Symphony Condominiums

Florida

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a little observation...

Today while driving (something I don't care to do much anymore) down Gaines Street heading east, I look up and see a huge billboard for The Symphony Condominiums... with units starting at $200,000!

Signs are promising. I love to see these advertisements, often times I get the feeling the masses have no clue whats going on. This is truly great!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm not quite sure if this counts for anything but I did see a fence erected around the Symphony site with a green tarp around it. This is usually a sign of progress but I've not called to check on anything. However from the online database it appears Dixie Paving & Grading will be the company charged with clearing the site. And Courtelis Company will be the contractor for the project. Dixie is a Tallahassee company, Courtelis is out of Miami. Permits were issued 9-22-05.

That is what was originally reported. I've not recieved any updates from ADAR on the status of its projects. They like to direct inquiries to Southland Commercial of Tallahassee, but whenever I've called, a nice young lady answers the phone, tells me the person with the answers I seek isn't there, forwards me to some random voice mail system, I leave a message and never get a response. I'm only left to go off of the information available to me on Velocity (Growth Management Information System) and the Tallahassee Democrat.

• 2 months later...

Copeland @ Tennessee

CopelandTennessee.jpg

Over in the area today, I figured I'd take a shot of the intersection of Copeland and Tennessee Street. This will be the busiest intersection near the project... as you can see, it's already suited to support the 90 residential units going in, so not much work will need to be done to this road.

The Floridan project will require Call street to be converted into a 2 way street. This may affect the Symphony project, and FSU commuter somewhat. I've yet to have the time to think of the side affects of such a change.

Despite what FSU thinks, I think this will be a great addition to the area.

I too have been particularly excited about this project. The successful integration of the FSU campus with downtown is crucial to the larger mission of making Tallahassee urban - day and night. If we can get faculty, graduate students, and the citizenry at large to share a high-end dwelling like Symphony, then formerly discrete communities will be meeting and sharing interests of home, shopping, dining, transportation and pedestrian concerns in ways that Tallahassee has not seen - ways that will make real downtown neighborhoods out of inert city blocks.

If "FSU" thinks it has a problem bringing the city closer to campus, then these voices are not considering the greater benefits that will come from having good neighbors - improvements to roads, utilities, parks, retail options that will make FSU that much more attractive as a place to work and study.

^ I agree that this will likely be good for the city and FSU, but I don't blame FSU for fighting it. I'm just glad The Symphony is going forward. I appreciate the developer being sensitive to the building's future location and designing it to match the look of the campus.

Archived