Symphony Condominiums

Florida

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I think its nice. There is a total of three buildings, there is a courtyard in the middle of the buildings with a pool area and what not. The building looks much better in color, but I will be unable to get a color photo until my video of the proposal is found.

• 4 weeks later...

Murphy,

FSU has a height limitation on it's buildings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you don't mind my asking, what is the height limitation? Does it only apply to FSU? I ask since The Symphony is to be placed across the street from campus and will rise to a signifigant height. In my opinion, FSU would do well to invest in building new buildings with heights similar to Bellamy and Ditmer.

If you don't mind my asking, what is the height limitation?  Does it only apply to FSU?  I ask since The Symphony is to be placed across the street from campus and will rise to a signifigant height.  In my opinion, FSU would do well to invest in building new buildings with heights similar to Bellamy and Ditmer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think FSU's height limit is around 4-5 stories. You will never see that change. More than likely, a few of the high rise dorms will come down eventually (too much risk regarding fire issues).

FSU's height limit is self imposed (building guidelines) and from zoing. The Symphony got the zoning change upon request.

lol! Even on some of the historic structures the height rises well above 90ft or 8 stories. I've seen buildings as tall as 10 stories on campus, more than residential dorms I might add, look at doak. It doesn't hurt FSU to have taller buildings on and around campus when they've been designed as beautifully as this Symphony Condominium has.

lol! Even on some of the historic structures the height rises well above 90ft or 8 stories. I've seen buildings as tall as 10 stories on campus, more than residential dorms I might add, look at doak. It doesn't hurt FSU to have taller buildings on and around campus when they've been designed as beautifully as this Symphony Condominium has.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Name the most recent building built higher than 5 stories.

I am not debating the merits of taller....I am simply stating that FSU is no longer building anything taller than 5 stories. As I said, name the last building they built higher than 5. Simply stating a fact.

Hmm... Well, the T. K. Wetherell building around Doak Campbell Stadium rises to, what, 8 stories at its highest? And that's about 10 years old now? How tall is the new College of Medicine building? Also, I know this doesn't count as new construction, but I believe they renovated Bellamy only a few years ago.

Name the most recent building built higher than 5 stories.

I am not debating the merits of taller....I am simply stating that FSU is no longer building anything taller than 5 stories.  As I said, name the last building they built higher than 5.  Simply stating a fact.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm... how about Doak S. Campbell Stadium University Centers A and B each 8 or 9 stories Tall... then there's the "New Hall" completed in 2003.

Hmm...  Well, the T. K. Wetherell building around Doak Campbell Stadium rises to, what, 8 stories at its highest?  And that's about 10 years old now?  How tall is the new College of Medicine building?  Also, I know this doesn't count as new construction, but I believe they renovated Bellamy only a few years ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They built the TK building to rise above the stadium. The COM is about 5 stories and Bellamy was a renovation. I never claimed that they won't renovate buildings over 5 stories.

Not sure why people are upset about this. I was simply pointing something out.

FSU won't renovate those.  They are basically have too many issues to make renovation possible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are currently renovations underway in 3 highrise historic dorm buildings on campus. The outsides of the buildings are being preserved while the interiors are being gutted and redone. I believe Clupepper is doing the work, but I'll have to check to make sure.

They are renovating some of the more historic dorms like Landis. But the uglier dorms near the College of Medicine like Kellum won't likely be renovated, they will be torn down...but not anytime soon from what I understand.

http://64.233.187.104/u/nole?q=cache:zSV5v...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

"Because it has been recommended that FSU use a four- to five-story standard building height (about 50- to 55-feet on average, excluding roof) to preserve the historic proportions used on campus"

This is what I have been pointing out. FSU has a standard of 4 to 5 story limit guideline.

Not sure why people are upset about this.  I was simply pointing something out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not upset, I'm just enjoying the debate. :) It just strikes me that if the height restriction is self-imposed, and if FSU is running out of room to expand outwardly, it definitely makes sense to me for them to expand upward. The existence of Bellamy, Ditmer, Wetherell, and some of the dorms shows that taller buildings properly placed would not seem terribly out of place.

Is everyone familiar with those smaller townhouse-like buildings along the brick walkway part of Woodward? It seems to me that there would be a great place to remove the older existing structures and build a single large building.

I'm not upset, I'm just enjoying the debate.  :)  It just strikes me that if the height restriction is self-imposed, and if FSU is running out of room to expand outwardly, it definitely makes sense to me for them to expand upward.  The existence of Bellamy, Ditmer, Wetherell, and some of the dorms shows that taller buildings properly placed would not seem terribly out of place. 

Is everyone familiar with those smaller townhouse-like buildings along the brick walkway part of Woodward?  It seems to me that there would be a great place to remove the older existing structures and build a single large building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Woodward or on Jefferson?

The limit is self imposed I believe, but i think the city reflects the limits with their zoning...not sure on that.

You could debate it no doubt, but most of what FSU is building like the College of Medicine building, the dorm on Jefferson, the new Psych building, the Life Sciences building, the new parking garages, the new student life building, etc are at or less than 5 stories. I believe Sandy help set this guidelines (arch ones also).

FSU does have a huge issue with lack of land, but I don't see that being solved anytime soon. I think FSU should just cap enrollment at 40K try to expand the campus what little they can and be done with that....short of having a 2nd campus.

Woodward or on Jefferson?

The limit is self imposed I believe, but i think the city reflects the limits with their zoning...not sure on that.

You could debate it no doubt, but most of what FSU is building like the College of Medicine building, the dorm on Jefferson, the new Psych building, the Life Sciences building, the new parking garages, the new student life building, etc are at or less than 5 stories.  I believe Sandy help set this guidelines (arch ones also).

FSU does have a huge issue with lack of land, but I don't see that being solved anytime soon.  I think FSU should just cap enrollment at 40K try to expand the campus what little they can and be done with that....short of having a 2nd campus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're on the right side of Woodward if you were walking toward Jefferson from the three-peron statue. Sort of between the parking garage that contains the bookstore and the maintenance building.

I like your idea of capping enrollment. It may not be a pleasant alternative to FSU, but it may be at least a temporary solution to the problem.

Is anyone familiar with that new building near the Stone building? I think it's a two story building. There may indeed be a rational explanation for this, and I don't want to come off as too critical of FSU, but it seems that with land being as scarce as it is on campus, new buildings ought to at least rise to the fullest allowable height under FSU's guidelines. In my humble opinion, that is.

Archived