway 321) in an attempt to help out the pedestrians.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could see that happening. It seems like a good area to redevelop even without that Wal-Mart accross the street.

As long as Gaston County continues to run budget deficits, which I see for the foreseeable future, they are going to approve any kind of big development, just to get a slice of the tax revenue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought the ghazi project was technically in Lowell?

• 7 months later...

I meant generally in the county, not just this one spot. As for Lowell, it will just about approve anything that comes across its path.

wow...hasn't been anything in a LONG time on this...

I was driving by the site the other day and they've begun demolishing the buildings...i guess it'll be another 8 months or so before the buildings are up.

just thought i'd update everyone.

Some more information on three new restaurants coming to the Shoppes at Franklin Square. I would link to the Gazette article, but you have to be a subscriber to view it. However, I do have the old fashioned print copy in my hands. :D

It basically says that Atlanta based Raving Brands is bringing three of its restaurants to the center. They include Moes Southwest Grill, Doc Greens Gourmet Salads, and Shane's Rib Shack. Has anybody eaten at these places before? Heres a link to Raving Brands website.

http://www.ravingbrands.com/

Archived