Symphony Condominiums

Florida

^You make a good point Relient and I like your approach to turning smaller buildings into one large building, sounds like something I'd propose.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! And this may well be something that FSU has looked into. Like I said, I don't want to come off as too critical of FSU. I know they can't do everything all at once.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that building is the new dining facility

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the buildings I'm thinking about are sort of diagonally across the street from the building that has the new 50's style diner.

TaureanJ, I too am looking forward to seeing how The Symphony will work with the school. If it looks like the rendering we've seen, I think it'll fit nicely, visually at least.

^I'm glad you agree... honestly... I'd like to see FSU purchase some of those small homes and run down apartments near campus along the Pensacola St corridor and turn those into parking and classroom spaces... that area would be perfect for expanding the campus... I honestly think this would help to alleviate some of the landlock stress... College Avenue still isn't out of the question for FSU... classroom space would go well there where the frat kids have moved out... and the name of the road doesn't hurt the cause.

I'm slightly concerned though that FSU won't be able to afford more land in that area. Their response to Thy Symphony seemed to imply that they couldn't afford to bid high enough for the land The Symphony is to occupy. With projects like The Symphony and The Village I wouldn't be surprised if the value of the land in that area rose considerably. What if FSU literally can't afford to expand?

FSU is limited in a couple of ways.

The first is when they buy a property, the state mandates a brutally bureaucratic process that requires multiple appraisels, etc. In the end, it does not allow FSU to actually pay market value in many cases, especially in today's red hot real estate market. This has happened at multiple properties near campus. FSU simple is not allowed to offer the owner a legitmate price.

The second is the state has maybe give FSU money once in the last 5-7 years for land acquisition and it was a small amount of money. The last allotment was a year or two ago and Gov. Bush veto it. FSU just has very little money to spend because the state won't fund it.

So FSU really has it's hands tied. It is to fault for not planning better 30-40 years ago, but that is the past (although, I make a case that FSU needs to plan for alternatives now and that means a second campus or a legitimate research campus....the 2nd being highly unlikely).

College Avenue is not going to be where FSU expands to. The fraternities that own there aren't moving. Sigma Chi is one (I actually just spoke to their Grad Advisor) that is staying (but developers are knocking down their door) and KA is the other (just built a 1.2 Million dollar house). Then you have new condos going up there. So FSU won't expand to College Avenue.

Pensacola Stree with the 'old houses' would seem like FSU's next direction, but with no money, developers buying up lots, and the city making Franklin Street a through way (in the future)....I even doubt that happens.

In many ways, FSU is screwed here (forgive the language)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to our new friend from the FSView... Construction of the Symphony will begin November 1st. The project is to take a year to complete... and as a side note of information units are going from about $225,000 and up.

Floorplans are available at the Symphony Condominium website.

Archived