Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

Anybody have this weeks TBA?

-Mega amounts of retail are coming to Riverplace. A "totally unique" retailer is said to be eyeing the space that was once slated for The Grape restaurant and wine bar...

-The former Goody's store on Laurens Road was demolished this week. However, this is not a sign that something will be built soon. Instead, the hope is a vacant piece of property will be more enticing to developers down the road as nearby Verdae takes shape. More demolitions of abandoned sites may be on the way...

-Speaking of demolitions, there are a couple of projects scheduled for Pleasantburg Drive in the coming weeks. One is the old Holiday Inn, which will be replaced by a new shopping center anchored by Fresh Market and a bank. Other demolitions along the boulevard in hopes of creating more development are on the way...

-A mixed-use development will be coming to the corner of Pleasantburg and Cleveland Street as well. This site was a former gas station, and then was blocked seemingly forever due to road construction, but now nearby residents are rejoicing at a rebirth...

-The new hotel at the intersection of Augusta Road and Interstate 85 is coming along rapidly. The owners of the property are not resting, though. There are several large signs visible from the highway that note more land is for sale...

-Renovations have started on a West End store front that will house Christian-retail company Go Fish. Expect to see an opening in the coming weeks...

-There are a lot of rumors about what new businesses may be coming to Magnolia Park Town Center, but nothing is confirmed at this time. This is the development going on the former Greenville Mall site...

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-The former Goody's store on Laurens Road was demolished this week. However, this is not a sign that something will be built soon. Instead, the hope is a vacant piece of property will be more enticing to developers down the road as nearby Verdae takes shape. More demolitions of abandoned sites may be on the way...

Good! Maybe Laurens Road will escape the wrath of Wal-Mart afterall! :lol:

Good! Maybe Laurens Road will escape the wrath of Wal-Mart afterall! :lol:

Good #1: Vacated buildings without a tenant for several years are either getting something or are being demolished.

Good #2: Wal-Mart, Super Bi-Lo, etc. that plans to locate in the area in a few years, add business to the area, and make it less a ghost town is good. It is better to have something than nothing.

With the former Goody's razed, how much time will you give for the fomer Sam's Club/Furniture Direct adn Best Buy buildings to meet the wrecking ball? Those sites are next in line for attention.

Going from memory here...

SC House Speaker Bobby Harrell was shown around ICAR and the proposed Meadowbrook Park (Cleveland Park West). [Trying to drum up some state dollars . ]

The Woolworth's redevelopment is being held up by title issues on at least two parcels.

The city is trying to get a national retailer to locate on Main St.

On Monday, the Palmetto Expo sponsor name with be announced. It is a bank.

There were others, but those were the bigger ones.

Maybe someone can post the full list.

TBA's for this week:

*The city will make public the new name of the Palmetto Expo Center on Monday. A local bank is expected to be announced as the buy of the naming rights...

*Speaking of names, the city hopes the West End Field will eventually land a naming partner, but Greenville residents have appeared to enjoy the notoriety the team has gotten for having an "unnamed" ball park...

*The old Best Buy store on Laurens Road will soon get new life. Charlotte-based Peak Fitness Clubs is up fitting the building for a new gym. This is just the latest sign of new life along Laurens since the CU-ICAR project was announced three years ago...

*The new federal courthouse site remains up in the air as the government does another study of the property at the intersection of Church and East North streets. City officials, though, are confident the land deal will go through...

*Look to hear more about a deal for upstate technical colleges to share some programs with the Upstate Alliance, the group that is working to lure more jobs to the region...

*State Speaker of the House Bobby Harrell came to Greenville last week to meet with several leaders. Some of the places he was shown were the CU-ICAR campus on the southside of the city and the land for the proposed Meadowbrook Park downtown. The hope is the visit will bring some state money to Greenville...

*People interested in the Upstate's real estate forecast may want to keep their ears perked at the end of January. That is when Grubb & Ellis/The Furman Co. will announce its annual findings...

*The redevelopment of the Woolworth's site in downtown remains hung up due to title issues with at least two parcels...

*The city is working on bringing a major retailer to downtown to fit somewhere on Main Street. It comes as the city is looking at a plan to balance national versus local retail downtown...

-Be sure to take a look at page 39 for some good news about the residential growth in Greenville. The number of new home permits in 2006 was the highest since 2002. Also, be sure to take a look at the front cover story in this week's Journal for a good story on the retail situation going on in downtown Greenville.

*The city is working on bringing a major retailer to downtown to fit somewhere on Main Street. It comes as the city is looking at a plan to balance national versus local retail downtown...

I've seen that suggested somewhere, methinks... :whistling: The balance shouldn't include just any national retailers, though - these should be destination stores that will draw people into downtown so the local retailers can benefit from the same traffic. Also, they should be spread out all up and down Main Street as much as possible. I hope this plan suggests this much. If so, I'll be content.

