Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing good in the Journal this week except for these two TBA's:

*The Greenville Transit Authority remains in the news. The system is looking at new advertising to slap on the sides of buses. In addition, it is expected to make a decision soon on the fate of its maintenance center on Augusta Street. The system has property in the West End and many want to see it redeveloped...

*The Bi-Lo Center is working on getting a large rock show in May. The arena though is keeping hush hush on the details so far...

I wouldn't say there was "nothing good." Pretty good article on the "Vision 2020" for the Roper Mtn Science Center. They want to turn it into a premier center for science and education. I hav elong thought the RMSC has huge potential. They have also added som aquarium exhibits.

Also a mention that Gille cty could be getting another charter school. Gville cty is already home to 7 of the only 29 charter schools in the state.

Also a TBA states the N End of DT is geting a lot of interest from developers and master plans :thumbsup:

Nothing good in the Journal this week except for these two TBA's:

*The Greenville Transit Authority remains in the news. The system is looking at new advertising to slap on the sides of buses. In addition, it is expected to make a decision soon on the fate of its maintenance center on Augusta Street. The system has property in the West End and many want to see it redeveloped...

*The Bi-Lo Center is working on getting a large rock show in May. The arena though is keeping hush hush on the details so far...

I hope that the "Blue Man Group" which is scheduled to perform at the BiLo Center sometime in the coming weeks/months isn't the "large rock show" that the BiLo Center peeps are working on! If so, boo! Surely they aren't going to try and stretch the "so-called rock" element of the "Blue Man Group" show into something that they might be able to use in an advertisement that would allow them to classify it as a "large rock show". Surely.

^^^Lynyrd Skynyrd and Hank Williams Jr. will be coming to the Bi-Lo Center on June 2, 2007. It's called the "The Rowdy Frynds Tour." Maybe that's what the Greenville Journal was talking about and their source had the wrong month. The Bi-Lo Center is real lucky to get this concert because this tour is only coming to 20 cities throughout the country this year: http://www.hankjr.com/announcements.htm

^^^Lynyrd Skynyrd and Hank Williams Jr. will be coming to the Bi-Lo Center on June 2, 2007. It's called the "The Rowdy Frynds Tour." Maybe that's what the Greenville Journal was talking about and their source had the wrong month. The Bi-Lo Center is real lucky to get this concert because this tour is only coming to 20 cities throughout the country this year: http://www.hankjr.com/announcements.htm

It's not the Blue Man Group nore Williams/Skynyrd. The show is set for May, but they are not saying anything official on the act. Usually, when they are keeping quiet it is because the band hasn't officially announced a tour. And usually, the show ends up to be pretty big..Dixie Chicks a few years back was one I remember them doing.

Congratulations John Boyanoski on winning two 1st place awards for journalism excellence! You are the best business and investigative writer we have in Greenville. :yahoo:

You're very welcome.

Also, I hadn't thought of The Police. It is a definitely possibility. I was thinking Van Halen as well, but alas it looks like that one is on the backburner again. The Bi-Lo people were sort of tentative about the show, so it may have been Van Halen.

You're very welcome.

Also, I hadn't thought of The Police. It is a definitely possibility. I was thinking Van Halen as well, but alas it looks like that one is on the backburner again. The Bi-Lo people were sort of tentative about the show, so it may have been Van Halen.

The Police would definitely be great! :thumbsup: Here is their current tour schedule. Wonder if they'll be adding cities?

http://tickets-for-events.com/ResultsGener...ds=The%20Police

According to this week's TBA, the DPA approved the West End project proposed for the Shealy Electrical site.

There was also a mention of work in the 800 and 900 blocks of S Main. A salon, Wine Bar and a restaurant were mentioned.

Article on PInnacle and other projects, and the BiLo Center.

According to this week's TBA, the DPA approved the West End project proposed for the Shealy Electrical site.

There was also a mention of work in the 800 and 900 blocks of S Main. A salon, Wine Bar and a restaurant were mentioned.

Other items of note include:

: Dunkin's Donuts to add 37 stores, and a bakery in the Upstate in the next five years. Close to 700 jobs all together

: Effort to possibly end the GTA and move its authority to the city or county.

Good news for the Shealy site! Where is the 800-900 block of South Main?

Good news for the Shealy site! Where is the 800-900 block of South Main?

900 block is roughly accross from the stadium. It's a yellowish brick building that used to be a garage service. A dance studio is in one spot. Wine bar is going there. The place on the 800 block is going to be a restaurant. It is where American Outfitters was rumored to be going at one time, and for those who go a little ways back, it was the infamous Johnny's Disco at one time.

900 block is roughly accross from the stadium. It's a yellowish brick building that used to be a garage service. A dance studio is in one spot. Wine bar is going there. The place on the 800 block is going to be a restaurant. It is where American Outfitters was rumored to be going at one time, and for those who go a little ways back, it was the infamous Johnny's Disco at one time.

I believe you mean American Apparel, right? I still hope Greenville will land one of those, though the current growth in the West End has practically eliminated the "need" for one there. :thumbsup:

I believe you mean American Apparel, right? I still hope Greenville will land one of those, though the current growth in the West End has practically eliminated the "need" for one there. :thumbsup:

Yes, Apparel.

Does anyone know if there is a store in Greenville that sells American Apparel? I know there is a place in downtown Asheville that does.

Yes, Apparel.

Does anyone know if there is a store in Greenville that sells American Apparel? I know there is a place in downtown Asheville that does.

I am fairly certain that there is not one. The closest (actual full-line) stores to Greenville would be (1) in Charlotte, (1) in Columbia, and (1) in Charleston.

Articles on Maya Angelou's appearance at Artisphere, Coffee Competition on E. North.

TBA:

* Expect to hear more about a nine-story tower to be added to Court Square in the coming weeks. It will be mostly residential with one floor of office, and an underground garage

* Two nationally syndicated radio shows will broadcast from Greenville this week. The Radio Ritas and Lisa Birnbach, which air locally on WGVC-FM will run there shows from the DT Hampton Inn.

* Is the Senior PGA Tour scoping out Greenville for an event? That kind of tour-stop is a major tourism draw

* High Cotton opened this week in Gville, but more Charleston-based restauranteurs are looking at the area. The Boathouse restaurants are said to be eyeing a spot in DT. The High-end chain prefers to be located close to water.

* A new bungelow/cottage community is being built in the Dunean area. A lareg wooden fence has been erected around the site for Wetherill Park, which is a nod to the army base in Gville during the Spanish-American War. Dunean is in the county, but abuts the Green Avenue neighborhood, which the city has been trying to resurrect in the last few years.

* Bids will go out soon on the Reedy Rive running/biking trail that will head south from DT. The trail will head away from Cleveland Park toward Faris Road.

* Changes could be in the way for the Kentucky Fried Chicken on Laurens Rd. It is said to be on eof the first locations in the upstate that will transform into a Dunkin' Domuts.

Archived