Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

In the issue out tonight:

The success of the Golden Strip water park is indicative of plans for additional parks.

An ad for the Tower at Falls & Broad shows the rendering. It is very rough though. Offices - 1620 sq. ft $356,000 pre-construction. Residential units 1800 sq. ft $540,000 pre-construction. Website: thetoweratfallsandbroad.com

The Liberty Bridge wins an international award. I think this wasin the News earlier.

Article on the Local Option sales Tax. Has map of all counties that have it. Most of which are down-state. It cites the lack of support for it in the GSA area. Florence and Charleston are cited as examples of the benefits of the tax.

Groundbreaking will take place at the end of the month for the HUbbell Lighting HQ.

Bank of America will decide in the next few weeks whether to stay put or move to one of the new proposed towers.

A Clemson U. class is doing a feasibility study of a rail-based trolley from the campus to downtown Gville.

A restaurant is looking at opening in the Falls Place building. That's the older 3 or 4 story building next to the park entrance.

A new community Bank, BankGreenville is forming, and will announce it's initial location later this summer.

See other items under Greenville Mall and the Rails to Trails threads

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice idea for a thread, vic! You obviously get your Greenville Journal before I get mine. It's usually in my driveway by midnight each Thursday though, along with my Travelers Rest Chronicle. ;)

Great summary of the items in this week's issue. I look forward to seeing them each Thursday! Thanks! :)

Yes, Great idea! :thumbsup:

There is also a review of the new restaurant in the west end. I think its called Rick Erwins? I don't have the paper in front of me.

I walked by that place one night as they were working on the last details of the cabinetry. Looks really nice. Going to have to check it out soon.

• 2 weeks later...

In the issue out tonight...

* article on Fed Courthouse selection

* article on the County-owned Rail line and the lawsuit around that. Several groups are working to convert this line (Gville to T.R.) to a public trail.

* article on ICAR

* article on Sburg waiting on money from developer Arthur Cleveland

* article on Taylors incorporation

* City council gave approval to sell land on S. Main to the developers planning to build next to the new ballpark. They plan 36 condos, 42,500 sq. ft. office space and 12,500 retail/restaurant space.

* 40 Single family units will be going up on the West side in the Green Avenue area.

* In the TBA column:

*GE Greenvilleand USC Columbia are in talks about fuel cell research

*2-3 economic development deals are expected to announce in the next 30 days. One or more may be ICAr related.

*Palmetto Expo Center is expected to post some "good numbers" as it's fiscal year closes.

* A group of national developers came to town last week in a hush-hush meeting with area business leaders. Their goal was to assess the areas strengths and weaknesses. Expect to hear some findings trikle out in the coming months.

TBA Column:

* "Some estimate the new Federal courthouse will be as many as 12 stories".

* The June 30 deadline for proposals for the new city hall came and went without any takers. The city has extended the deadline.

* Bridge railings on Academy and CHurch Streets have been painted green to enhance the eye-appeal. New street lamps will be installed along Church St.

* Monday's city council meeting will finalize the baseball stadium condo/retail deal.

* The city is trying to annex a Roper Mtn. Rd parcel that will get a Walgreen's

Articles:

* Gville Furniture on Main closing after 53 years. As already announced, the building will be converted to condos.

* Article on the Athens couple that is trying to convert the Chiquola Hotel in Dtown Anderson to a hotel.

* Article on Artist Colony opening up in West Greenville, namely West Pendleton St.

* Ad for Terrace at Riverplace: prices from 376k to 736k. "Reservation Auction" has a deadline of August 8. "Prices may rise during auction." 35 units in the project (website said 27) Website: www.terraceatriverplace.com

* Bridge railings on Academy and CHurch Streets have been painted green to enhance the eye-appeal.  New street lamps will be installed along Church St.

"Greenville Green" railings on Greenville bridges. Another one of those details that adds to quality of life and image. Greenville has become a master of subtle details that add up to a wonderful overall package. :thumbsup: Most cities miss these details.

"Greenville Green" railings on Greenville bridges.  Another one of those details that adds to quality of life and image.  Greenville has become a master of subtle details that add up to a wonderful overall package.  :thumbsup:  Most cities miss these details.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish they could paint the new 183 bridge towards Berea "Greenville Green". Unfortunately, that is two blocks away from the city limits.

Is there anything to expect from the Anderson and Spartanburg Journals this week?

"Greenville Green" railings on Greenville bridges.  Another one of those details that adds to quality of life and image.  Greenville has become a master of subtle details that add up to a wonderful overall package.  :thumbsup:  Most cities miss these details.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^^How true.

The things that Gville does that really set it apart from other cities trying to redevelop there dowtowns include:

* The pedestrian experience is paramount in the design of everything. Storefronts are continguous, not broken up. Sidewalks are shaded and surrounded by colorful flowers. Auto traffic is calm and not domineering. Parks and park-like areas are never more than a few steps away.

* The small details are not overlooked. Things like the uniform signage, the "mice on main", garages that are architecturally appealling but also tucked away from the main thoroughfares.

* Residential is the most critical ingredient, and everything else revolves around that.

* Snergy is created by strategically placing "people magnets" or "anchors" in close proximity to each other, but also in a linear pattern to spread out the impact.

* Whenever something new (public or private) is coming to town or being built, the FIRST and FOREMOST location that the city advocates is downtown.

* Festivals, art shows, farmer's markets, etc. are always located downtown. Give as many people as possible, as many reasons as possible, to come downtown.

* Create a plan and don't deviate from it. Max Heller was the architect, Knox White completed what Heller started. He didn't start over or alter course. The plan was sound and based on sound principles.

