The Villages of Kernan & Wynnfield Lakes

vladittude0583

Just like to let whoever is concerned, there's a new mixed-use type of subdivision in the works on Atlantic Blvd across the Hawkins Cove subdivision in addition to the construction of the Kohl's shopping center. Furthermore, there's another subdivision going up on Kernan Rd. south of the Wal-Mart Supercenter Shopping Area across from the newly installed traffic lights for the Kensington Subdivision called Wynnfield Lakes. Talk about a lot of new neighborhoods along this particular corridor. I wonder how they're going to work out the future planned expansions of Atlantic Blvd & Kernan Rd with these projects being constructed some time this year or early next year, which is the same time when the planned expansion for the two major intersections is slated to begin. What do you think?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I have to say is that, being a resident of Jacksonville living near Kernan Road, it's even more depresing now to find out that the implementation of the BJP on Kernan Road widening won't start until 2007!!! That's way tooo late in the future, Kernan Road needs it now. It's funny because it was supposed to start in 2005, but that never happened. Then it was postponed to late 2006 (which would be acceptable), but now with the budget shortfalls on the BJP, it's been pushed back again to 2007. Ironically, widening Kernan Road to six lanes was estimated around $40million+ at current rates in which they didn't have the money for but the city did manage to "take-out" a loan over $40million for the completion of Wonderwood from Merrill Road to Monument Road to fix the remaining two lane stretch into four lanes. I just want to know, how important is the entire "leg" of Wonderwood compared to the entire stretch of Kernan Road? I'm sure traffic isn't as bad on Wonderwood now since most of it is 4lanes, while Kernan Road along with all the new developments going up, is still majorly congested and probably one of the most congested roads in the whole city especially when school is back in session. Personally, I would've preferred the city taking out the loan to widen Kernan before finishing Wonderwood. What's your take?

Wonderwood is important in the city's eyes because it provides direct access to Mayport Naval Station (critical in todays world of base closures) and its an alternative to Atlantic, Beach and Butler.

Kernan needs to be widened ASAP, also. A couple of months ago, I looked at a condo off Kernan, but changed my mind after getting caught in rush hour traffic. I say, just kill off all the remaining overpass projects and replace them with duel or triple turning lanes at the major intersections. That should free up enough money to complete most of the BJP road projects.

Archived