Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

I, for one, am very excited about the additional free parking spaces the bank (presumably Suntrust) will make available on nights and weekends. I have many friends who've been talking badly about the lack of free parking availablity throughout the entire week. I have agreed, but tried to ease the frustration when able. Major thanks to the "unknown" bank! :thumbsup:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Journal appeared later this time. Not a lot of "new" info but the TBA column said that Sun Trust would announce some expansion plans soon. Hopefully, this will be something DT and not just more branches.

Also the Salvation Army purchased 17 acres for the Kroc Center at Hudson, Academy, and Westfield.

Two ice cream shops are looking for space DT.

Also the Salvation Army purchased 17 acres for the Kroc Center at Hudson, Academy, and Westfield.

Two ice cream shops are looking for space DT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And if you look at the first transaction in the list of real estate transactions you will see that they paid $4,000,000 for it.

There is also another good article on the rail line for the trail. I hope this thing gets taken care of with out the city loosing ownership to it.

The Journal appeared later this time.  Not a lot of "new" info but the TBA column said that Sun Trust would announce some expansion plans soon.  Hopefully, this will be something DT and not just more branches.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder if this would be adding onto their current building, or building something totally new? Hmm...

I agree, it better be downtown though!

This is really interesting... I'm of course hoping for something downtown, but it baffles me. When they were CCB they had the hardest time filling up that building, which is huge... and I don't mean just with their own employees, but with tenants, too. It certainly is exciting though.

I wonder if this would be adding onto their current building, or building something totally new?  Hmm...

I agree, it better be downtown though!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The building in DT has had Design and Preservation signs posted in the windows for awhile, so my guess is we'll see a renovation/addition to that location. How exciting! :D

The building in DT has had Design and Preservation signs posted in the windows for awhile, so my guess is we'll see a renovation/addition to that location.  How exciting! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish that they would develope their HUGE parking lot. The spring St. garage is right there, so they potentially could and get away with it. I hate seeing some a big area covered with asphalt...

Not much in this issue, no articles of note.

TBA:

** Nearly 700 parking spaces that once were private will open up in the coming weeks. (DT that is)

** Verdae development is gaining steam, bids on hte first phases, are due in 45 days

** Friday was the deadline (last friday or tomorrow?) for Pavilion Group and the city to reach an agreement on the Woolworth building.

I noticed that the building at 200 Main (Atlanat Bread -Ivey Square bldg I believe) sold for 4.4 mm. Also a unit at Poinsett Corners sold for $560,000. I believe that is a record for that project.

Not much in this week's issue

TBA:

** Pavilion Group now controls a larger section of the former Woolworth building in DT Gville. However, the company still doesn't have the entire property, so don't expect any changes soon.

** Millenium campus officials are talking deals with several new prospects. The campus is focusing on corporate HQ-type businesses that take up one building

** 116,000 people come DT daily, which is a big number that the city is pushing to retailers. The city has created a retail guide to help draw businesses Downtown.

** hhgregg is opneing a store in Anderson

** Rumors sirling that Gvillle Mall will have a new owner, maybe within 30 days. However that rumor has come and gone for years.

Articles on:

Gville County tree ordinance resolution resurfaces. Critics say document ot prevent clear cutting is weak.

Carlton Owens, (a leader in the Rails-to-Trails project) has started construction on an environmentally friendly house.

Article on BMW's response to the lawsuit.

Full page ad for Camperdown, but no new info/renderings

OK,

Here is a funny story slightly related to this topic.

My dog lives for Thursday night. Thursday is of course the day that he finds a newspaper on the lawn. He has learned that when he finds a newspaper on the lawn, and if he brings it to me, he gets a treat. Last night of course was no exception.

This morning rolls around, and when I went out to get the Greenville News, (that one is usually in the paper box), it is not there. The dog and I go back out around 5:20 and its still not there. I left the dog outside so that he could do his thing. A few minutes later, the dog starts scratching at the door with real purpose. He is standing there with the paper. I thought to myself, "oh good, the delivery guy saw the dog and threw it on the lawn". When I took the paper from the dog, I was surprised to see that it was the Greenville Journal.

The dog was so excited about finding the paper on the neighbor's lawn, he thought he should get a treat for that too. I rolled the paper back up, put a rubber band around it and threw it back in his driveway this morning. I'll explain the tooth marks next time I see him.

The funny thing is, he has an invisible fence, but he is so good about it, that I haven't put his collar on him for 6 months. Obviously he needs a little reminder. :whistling:

TBA:

** The so-called Cleveland Park West (aka Mayberry Park) may stall for years unless the city gets some much needed cash. However there are some discussions of using a penny sales tax to pay for it. Voter approval would be required.

