Empty Space all over the place?

real advanced in 616

Can anyone shed some light on what buildings downtown are abandon and still have the possibility of being refurbished. Cause I perceive the number of these structures to be dwindling. I almost forgot, there should be no excessive size surface parking lots or empty lots downtown. The city needs to do a better job of promoting their development with new strategies and incentives. Which would benefit the community and maybe attract those large-scale developments we so disparately need in Grand Rapids.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome real advanced,

Let me see, anything owned by Azzar (Kendall Building, Keeler Building, Grandville Fires Station). Olds Manor, the "Cellular Phone Tower" building next to the S Curve, the old Bicycle Factory near GVSU (what is McGraw doing with this?), still some between Commerce and S. Division.

There are plenty, but most of them are now on the outskirts of town.

Joe

Can anyone shed some light on what buildings downtown are abandon and still have the possibility of being refurbished.  Cause I perceive the number of these structures to be dwindling. I almost forgot, there should be no excessive size surface parking lots or empty lots downtown.  The city needs to do a better job of promoting their development with new strategies and incentives.  Which would benefit the community and maybe attract those large-scale developments we so disparately need in Grand Rapids.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It'd be great to have some major infill in the surface lots south of the Arena. If a ramp was built out there, it could help take some of the lost spaces that would be eaten up by developments. Along with my fantasy of Van Andel reaching its full potential through an expansion, (and possibly another main entrance or restaurant on the new south end) this could help make the south side of downtown really pick up and be a great sight approaching downtown from the south on 131.

I'd like to see:

1) 10-20 story offices/condos/whatever the heck as long as it works tower.

2) restauraunts

3) redevelopment of the beloved "cell-phone building" on the west side of the S-Curve.

-Huge tracts of land south of GVSU all the way to Wealthy.

-The remaining near west side city parking lots

-There is a building on Iona, just south of Taps, that is still undeveloped.

-Much of the area just west of St. Mary's hospital is empty lots, parking, run down buildings. St. Mary's also has two huge parking lots south of Wealthy.

-Tons of land south of Wealthy along south Division.

-Tillman's S. Division strip mall. ( Not unused. Just ugly as sin.)

-The parking lot that was once the "bus station" across the street from the court house.

- The parking lot for the downtown library.

the old Bicycle Factory near GVSU (what is McGraw doing with this

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My guess is that he's sitting on it. Have you ever looked at that building closely? That project doesn't become viable until Padnos goes away (When is that due to happen by the way?)

I asked Dan Durr about it awhile back. His response was, Well, it's a great place to hide a body right now.

Nitro

-Much of the area  just west of St. Mary's hospital is empty lots, parking, run down buildings. St. Mary's also has two huge parking lots south of Wealthy.

-The parking lot that was once the "bus station" across the street from the court house.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the Jefferson/Sheldon/State St/St Marys area is a great place and will be a new "hot spot". Put something really cool in the old Grand Rapids Museum, you have UICA, etc. It has a distinctive neighborhood feel to it, and 2 - 3 mid-rise new condos would totally change that area. I really like the courtyard apartment building near Cherry and State, and the old firestation and little law office building on State :thumbsup:

there was a recent article in the gr magazine that quoted 12 bldgs remained abandoned in the dt area, which if you take out azznar then that about slices that # in half.

truly not too bad and i would imagine within ten years they can all be eliminated.

Good catch GR Urbanist. I have wondered for YEARS why the building next to Tannery Row has sat empty. It could be really nice, and I am sure many developers have approached the owners. Does anyone know why it hasn't sold? I have two theories: 1) It's owned by a out of state trust and they don't care 2) Azzar owns it and is asking 9.3 million for it :)

Joe

-There is a building on Iona, just south of Taps, that is still undeveloped.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good catch GR Urbanist. I have wondered for YEARS why the building next to Tannery Row has sat empty. It could be really nice, and I am sure many developers have approached the owners. Does anyone know why it hasn't sold? I have two theories: 1) It's owned by a out of state trust and they don't care 2) Azzar owns it and is asking 9.3 million for it :)

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yah, but where would Richmond Stamp go then? :P Accesskent shows 22 and 26 Ionia owned locally, and 26 owned by a local trust. I won't post names here to avoid a flood, but they are easily found at Kent County ;)

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My understanding is that the guy that owns it is a barber or something and just wants to sit on it and save it for his retirement. I could be wrong though, it wouldn't be the first time. :thumbsup:

Nitro

Good catch GR Urbanist. I have wondered for YEARS why the building next to Tannery Row has sat empty. It could be really nice, and I am sure many developers have approached the owners. Does anyone know why it hasn't sold? I have two theories: 1) It's owned by a out of state trust and they don't care 2) Azzar owns it and is asking 9.3 million for it

I thought I heard a that the guy who bought Richmond Stamp from the original owners agreed to not move the business. Several developers have approached him in the past, but his answer has been either no or an astronomical asking price.

Richmond stamp is in the adjacent building. I hope they do stay there, it adds a little nostalgia to the block. I am talking about the Italianate building between Urban House and Richmond Stamp. I'm sure Sam Cummings had to have attempted to buy this building before the boom.

GRDad, name names... :) We're all friends here. :)

Joe

I thought I heard a that the guy who bought Richmond Stamp from the original owners agreed to not move the business.  Several developers have approached him in the past, but his answer has been either no or an astronomical asking price.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Richmond stamp is in the adjacent building. I hope they do stay there, it adds a little nostalgia to the block. I am talking about the Italianate building between Urban House and Richmond Stamp. I'm sure Sam Cummings had to have attempted to buy this building before the boom.

GRDad, name names... :) We're all friends here. :)

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alright, alright. I mean it is public knowledge available at no cost anyway :D

22 Ionia, PP# 411325429017, Douglas Storrs, 1101 Dayton SW, GRR

26 Ionia, PP# 411325429006, Paul Newhof Trust, 1816 Observatory, GRR

If an attorney shows up at my door, it was nice knowing you guys :P

Hey what about the surface parking lot and the weed infested dirt lot on Monroe next to I-96. These are great location cause of there proximity to the river. These sites are also shadowed by the Brass Iron works development and the possible future icon on bond. I think the big parking next to the auto shop on Monroe would make a nice location for a movie theater. Only if the owners of the lot, the county I think? Would sell this site to developers. Then we could possibly see a

• 2 weeks later...

There are actually quite a few surface lots in the immediate downtown that are large enough to support significant developments -- many of which are owned by the Ellis Family Trust. Ellis is sitting on a fortune of under-utilized asphalt.

Archived