Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

If they leveled County Square, I think they should tear up all of that blacktop and expand Falls Park around the Governor's School. Think grass and trees on all that acreage. Or even move the Zoo there and enlarge it substantially. That, combined with Cleveland Park, Falls Park, and Cleveland West, would compare favorably with Forest Park in St. Louis, which is by far the best city park I've ever seen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

St. Louis has the best zoo I've ever seen. B)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they leveled County Square, I think they should tear up all of that blacktop and expand Falls Park around the Governor's School. Think grass and trees on all that acreage. Or even move the Zoo there and enlarge it substantially. That, combined with Cleveland Park, Falls Park, and Cleveland West, would compare favorably with Forest Park in St. Louis, which is by far the best city park I've ever seen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That property is one of the highest parts of Greenville, with its views, it is just way to prime for Parks. Best use would be something like Riverplace or McBee station, but larger and Grander, of course there could be plazas and park space mixed in with that, I think that would be great.

The Goveners School will likely always be sepereated to some degree from the Park, it is Safety reasons, they just don't want people wandering around were a bunch of Kids live. You would be asking for a incident to take place.

MY guess either that corner or the one with the old industrial building will end up being a Walgreens or a CVS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had put my chips on the Walgreens square for this location before betting was closed.

Let's see what happens when the wheel stops spinning...

That property is one of the highest parts of Greenville, with its views, it is just way to prime for Parks.  Best use would be something like Riverplace or McBee station, but larger and Grander, of course there could be plazas and park space mixed in with that, I think that would be great.

The Goveners School will likely always be sepereated to some degree from the Park, it is Safety reasons, they just don't want people wandering around were a bunch of Kids live.  You would be asking for a incident to take place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No matter what use you put it to, there'll be a bunch of people wandering around. There's enough acreage there to build a buffer of some sort for the kids' sake, or even give the Governor's School a grand entrance and and larger and well-defined "campus." But the school already runs up against Falls Park, so I don't see how my suggestion would change anything.

And it's not that it's high--it's a good bit lower than Gville HS, for instance--but that it is uniquely situated, hanging over the Reedy, and free of forest. That is why I think it would be a great park space. Not every prominent piece of property needs to be "developed." As it stands, our major city parks are all in hollows and ravines. A hilltop park makes good sense to me.

If any of it were developed, I'd develop the Church Street side and the opposite side, but leave most of the University Ridge side and substantial acreage in the middle open.

I guess a new freestanding drugstore in that area is certain. Whoever opens will do great business. As Walgreen's continues on a building boom around the area, CVS is replacing their shopping center locations with freestanding locations. I know it is happening to their Pelham Road store, and another replacement store is in the works at Hudson and Brushy Creek Roads.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

St. Louis has the best zoo I've ever seen. B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great ideas for County Square. If the relations between the city and county weren't so bad, this idea would probably have gotten legs by now.

Forest Park and it's zoo are incredible. While the arch is a must-see for anyone visiting St. Louis, this park is one of the largest and nicest I have ever seen. The zoo is not only large and well-done, it is FREE!

I guess a new freestanding drugstore in that area is certain.  Whoever opens will do great business.  As Walgreen's continues on a building boom around the area, CVS is replacing their shopping center locations with freestanding locations.  I know it is happening to their Pelham Road store, and another replacement store is in the works at Hudson and Brushy Creek Roads.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

seriously? at Hudson and Brushy Creek? or Hudson and Old Spartanburg.

Their was a house moved on that area of Hudson recenlty and the hardees on Old Spartnaburg was torn down recently as well. I have a friend that lives on that corner, I'll have to dig in to this.

They did. They painted about three coats. They primed it first, which kind of scared me, until I notice them painting another coat, which is darker and very nice! :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's still not quite as dark of a green as I had hoped to see, but it's better than it had been, so I'll take it! :thumbsup:

seriously?  at Hudson and Brushy Creek?  or Hudson and Old Spartanburg.

Their was a house moved on that area of Hudson recenlty and the hardees on Old Spartnaburg was torn down recently as well.  I have a friend that lives on that corner, I'll have to dig in to this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is Hudson and Brushy Creek. The Brushy Creek/Old Spartanburg Roads intersection is very confusing namewise. The Taylors stretch of Old Spartanburg Road is the actual continuation of East North Street ending at the 5000 block; the Greer stretch is the continuation of Hammett Bridge Road ending at the 2100 block. Brushy Creek Road makes a directional change at the 1400 block.