** C. Dan Joyner Real Estate willmove it's West End office to the Vardry Executive Center between the new ballpark and Gville High.

** The Riverplace parking deck will open to the public by year end. No decision on the number of public spaces.

** Rumors abound that a popular long-time Main St. bar may soon have new ownership and a new look

** The renovations to the BOA tower building were approved this week. But the question remains as the whether BOA will stay as signature tenant or go elsewhere

** The city has developed a Plan B for the West Washington/ Hudson corner in case the school district doesn't follow thru with plans for an elementary school

** The city is working with the owners of the Camperdown condos to swap land for the proposed hiking path (rails-to-trails)

Articles:

** City officials met with local realtors regarding plans for the West End-West Greenville area

** Editorial on SC now having the lowest cigarette tax in the US (NC is hiking theirs).

** Article on House District 24 race between Bannister and Shain

** USC Upstate campus. Enrollment is expected to double to 1000 by 2008

City Council:

++ West End will get 28k from the sale of land at S. Main and Markley

++ Magnolia Place Apts on Rutherford Rd annexed

++ City will contribute 500k to renovation of Piazza Bergamo. Plans call for demolition of Bridge building, addition of new structures and renovation of existing buildings

++ Publix project on McBee received final reading on its rezoning.

Totally agree about Tassey's! Since these type of metal facades tended to be added over the original in the sixties, anybody have any idea of what this building looks like underneath? Any old photos? Or was the building actually constructed with this awful siding?

TBA:

** Expect to see a very unique marketing tool coming out from the CVB in the next few weeks. The "tool" can be used by restaurants and businesses.

** Expect ground breaking next month on Pendleton West Condos/offices

** City leaders are trying to bring Borders books to downtown

** West End is becoming a Women's fashion district. A shoe store is opening on Augusta next to and also across from two women's clothiers.

** Some business leaders are questioning why there is only one access point to the new Shops at Greenridge

** Expect to hear some major changes to the area surrounding the new ballpark in the coming months. There is a lot of interest in the surrounding property including the Gville Transit Authority site.

Article on Falls Park and tourism. Article on proposal to broadcast County Council meetings on Charter.

Channel 4 had a spot on it's 11pm broadcast about a community gathering in opposition to the proposed 13 sq. mile annexation by Greer.

TBA:

** Expect to see a very unique marketing tool coming out from the CVB in the next few weeks. The "tool" can be used by restaurants and businesses.

** Expect ground breaking next month on Pendleton West Condos/offices

** City leaders are trying to bring Borders books to downtown

** West End is becoming a Women's fashion district. A shoe store is opening on Augusta next to and also across from two women's clothiers.

** Some business leaders are questioning why there is only one access point to the new Shops at Greenridge

** Expect to hear some major changes to the area surrounding the new ballpark in the coming months. There is a lot of interest in the surrounding property including the Gville Transit Authority site.

Article on Falls Park and tourism. Article on proposal to broadcast County Council meetings on Charter.

Channel 4 had a spot on it's 11pm broadcast about a community gathering in opposition to the proposed 13 sq. mile annexation by Greer.

Ya about the Greer thing. Nan Lundeen and the Greenville News have been irrisponsile in their reporting on the subject, they keep showing pictures of the whole area shaded in as annexed, so though all annexations are going to be volutary it ahs alot of people thinking they are going to be part of Greer weather they like it or not. And if you saw this mronigns Greenville news that like Greers annexations in Taylors lead to a failed incorparation, people in this area are now appearently thinking of incorporating Riedville.

BTW, Pendleton West may not have had an official ground breaking yet, but work has begun. I was by about two weeks ago and work on the Ally way for The Park @ Pendleton West (Signle family portion) was underway.

^^ I'm assuming that the "groundbreaking" is for the condo building. Just a guess though.

As for Greer, Reidville is already incorporated. However, it will no doubt receive annexation petitions because of this.

In fact, I think there could be a rush to annex properties by both Greer and Reidville. This has happened many times in the Trident (Charleston) area between adjacent cities. Most likely, the larger property owners will sign up for annexation to Greer to maintain the ability to subdivide/develop their tract. The single family homes that are already in the area will likely annex to Reidville. This might actually have the unintended (from the Sugar Tit residents perspective) consequence of an even larger annexation to Greer. Even if the CPW was not planning to extend sewer lines in the near term, as a property owner (of a large tract) I would want to annex to Greer immediately just to protect my investment and options down the road.

What are your thoughts Brad, since you are in the business and live in the area?

Archived