Pittsburgh's Global Companies

PghUSA

I have decided to classify some of the different assets that are present here in SW Pennsylvania, I welcome any such threads about Philadelphia's industries as well (I don't pretend to be an expert on Philly just an interested observer :) )

PITTSBURGH FINANCE

about_s.jpg

500 Grant Street, Pittsburgh PA Founded 1869

5th Largest Financial Services company in the world.

Ranked #1 by Fortune for America's most admired Financial Services Company!

Ranked #1 Corporate Leadership by USBanker Magazine

Ranked #4 US Money Management Company by P&I

168+ Branches in 28 States

71+ Branches in 17 Foreign Countries

$4.9 Billion in 2004 Sales

$4 Trillion in 2004 Assets Under Management, administration or custody.

Subsidaries:

~~~DreyfusLogo1.gif

~~~sm_logo2.gif

Russell Mellon

. . . . THEY MANAGE AND ADMINISTER THE:

. . . . . . . . Russell 2000 US Stock Index!

. . . . . . . . FTSE European Stock Index!

. . . . . . . . Nomura Japanese Stock Index!

Mellon Capital Management

Mellon Global Investments

Mellon Investment Services

Mellon Ventures

Joint Ventures:

CIBCMellon (Canada)

MellonABNAMRO (Europe/Asia)

Mellon also produced the longest serving U.S. Treasury Chief (over a span of three administrations!)

==============

masthead5.jpg

429 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA Founded 1852

Bank or Brokerage or Mortgage Branches in 22 States

Operations in 38 States

Branches in 6 Foreign Countries.

6th Largest ATM Network in the world.

-exclusive NJ and PA Turnpike Systems contract

-exclusive contract with world's largest mall network

Large Ownership steaks:

Black Rock Financial

$761 million in 2004 Sales

$400 billion in 2004 Assets Under Management

(these numbers are not counted towards PNC's book b/c Blackrock is not a pure subsidary)

==============

highmarkLogo.gif

120 Fifth Avenue Pittsburgh, PA Founded 1936?

Largest Insurance Co. in Pennsylvania,

Largest Insurance Co. in West Virginia,

59 Offices in 19 States.

==============

federated_head.gif

1001 Liberty Avenue Pittsburgh PA Founded 1955

-Top 10 Funds in Assets

-130+ Funds

$847 million in 2004 sales.

Subsidaries:

The Kaufman Funds

PITTSBURGH TECHNOLOGY

==================

little_logo.gif

5001 Baum Blvd. Pittsburgh, PA

Founded 2000

WORLD'S LARGEST ONLINE FREELANCE EXCHANGE

Close to 500,000 Freelance members

Close to 50,000 Business members

===================

home_top-03.gif

5000 Baum Blvd. Pittsburgh, PA

Founded 1991

WORLD'S THIRD OLDEST ISP!

8,000+ Clients

Operates and Maintains 150+ hotspots in Pennsylvania and the west coast.

==================

vivisimo_logo.gif

2435 Beechwood Blvd. Pittsburgh PA

Founded 2000

A "Top 100" site by PC Magazine

Twice chosen as "The best Meta-Search Engine" by Search Engine Watch

A "Top 100 companies that matter most" by KM World each of the last three years

2nd most popular search engine (tied with Yahoo) by About.com users

Companies with major operations in Pittsburgh:

pittsburgh.gifOne of only four global research labs.

=======================

logo_www_seagate.gif

Research Global Headquarters

Sony_logo.gif

One of only three North American Technology Centers

3,300 employees

Primary Sony plant for "liquid-crystal-display televisions, and a new line of 70-inch high-definition sets that will use Sony’s new Silicon X-tal Reflective Display technology", as well as Sony Plasma TVs.

FIRST U.S. CENTER OWNED AND OPERATED BY A FOREIGN MULITNATIONAL

logo_nokia.gif

One of only eight global research centers

ariba_logo.gif

East Coast HQ

logo.gif

North American HQ

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have decided to classify some of the different assets that are present here in SW Pennsylvania, I welcome any such threads about Philadelphia's industries as well (I don't pretend to be an expert on Philly just an interested observer) :)

Here's a breakdown of Pittsburgh's Retail powerhouses:

ae_logo2.gif

150 Thorn Hill Drive Warrendale, PA

Founded 1977

$1.9 Billion in 2004 sales.

