Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

The part, "...(and which of)..." is interesting. I recently heard a rumor that the City may be looking at relocating their offices to the Carolina First Convention Center. Anyone know anything additional about this?

Well, well......that IS interesting......I heard some underground rumblings about a multi story (when I say multi story, I heard 10 plus) development at/on or near Carolina First Center which I had assumed would be a hotel. Hmmmm.......just interesting. This probably needs some investigative work. :D

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, well......that IS interesting......I heard some underground rumblings about a multi story (when I say multi story, I heard 10 plus) development at/on or near Carolina First Center which I had assumed would be a hotel. Hmmmm.......just interesting. This probably needs some investigative work. :D

I believe the long-term plans for the convention center site do include a large hotel, so this building you refer to is probably still the hotel. My guess is that the City may be considering the larger space the convention center would offer for meetings (???). I know they had been strongly pushing for ground-level meeting space in the new City Hall Plaza site development, but perhaps that is not as definite as originally assumed. With the amount of space such chambers would require, that would drastically impact the possibilities for street-level retail, all but eliminating many larger national retailers. Personally though, I would be quite surprised if the City does pull out of Downtown, since it is the reigning "pride and joy" of the Upstate. Just have to wait for more information...

I believe the long-term plans for the convention center site do include a large hotel, so this building you refer to is probably still the hotel. My guess is that the City may be considering the larger space the convention center would offer for meetings (???). I know they had been strongly pushing for ground-level meeting space in the new City Hall Plaza site development, but perhaps that is not as definite as originally assumed. With the amount of space such chambers would require, that would drastically impact the possibilities for street-level retail, all but eliminating many larger national retailers. Personally though, I would be quite surprised if the City does pull out of Downtown, since it is the reigning "pride and joy" of the Upstate. Just have to wait for more information...

One of the city's top five priorities in 2007 is to start construction on the multi-modal transportation center at the Carolina First Center sometime this year. A hotel could also be attached. Look on page 11 of this document to see what i'm talking about regarding the multi-modal transportation center: http://councilagendas.greatergreenville.co...006/Item12b.pdf

I'll do this week's:

Front cover stories-

Article on volunteers counting homeless people and article on Greenbrier Elementary School's traffic problem.

Inside the Journal-

Page 5-John Boyanoski won first place for investigations in the category for the nation's largest weekly newspaper for a study of accidents involving police vehicles. The award came from the Suburban Newspapers of America contest. Other reporters for the Journal also won awards too.

Page 8-Article on how Greenville is ranked one of the top 100 cities for young people.

Page 12-Article on the new Go Fish store in the West End.

Page 16-GTA transit article and what is currently going on with the system and plan.

Page 24-Article on Heritage Park renovations including new amphitheater and Freedom Weekend Aloft.

Page 35-Article on Meador's Sandwich Company closing.

TBA-

*A restaurant is looking at downtown Greenville. That's nothing new, but its location is. A restaurant is said to be eyeing a spot on Main Street between Academy Street and Beattie Place. That could mean a new reason for people to walk a little bit further on weekdays and weekends...

*Things are progressing quickly, but quietly on Freedom Weekend Aloft. However, expect to hear some big things about the event as it prepares to return to Greenville County after severel years in Anderson...

*Discussions continue between St. Francis Hospital and Millennium Campus to build on a site fronting Laurens Road. The big question right now is what should be built first...

*Is an end coming to the Shops at Gridlock better known as the stretch of Woodruff Road between Interstates 85 and 385? The city is working on a plan to retime the signal lights in an effort to create a better traffic flow. Something also may be done to prevent people from blocking intersections while the lights change...

*Another restaurant may soon flank Falls Park. There is strong talk that someone may move into the first floor of the Falls Place building. That would be three restaurants that have opened since the park became a reality two years ago...

*The Federal Reserve is expected to make two rate cuts in 2007. That could be good news for investors as well as small business-people looking to make changes to their companies...

*Permits have been filed for the roadwork to connect the South Financial Group's headquarters on Interstate 85. This campus setting will house several hundred employees once completed and become part of Greenville's growing Interstate 85 Boom Belt...

Front cover of Business on Page 47-

Article on the retail closings/situation going on in downtown, especially along North Main St. north of the Peace Center.

Inside Business-

Page 50-Article on upgrades to the Drive ballpark this year.

Page 51-Article on the booming office market Greenville is currently having.

I'll do this week's:

TBA-

*A restaurant is looking at downtown Greenville. That's nothing new, but its location is. A restaurant is said to be eyeing a spot on Main Street between Academy Street and Beattie Place. That could mean a new reason for people to walk a little bit further on weekdays and weekends...

A resturant between Beattie and Academy sounds WONDERFUL! I sure hope it happens. Those newly added parking spaces may not continue to sit unused for very long! :yahoo: The Pinnacle would be a great location, once built... yea.

Not the original off Augusta? :(

That's the one. :( It wasn't for lack of business though. The owner had gotten involved in area real estate and apparently is doing very well in that endeavor. Couldn't give the time needed to the restaurant as the real estate was bringing in far more money. Would be nice if somebody bought the name and kept it open. It's a VERY viable business. :thumbsup:

The notion of the City pulling out of Downtown is quite scary. But moving off of Main Street is another thing entirely. I think that a City Hall location on Washington or McBee would be a big boost to Greenville.

The city should move to the west of Main. Everything is happening to the east. If they'd tear the bus station down, then that'd be a great location on either Washington, or McBee, or better yet, Richardson Street. :thumbsup:

A sample of this week's TBA:

Some expect an announcement about County Square within 60 days.

This Spring there will be an announcement of a parntership between Flour Corp. and the Kroc Center.

More info in the coming months about a "community sales pitch" to attract investors for the mammouth park along the Reedy [Cleveland Park West] that adjoins the Kroc Center.

Sasaki Associates of Boston will update teh Gville DT master Plan. Contract to be signed soon.

TBA:

* Chamber of C. is looking to renovate it's building.

* Gordon Food Service opened in the Matrix this week

* Expect to hear some more discussion and ideas from the Market Street study [?] done last year on Greenville's economy. The report, which created quite a stir when announced, had some items for Gville leaders to work on.

* Look to hear some info. on the bells sculpture at Riverplace

* YWCA is working on a program to promote female entrepreneurs

* Soby's is looking to add an already-established operation nearby to its lineup.

* Sanford has visited the upstate frequently in the last few weeks and has a speaking engagement in March

* The 61,000 sq. ft. project on the Shealy's site in West End

Articles on Milliken, Hincapie development (with plat), and Greer.

The opinion editorial written by architect Ben Rook is titled, "Leading economic development with art: Greenville's longstanding passion." If you haven't read this, I highly recommend doing so. It is very encouraging and inspires me to be sure and attend Greenville's upcoming Artisphere, Greenville's international arts festival. Rook emphasizes the strength Greenville's leaders have shown in upholding the vision of our city as a culturally and artistically diverse place, thus bringing visitors and new businesses from around the globe.

Here is the first sentence from Ben Rook's editorial:

As respected Greenville arts patron Arthur Magill once told me, "Art is the single most important ingredient in economic development."

I recall having heard a highly respected travel expert say that the reason Paris, France, is the single most visited city in the World by tourists, is because of three important ingredients. They are:

1. Art
  2. Architecture
  3. Literature
I am very pleased to see Greenville aligning itself for a similarly successful present and future, and hope to see the pieces continue to be added to draw more acclaim and growth. :shades:

Archived