I beleive this was the first issue to be printed with their new printer. In my opinion the color photos looked amazing, not sure if I have veer seen a newspaper whos print quality looked as good as todays journal. Anybody else notice that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't really mean to be critical here, but...they were beginning to paint these railings a few weeks ago before I left for Florida. Hopefully the color I saw then was just a pastel teal primer. If that was the final color, then I'd have to say I'd prefer a darker shade :unsure:

I don't really mean to be critical here, but...they were beginning to paint these railings a few weeks ago before I left for Florida.  Hopefully the color I saw then was just a pastel teal primer.  If that was the final color, then I'd have to say I'd prefer a darker shade  :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They did. They painted about three coats. They primed it first, which kind of scared me, until I notice them painting another coat, which is darker and very nice! :thumbsup:

^^How true.

The things that Gville does that really set it apart from other cities trying to redevelop there dowtowns include:

The pedestrian experience is paramount in the design of everything.  Storefronts are continguous, not broken up.  Sidewalks are shaded and surrounded by colorful flowers.  Auto traffic is calm and not domineering. Parks and park-like areas are never more than a few steps away.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One of the reasons for Greenville's tremendously bountiful pedestrian success is largely due to the fact that the main areas for shopping, dining, sight-seeing, etc., are not required to compete with areas where high-volume, high-speed traffic disrupts the ambience and climate of someone's downtown experience. Having narrow roads for slower auto movement, and encouraging visitors to park and walk from shop to restaurant to park to gallery, creates one of the most uniquely pleasant urban experiences you'll find anywhere in the World. That is why Greenville is recognized far and wide as having one of the most attractive downtowns anywhere. :)

^^How true.

*  The pedestrian experience is paramount in the design of everything.  Storefronts are continguous, not broken up.  Sidewalks are shaded and surrounded by colorful flowers.  Auto traffic is calm and not domineering. Parks and park-like areas are never more than a few steps away. 

*  The small details are not overlooked.  Things like the uniform signage, the "mice on main", garages that are architecturally appealling but also tucked away from the main thoroughfares. 

*  Residential is the most critical ingredient, and everything else revolves around that. 

*  Snergy is created by strategically placing "people magnets"  or "anchors" in close proximity to each other, but also in a linear pattern to spread out the impact.

*  Whenever something new (public or private) is coming to town or being built, the FIRST and FOREMOST location that the city advocates is downtown.

*  Festivals, art shows, farmer's markets, etc. are always located downtown.  Give as many people as possible, as many reasons as possible, to come downtown.

* Create a plan and don't deviate from it.  Max Heller was the architect, Knox White completed what Heller started.  He didn't start over or alter course.  The plan was sound and based on sound principles.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All excellent points Vicupstate!!!

They did. They painted about three coats. They primed it first, which kind of scared me, until I notice them painting another coat, which is darker and very nice! :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*Whew* <wipes brow>.

Thanks! I needed that! :lol: Can't wait to see it when I get home tomorrow or on Sunday.

In this week's issue:

TBA column:

**A major development MAY be coming to the SW corner of Church & University. Both the Burger King and the gas station have both recently closed. [ I posted a few weeks back about pending development on the SE corner.]

** Greenville Area Dev. Corp reports 18 strong inquiries in June, which may be a record.

** Residents will move into Riverplace around November. Marsh employees are already working in the first building.

** Work on widening Woodruff Road may start soon.

** Kroc Center will soon announce a campaign chairman and release some architectural plans.

Other items:

-- Cover story on Christian Exodus

-- Editorial and article on Taylors incorporation

-- Article on failed merger between Peace Center and Warehouse Theater

-- Article on why large projects like Riverplace and Kroc Center take so long from concept to construction. Pleasantburg revitialization is one that is listed as needing a long development period.

-- The Baseball condos land sold for $100k,$8mm will be invested.

-- City is rezoning a 1.25 acre parcel on Pete Hollis Blvd. from SF Residential to Gen. Commercial. 4.5 acres at Pendleton & Mallard will be rezoned to PUD-Commercial (from MF -Residential).

--

Thanks for posting this week's Journal contents, vicupstate.

I wonder what major development is potentially going on at Church and University? I wish they would do the following:

1. Build a high-rise of at least 15 stories downtown (this would be high-rise #10 on our list!), with at least 20 floors and unique architecture.

2. Move Greenville county offices from county square and into the new high-rise; use any extra space in the high-rise for other office space and/or residential condos

3. Level County Square and build some apartments or condos in its place (someone else here originally suggested this idea); the views of the downtown skyline would be amazing!

4. Across University, tear down the Burger King and the gas station and build something of value with nice architecture.

I don't know if any of this makes sense, but it's late and I felt like posting a huge project that I would like to see occur. :)

Thanks for posting this week's Journal contents, vicupstate.

I wonder what major development is potentially going on at Church and University?  I wish they would do the following:

1. Build a high-rise of at least 15 stories downtown (this would be high-rise #10 on our list!), with at least 20 floors and unique architecture.

2. Move Greenville county offices from county square and into the new high-rise; use any extra space in the high-rise for other office space and/or residential condos

3. Level County Square and build some apartments or condos in its place (someone else here originally suggested this idea); the views of the downtown skyline would be amazing!

4. Across University, tear down the Burger King and the gas station and build something of value with nice architecture.

I don't know if any of this makes sense, but it's late and I felt like posting a huge project that I would like to see occur. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If they leveled County Square, I think they should tear up all of that blacktop and expand Falls Park around the Governor's School. Think grass and trees on all that acreage. Or even move the Zoo there and enlarge it substantially. That, combined with Cleveland Park, Falls Park, and Cleveland West, would compare favorably with Forest Park in St. Louis, which is by far the best city park I've ever seen.

Archived