Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this as well and from what I recall, the front entrance to the current BoA tower was going to be facing Washington Street. These 4 buildings were going to be small, mixed-use buildings and would be located where the empty lot and the garage are currently located at the corner of Washington Street and Richardson Street. The buildings were to be something like 4-6 stories each, just as Brad has described. The area between them all was going to be open and plaza-like all the way to the new Washington-Street-Facing front entrance of the BoA tower, in such a manner as to accentuate the building's presence on Washington Street.

As for the architecture, I don't believe the detail was that fine in the report I saw.

I saw this as well and from what I recall, the front entrance to the current BoA tower was going to be facing Washington Street.  These 4 buildings were going to be small, mixed-use buildings and would be located where the empty lot and the garage are currently located at the corner of Washington Street and Richardson Street.  The buildings were to be something like 4-6 stories each, just as Brad has described.  The area between them all was going to be open and plaza-like all the way to the new Washington-Street-Facing front entrance of the BoA tower, in such a manner as to accentuate the building's presence on Washington Street.

As for the architecture, I don't believe the detail was that fine in the report I saw.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think with the new plaza at BofA and the exsiting and all the new development, it will be kind of like having a Life Style Center in Dwontown.

Do y'all think that with the developement of the B of A lot would or could bring developement down that end of Washington St. Being that they had some of those

green zoning signs in the widows of the Greenville Summit Building sometime ago.

And you know they are not going to tear that building down and turn it into a parking lot. :huh:

Do y'all think that with the developement of the B of A lot would or could bring developement down that end of Washington St. Being that they had some of those

green zoning signs in the widows of the Greenville Summit Building sometime ago.

And you know they are not going to tear that building down and turn it into a parking lot. :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Greenville Summit/former Hotel Greenville building is in a pretty good location. It's been a dump for as long as I can remember (as far back as the early 1970s). No redevelopment prospects for it? Has anyone been inside- is it a formerly elegant building that just went bad?

In the issue out tonight...

TBA:

** Expect a major economic development announcement from the city and county some time this week (meaning next week?). Both sides are keeping the details tight fisted, but it includes new knowledge-based jobs for Greenville.

** The Salvation Army will make it's formal funding request to city council in the coming weeks to help build the Kroc Center.

** The State Budget & Control board will vote on the $7mm Palmetto Expo Center bonds on Sept 27.

** The City will have input on the Fed Courthouse to much sure it fits the surroundings.

** Cliff Rosen has met with two prospective tenants for his Millenium Park project recently.

Articles...

Cover story: The Lake Conestee Nature Park could open as early as next year. The park which is next to Municipal Stadium on Mauldin Rd, is at the geographic center of Greenville County. With nearby easements included, it would total 600-800 acres, approximately the size of the Furman campus. Bids will go out soon for trail construction. The Conestee Mill could be targeted fro redevelopment as part of the master plan.

Wingo and Wildwood streets will be abandoned to facilitate the Kroc Center.

The Riverplace Artist Colony will be called "Murphy's Row" and would consist of 4,000 sq. ft in the city's garage there.

In the issue out tonight...

TBA:

** Expect a major economic development announcement from the city and county some time this week (meaning next week?).  Both sides are keeping the details tight fisted, but it includes new knowledge-based jobs for Greenville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any idea on what the announcement may be? The bio medical / drug company thats been talked about for awhile maybe?

In today's issue...

TBA..

** The abandoned seafood store on Main St. in the West End is being remodeled, along with the former home of Upsate Visual Arts, as a private residence.

** Ground should be broken on the Pinnacle on Main after Labor Day.

** There are rumblings that the proposed tower at Main and Broad is in trouble. Several sources say the developers are having trouble getting the property.

** The Gville Bombers stadium is still on schedule despite recent weather delays.

** The 30 job ICAR technology project is a "bonus" from what was already expected for the project.

Editorial on Gov. Sanford entitled "Hey Governor, live in the real world"

Article on the hot housing market.

In today's issue...

TBA..

** There are rumblings that the proposed tower at Main and Broad is in trouble.  Several sources say the developers are having trouble getting the property.

** The 30 job ICAR technology project is a "bonus" from what was already expected for the project.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh, That "bonus" is awesome! And I'm quite relieved that it's not the "BIG ONE" we were waiting on. :thumbsup:

As for that proposed tower at Main and Broad, I hope they can get the land. Or maybe, haha, they can go elsewhere downtown and aquire land and build it... :whistling: I know, wishful thinking...

** There are rumblings that the proposed tower at Main and Broad is in trouble.  Several sources say the developers are having trouble getting the property.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a bummer of monumental proportions. :( That is such a prime location. I hope something gives and they manage to acquire all the property they need on that corner.

Since the rumor is that the building may be in a redesign phase, and since it is only a proposed development with no actual dates set for construction, we'll just have to wait for the developer to receive the minimum number of signed leases before any additional timelines are known. We can be confident that it will carry on in the end (at least the developer isn't in a land-acquisation battle), but as with all developments on this scale, times are very hard to project. :)

There should be no real problem in acquiring that land.  What is its current use - a parking lot and a few abandoned buildings?  Come on people, get it together.  We're talking about a major piece of downtown's future here. :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm surprised that the project was announced without having all the parcels either purchased or under option. I guess someone is holding out for too much money. If the developers can't obtain all the parcels, I wonder if they would pursue the city owned property next to city hall (the plaza with the parking underneath). After all the RFP is still open.

In the issue out last night...

Just going to summarize the TBA, because that's always my favorite part ;)

TBA:

** City Council will hold a neighborhood meetingon September 8th to vote on the proposed McBee Street development (Publix, etc.)

** An announcement is expected to come from a downtown bank soon which should open up 400+ free eveninig and weekend parking spaces

** The 45,000 Square Foot former Best Buy on Laurens Road has a new tenant: The Book Market (a discount book seller).

** The City is expected to send out a request for bids within the next 30 days for landscaping improvements in the West End and the ballpark area.

** City Officials are still working out how to develop a marketing plan for the Municipal Stadium property

** The Kimbrell's building lawsuit (over its architectural significance) is still in mediation; however, some city leaders feel that this should be wrapping up soon.

** The Greenville Transit Authority is considering adding a full-time route to the Shops at Greenridge

** Can anyone say "Hydrogen Economy?" Some business leaders want South Carolina equated to Hyrdrogen Fuel the way Texas is equated to P-E-T-R-O-L (that's a funny way to spell "water").

BTW, there was an article about Greenville Tech Purchasing the John Deere/ Homelite facility on Buncombe Rd. in Greer. I have been wanting to tell you guys about that but wasn't sure if I was able to. Probubly better that I kept my mouth shut becuase I had heard they were going to do a manufactoring school there. And that wasn't even mentioned in the article. I also like the idea that GT might convert it to a shopping center.

NOt sure if that means tear it down like umbro ot Metlife, or if it would actually be converted like a Saco Lowell.

Archived