Oops, I forgot to mention something. From the Greenville Journal on page 43:

"House sales in Greenville increased 20% in 2006, according to numbers released this week by the Greater Greenville Association of Realtors." :thumbsup:

Is that in the city, county, the GGAR area? I question this only because YTD through November sales were up 8.16% according to SCAR. December must have been amazing.

http://screaltors.com/mls/Nov2006_SCMLS%20Stats.pdf

Even at over 8%, this is great news for Greenville, since the other large markets did not fair as well. Charleston being down almost 7% and Columbia up just under 3% through the same period.

I think it's for the county, but the thing in the Greenville Journal didn't say. :unsure:

Here is some other info the little tidbit had:

"People purchased 10,190 units in Greenville, while the average sales prices rose to $178,859, which was a 4.7 percent increase. The median price rose 1.6 percent to $148,625, according to GGAR numbers. The average days on the market also improved in 2006 as the average house waited 84 days until being sold. That number was 95 in 2005."

Just so everyone is clear:

The rule is that there is to be NO posting of articles in full of any kind by anyone. Period. We've had some issues with that recently, and I made a mistake in allowing it to happen and even participating in it myself. The exception that I made for the Journal (all three) is no longer valid. There are no exceptions to this rule, and there is no debate. It keeps UrbanPlanet.org from any potential liablility involving copyright infringement and other legal matters. Thank you for your cooperation.

Who's willing to bet it will be Border's or Barnes and Noble.

I have to agree 100%! With two BNs in the area already it seems like a logical choice for the city to be pursuing a Borders. Think of how many people would head downtown just to lounge around the store for hours on end like they do at BN and also be able to walk around a beautiful/cool/fun area if they wanted to all in one trip.

Just so everyone is clear:

The rule is that there is to be NO posting of articles in full of any kind by anyone. Period. We've had some issues with that recently, and I made a mistake in allowing it to happen and even participating in it myself. The exception that I made for the Journal (all three) is no longer valid. There are no exceptions to this rule, and there is no debate. It keeps UrbanPlanet.org from any potential liablility involving copyright infringement and other legal matters. Thank you for your cooperation.

:tough:

One thing to think about regarding the retail site. The old Shealy Electric site is the site going before the next DPC at their next meeting for approval of a 61,000 SF buidling. My understanding is that htis project was shown at the ICSC Show in Vegas and that a Retail Tenant may have been found at the show.

One thing to think about regarding the retail site. The old Shealy Electric site is the site going before the next DPC at their next meeting for approval of a 61,000 SF buidling. My understanding is that htis project was shown at the ICSC Show in Vegas and that a Retail Tenant may have been found at the show.

NATIONAL RETAILER in the West End!??? :yahoo: That's a great 'off main' location.

Crate & Barrel, anyone? (yes, I'm wishful thinking).

Mentionings on other threads have me itching to know what's in this issue. Anyone care to sharE?

Cover Story: Praying at Ground Zero...focusing on Oconee County being at ground zero in a battle over a 2002 federal court decision against "sectarian prayer." You'll have to read it as I'm not going to go into any more detail than that.

Cover Side-Bar: An article on how the Metropolitan Arts Council had a record year helping local artists.

Search for Greenville's new City Police Chief is down to five finalists.

Business Cover Story: johnboyanoski's article on the waiting game for Magnolia Parking Lot Town Center centered over whether (and which of) the County Government Offices will relocate to the new development or not.

Other Business Stories: Carolina First Center's new name and a story on Greenville County's efforts to regulate design of new big-box retailers, much the same way Travelers Rest has done already.

TBAs:

• As gsupstate reported to us yesterday, GSP is going after Frontier's new start-up carrier.
  • The Greenville County CofC should be releasing something this winter on employee growth data.
  • The City of Greenville is working on several big deals behind closed doors for areas such as the Pete Hollis Gateway (Rutherford Road), Pleasantburg Drive, Downtown, Woodruff Road.
  • Work continues to bring the plans for the new development adjacent to city hall to the public.
  • Some news on ground breaking for South Financial Corp's new HQ Campus should be coming soon.
  • Results of the city's parking study could result in higher rates at garages downtown (as an aside, I personally think they should make all of the garages free on evenings and weekends).
  • Hubbell Lighting should open their new HQ soon.

-Site prep. for the South Financial Campus Headquarters has already started. Don't believe me, drive by there any weekday where the fence is with the Harper Corp. sign next to it and look way in the back at where the backhoes are and where they have been destroying the old pavement and buildings that are on site. They were going full steam earlier today. :)

-Hubbell Lighting Headquarters is to open in mid-late February.

The part, "...(and which of)..." is interesting. I recently heard a rumor that the City may be looking at relocating their offices to the Carolina First Convention Center. Anyone know anything additional about this?

How horrible! All government office leaving downtown? I sure hope not.

Archived