850+ Locations throughout the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.

header_logo.gif

300 Industry Drive Pittsburgh, PA

Founded 1948

LARGEST SPORTS RETAILER IN THE WORLD

$2.2 Billion in 2004 sales.

181 Locations in 30 states and growing fast.

logo_gnc.jpg

300 Sixth Avenue Pittsburgh, PA

Founded 1935

LARGEST NUTRITION RETAILER IN THE WORLD

$1.3 Billion in 2004 sales.

5,000+ U.S./Canadian Stores

800+ locations in 35+ Foreign Markets

84lumber_logo.jpg

1019 PA 519 Eighty Four, PA

Founded 1956

$3.5 Billion in 2004 sales.

500+ stores in 35+ states.

Giant%20Eagle%20Logo.jpg

101 Kappa Drive Pittsburgh, PA

Founded 1931

$5.1 Billion in 2004 sales.

385 Locations in 4 states

ONE OF THE LARGEST PRIVATELY HELD COMPANIES IN THE U.S.

I really bemoan the old NRM (National Record Mart) loss just a few years back, they got squeezed out of the market by the changing dynamics of the recording industry (online retailers, the WalMartization and BestBuyization of America and the labels decision to only support two or three "mall retailers" and effectively shut out the #4 and #5 players like the rapidly expanding NRM, didn't they have locations in 40 states or so by the time they fell?).

Kaufman's although the brand was HQed here it was owned by May since the 40s I think so in a way it would NEVER expand it was basically frozen into its region since it was the "regional" representative of May's branches. Left on its own Kaufmann's was at the time of take over every bit as potent as Sears was or Bloomies etc. and could have grown like them through the 50s 60s and beyond. I still liked having the namesake around the Burgh and E. Ohio and W.V. but now even that looks like it won't happen anymore.

Kaufman's although the brand was HQed here it was owned by May since the 40s I think so in a way it would NEVER expand it was basically frozen into its region since it was the "regional" representative of May's branches.  Left on its own Kaufmann's was at the time of take over every bit as potent as Sears was or Bloomies etc. and could have grown like them through the 50s 60s and beyond.  I still liked having the namesake around the Burgh and E. Ohio and W.V. but now even that looks like it won't happen anymore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know about the Kaufmann's brand playing too well outside of the immediate Pgh area though. Keep in mind that other cities also had independent home-town department stores that were as potent if not more so than Kaufmann's (e.g., Nordstrom in Seattle, Sears in Chicago, and Gimbel's in Philadelphia). If anything, the May take-over caused the expansion of Kaufmann's since May investment grew the Kaufman's name and future May acquisitions in other markets merged chains into Kaufman's. Also May allowed the Kaufmann's name to expand itno the Cleveland area by merging its May Co. stores into Kaufmann's.

Perhaps one chain to add to the list, howeve, is Joseph Horne & Co. True, they were never as big as Kaufmann's but they were a true independent Pgh-based chain which expanded into the Cleveland market (before pulling back).

I think BY FAR, the most potentent Pgh-retailer (if it can be called that) is PNC which has a presence coast to coast.

If anything, the May take-over caused the expansion of Kaufmann's since May investment grew the Kaufman's name and future May acquisitions in other markets merged chains into Kaufman's.  Also May allowed the Kaufmann's name to expand itno the Cleveland area by merging its May Co. stores into Kaufmann's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a good point. Were it not for May Company, there's a good chance Kaufmann's could have been confined to Western Pennsylvania.

For those in the Philadelphia or Central PA regions feel free to document your regions assetts. I am trying to keep the format pretty similar but we can post it as a pin at the top of the forum ;)

Urban, thats right, I saw some Dellallo (I think they were spagetti sauce or tomato sauce) jars for sale next to Ragu and others in Florida of all places.

Though I wouldn't classify them as retail (they are more like Heinz or DelMonte or Clark Bars in that they sell to the retailers) I am really rooting for them to succeed nationally!

Archived