FAMU

Florida

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not if the school hopes to make a new image for itself. It needs a fresh face, from the outside, or it needs someone with awesome ideas who can quickly energize the press and get the school some good publicity. Im afraid she might not be able to do it, simply because of the fact that she has already had her share of controversy.

Yea things are turning around at FAMU. Look like they are getting back on track.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

FAMU's issues are not the kind that can be fixed in 2 months...or even 2 years really. The NIH threatened to deny them grants. That is like an A Bomb being dropped on them. That alone is massive....the financial issues have been around for at least a decade if not longer. I don't know how Humphries did it...but he seemed to make things work to a point. Since him, FAMU has really gone down hill. In higher ed, if you are not growing (not student numbers but money), having huge increases in endowments/research, you are falling behind in a big way. I don't even think FAMU knows what their issues are yet....hell they haven't even hired the folks that are to fix them...so they surely haven't fixed the problems yet. I hope they do, FAMU deserves better.

FYI, I have also heard less than good things about their BOT as mentioned above.

^He's right about that! The band is the Pride of FAMU. Why isn't the school better known for its music program? Why aren't they working to spruce up their music facilities?

Florida A&M interim president Castell Bryant announced today that the National Science Foundation has agreed to continue funding 14 NSF-sponsored programs. So all hope is not lost there... thank goodness!

But the board is a bit lathargic at getting people in the right places quick enough. As soon as they learn to be urgent with these issues, the better off the school will. I just thank God they aren't doctors, else everyone in the hospital would die.

my god... the first time i heard the marching 100 i had a moment! what an awsome thing to have as an asset... maybe the band can march famu out of this PR problem they are facing... i realize once the problem people are gone, things can become better, but the band itself could save the image of the school. i think there should be more tallahassee showcasses of thier talent...

FAMU's issues are not the kind that can be fixed in 2 months...or even 2 years really.  The NIH threatened to deny them grants.  That is like an A Bomb being dropped on them.  That alone is massive....the financial issues have been around for at least a decade if not longer.  I don't know how Humphries did it...but he seemed to make things work to a point.  Since him, FAMU has really gone down hill.  In higher ed, if you are not growing (not student numbers but money), having huge increases in endowments/research, you are falling behind in a big way.  I don't even think FAMU knows what their issues are yet....hell they haven't even hired the folks that are to fix them...so they surely haven't fixed the problems yet.  I hope they do, FAMU deserves better.

FYI, I have also heard less than good things about their BOT as mentioned above.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was being optimistic. Things are getting better at FAMU! Not like we want it to be, but they are. FAMU has not fixed all their problems, yes we do know that but we can't keep thinking negatively. Surely and hopefully but not to slowly, FAMU will be where they are suppose to be. They are trying to get back on the right track.

^Absolutely. If the school and the community continue to think negatively about everything we consider a problem, rather than go at it with a can-do attitude nothing will get better. So I stand with you and your optimism. When the right people are put in place then we shall see what is to be. But surely the band couldn't hurt in reparing their image. But sure I think FAMU's music program all around should be more popular.

I heard something about July 22nd for FAMU. Whatever it was it was really important and I should of caught on to it. I want to say that is the date they will announce the new head coach for the Rattlers. Does anyone have any info on this? And everyone please watch for this date.

Well I don't know much about the canidates they've narrowed the job down to, but they all seem well qualified. July 22nd ought to be the date they decide, it shouldn't take forever, those players need a leader to get them on track for the new school year. This is gonna be a rough season.

I'm going to jump off the Coach topic really quick and say I truly don't appreciate some of the members in the FAMU student government. Talk about taking advantage of power, they get $1500 Shopping Sprees for clothing of their choice, this is only reserved for those at the high end of the student government, all of the Presidents and Pro-Tempores, then theres the Laptop computers that are purchased for them, the Cell Phones they make their student body pay for, and the lavish restaurants that students fund with their A&S fees. Im not complaining about the fact that certain FAMU SGA officials namely those with President in their title... clears throat... are funneling money out of the student budget, but I am concerned there is far too much personal gain involved... namely the $1500 clothing shopping spree.

Some of those SGA members truly think they are in the US Congress or something... I mean they've got their heads WAY up there.... not only have I learned students must pay to clothe their SGA members, but they must also pay to wardrobe Mr. & Miss. FAMU, the same people who spend thousands just to be elected. If they can't afford their own clothes, or do not have their own clothes to wear, they need not apply for office.

Oh sure it is. The senate allocates the funds for things like that so they don't have to give the money back to the administration. I'd rather see the money used to promote economic development around campus, or to buy new computers for the school's libraries, or to beautify the campus.

Archived