Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

TBA:

Look for a major manufacturing conference moving from Charlotte to Greenville this year

Could be wrong, but I believe it will be aviation related and it will happen in early 2014. With several Greenville companies having a major part in both the current aviation industry as well as the convention in Charlotte (GE turbines, Cytec Carbon Fibers, several circuits companies, etc), aviation is my guess. Throw in the fact that Boeing "assembly" is in Charleston. Before some say why would it come to Greenville and not Charleston......Greenville (manufacturing)......Charleston (assembly). Major difference. It is a manufacturing conference. Again, no facts here, just an educated guess.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be wrong, but I believe it will be aviation related and it will happen in early 2014. With several Greenville companies having a major part in both the current aviation industry as well as the convention in Charlotte (GE turbines, Cytec Carbon Fibers, several circuits companies, etc), aviation is my guess. Throw in the fact that Boeing "assembly" is in Charleston. Before some say why would it come to Greenville and not Charleston......Greenville (manufacturing)......Charleston (assembly). Major difference. It is a manufacturing conference. Again, no facts here, just an educated guess.

Thumbs up to you for providing helpful info!

• 2 months later...

The Journal has an article on the Greenville Water System's plans to expand their Washington at Broad Street operations.

* The city and GWS will swap land, so that the GWS land on Mayberry Street will go to the city and the city's Parks department land on Washington (between GWS and Miracle Hill) will go tot GWS

* The existing GWS parking deck will be demolished and replaced with a larger three story one

* An operations center, maintenance facility will be constructed on the 10 acre property

* A community Education area will showcase different types of sod, irrigation systems and ways to collect rainwater

* An awning attached to the operations center will collect rainwater for a fountain near the education area

* A wall landscaped with trees will be built along Washington Street to screen the facility from the street

* Construction to start with the parking deck first will begin in early 2014 and take 19 months to complete.

Orange stakes are now up around the site so it looks like this is moving forward. 

• 1 month later...

According to UBJ, Luthi's will close on XMAS eve and the building has been sold to a 'financial institution'.   Anyone heard anything? 

I read that somewhere probably three or four weeks ago. The electronic billboard overlooking the Blue Jay gas station at the corner of Woodruff and Garlington has had an advertisement for a "Retirement Sale" in the message rotation for a couple of weeks at least. No word on which "financial institution" it will be, but I am speculating that it will be Certus Bank.

• 4 weeks later...

http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/tba-2014/

Some of these may be pie-in-the-sky but does anyone have info. on any of these actually occurring?

Particularly the County Square and Greenville News building items?

I noticed the County Square item lists CITY and County offices.  Perhaps City Hall would move?  

http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/tba-2014/

Some of these may be pie-in-the-sky but does anyone have info. on any of these actually occurring?

Particularly the County Square and Greenville News building items?

I noticed the County Square item lists CITY and County offices.  Perhaps City Hall would move?  

A convention center on the Greenville News site would be incredible!

There's no way the city would take City Hall off of Main Street and out of the heart of it's beloved downtown. The city could possibly have some offices that may need more space, but I can't imagine an entire relocation. This one blurb makes me question the validity of this list. But, who knows!?

I think having City Hall there would be a good idea.  It's close enough to DT and it would have the best views of the city anywhere.  That view would be a great way to show off the city to business prospects, etc.  City Hall could be converted to mixed use or maybe even something along the lines of the Next Center. 

But it would seem the idea would have perculated out before now, if it were a true possibility.

I know the city is currently short on office space.  They are temporarily using part of our neighborhood's community center for office space, and if the public works site gets moved to make way for the new park, there are offices on site there that will have to be relocated.

I think having City Hall there would be a good idea.  It's close enough to DT and it would have the best views of the city anywhere.  That view would be a great way to show off the city to business prospects, etc.  City Hall could be converted to mixed use or maybe even something along the lines of the Next Center. 

But it would seem the idea would have perculated out before now, if it were a true possibility.

If the city does replace City Hall, the current building will probably be removed. I don't see how the building could be converted to housing.

If the city does replace City Hall, the current building will probably be removed. I don't see how the building could be converted to housing.

It would necessarily have to be housing, but I don't see why it could be that.  The old SCE&G building  (Palmetto Center) in Columbia is being converted from office space into a student housing project.  

City Hall is full of city offices, so I don't see the wording as an exclusion.   There has been an long desire to have council chambers at ground level too.  Also, if the Greenville News site was a convention center, I could easily see a hotel conversion of city hall as a possibility.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

https://greenvillejournal.com/2018/02/15/bob-dotson-logged-4-million-miles-across-country-telling-stories-ordinary-americans-extraordinary-things-now-40-years-nbc-journey-continues-greenville/

Interesting read even though I’ve never heard of the guy. 

As an aside, and maybe I’m too critical, but I have yet to read any locally written article that I found fluid, well thought out, and grammatically correct throughout. C’mon editors!

Archived