One thing I found rather interesting when I was in Florida recently is that all of the free-standing Eckard's (at least in Gainesville, Ocala, and Orlando) have been bought by CVS down there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it was at least a year or two ago that JC Penney sold Eckerd in two different parts. One was to CVS and the other was to some Canadian chain.

Greenville, I would not see much change happening with Eckerd here for awhile. For a very interesting fact, only two Eckerd's in Greenville County are in a shopping center, Augusta Street and Hudson Corners. Both stores have replaced their enterances/exits with automatic sliding doors. I do not know if the Augusta Street store has been remodeled interiorly, but the Hudson Corners store looks very outdated.

Skyliner, thanks for that compliment.

There was a third next to the old Ingles in Travelers Rest...until the second attempt at a new Eckards opened on HWY 25.

Does anyone know the story behind what happened with the first attempt on HWY 276 in T.R. ? Skyliner, I believe, said that there was a beautiful old victorian home there at one time. Then it was torn down and the Eckards was built, but never occupied. I'm curious as to what happened there. I think that site would make a nice home for the T.R. Police Department, should they ever decide to relocate from City Hall due to space constraints.

There was a third next to the old Ingles in Travelers Rest...until the second attempt at a new Eckards opened on HWY 25.

Does anyone know the story behind what happened with the first attempt  on HWY 276 in T.R. ?  Skyliner, I believe, said that there was a beautiful old victorian home there at one time.  Then it was torn down and the Eckards was built, but never occupied.  I'm curious as to what happened there.  I think that site would make a nice home for the T.R. Police Department, should they ever decide to relocate from City Hall due to space constraints.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That first attempt was suppose to be a Rite Aid. It is indeed a good location. JC Penney bought out Rite Aid, branded it as Eckerd, and sold off both Rite Aid and Eckerd chains. Whoever bought the old Eckerd in Traveler's Rest made the mistake not to move into the new store, and sales suffered tremendously, mostly because of CVS's new freestanding store at US 25 @ Little Texas Rd.

That first attempt was suppose to be a Rite Aid.  It is indeed a good location.  JC Penney bought out Rite Aid, branded it as Eckerd, and sold off both Rite Aid and Eckerd chains.  Whoever bought the old Eckerd in Traveler's Rest made the mistake not to move into the new store, and sales suffered tremendously, mostly because of CVS's new freestanding store at US 25 @ Little Texas Rd.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, BoDragon! That fills me in a little more on the history there and it makes sense. Eckard has since built a new store on the corner of US 25 and State Park Road (across from Burger King). It's a shame that the site on US 276 remains vacant though.

Thanks, BoDragon!  That fills me in a little more on the history there and it makes sense.  Eckard has since built a new store on the corner of US 25 and State Park Road (across from Burger King).  It's a shame that the site on US 276 remains vacant though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is also a shame to remain in an outdated location to pay high rent and notice sharply declining sales. I'm glad this has been resolved with a new store finally.

The question to ask is what to do with that 276 site. I do not know if the building is intact. If it is move in ready for another drugstore, I could see Walgreen's making a move.

In the new issue out tonight:

TBA:

** Contracts have been signed to fill the former Monty Ward and Dillard's spaces in Greenville Mall. There is talk of two restaurants may fill space fronting on Woodruff Rd.

** Enterprize Rental Car has bought property across from Heritage Green and will work with the city to create a visually pleasing building.

** The Bombers may set up there own bus shuttle and the city wants a second shuttle for downtown.

Article on S'burg's Morgan Square renovation.

Article on development of Lofts in DT Anderson, specifically the owners of The Bead Hut have worked on at least eight units in the upper stories of two buildings.

Article on Terrace at Riverplace Auction on Aug. 9

Cover story on deferred amintenance by the Gville Co. Rec district.

Editorial on Christian Exodus

Any idea who is taking those spots at the Greenville Mall?  Would be great if one was Bass Pro Shops.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I certainly hope so. If they land at Greenville Mall, I will definitely be among their first applicants. You cannot beat the thrill of having a Bass Pro Shops in town anywhere.

Archived