Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent TBA items this week! I am very excited about each of these! If anyone has seen renderings for the 9-story building, please do share some info with us. Thank you in advance. :thumbsup:

Trey was at the meeting in which the DPC (informally) previewed the drawings. I don't think he actually saw them, but I might be wrong about that. The DPC was pleased, so I would expect a formal review by the DPC in the next month or two. Once it is filed with the city, someone could view them at City Hall.

Where exactly will this building be, I am having trouble placing court st? Is this the one we were looking at in the "Skyline Rendering" picture along with the new hotel and Peacock?

Yes. It was the green building that was not the peacock or the city hall plaza site. It will be going up right next to the chamber of commerce building behind the vardry mcbee statue on that parking lot.

Articles on Maya Angelou's appearance at Artisphere, Coffee Competition on E. North.

TBA:

* Expect to hear more about a nine-story tower to be added to Court Square in the coming weeks. It will be mostly residential with one floor of office, and an underground garage

* Two nationally syndicated radio shows will broadcast from Greenville this week. The Radio Ritas and Lisa Birnbach, which air locally on WGVC-FM will run there shows from the DT Hampton Inn.

* Is the Senior PGA Tour scoping out Greenville for an event? That kind of tour-stop is a major tourism draw

* High Cotton opened this week in Gville, but more Charleston-based restauranteurs are looking at the area. The Boathouse restaurants are said to be eyeing a spot in DT. The High-end chain prefers to be located close to water.

* A new bungelow/cottage community is being built in the Dunean area. A lareg wooden fence has been erected around the site for Wetherill Park, which is a nod to the army base in Gville during the Spanish-American War. Dunean is in the county, but abuts the Green Avenue neighborhood, which the city has been trying to resurrect in the last few years.

* Bids will go out soon on the Reedy Rive running/biking trail that will head south from DT. The trail will head away from Cleveland Park toward Faris Road.

* Changes could be in the way for the Kentucky Fried Chicken on Laurens Rd. It is said to be on eof the first locations in the upstate that will transform into a Dunkin' Domuts.

Thanks vicupstate, for some reason, I didn't get my journal this week. :dontknow:

I am guessing this may be the event hinted at earlier on this forum. Someone mentioned the possibility that the BMW Charity Pro-Am is on the way out but a larger event could take its place. With senior golfers Gary Player and Jay Haas already here, and Jack Nicklaus having been a major part of the local tournament since its exsistance, I could easily see our city becoming a home for the Senior PGA Tour. :shades:

I am guessing this may be the event hinted at earlier on this forum. Someone mentioned the possibility that the BMW Charity Pro-Am is on the way out but a larger event could take its place. With senior golfers Gary Player and Jay Haas already here, and Jack Nicklaus having been a major part of the local tournament since its exsistance, I could easily see our city becoming a home for the Senior PGA Tour. :shades:

Btoy mentioned it. I was thinking the exact same thing about how this is the tournament that could take over the BMW Charity Pro-Am next year. I wouldn't be disappointed one bit if it was. It would be a HUGE draw. :)

TBA:

* High Cotton opened this week in Gville, but more Charleston-based restauranteurs are looking at the area. The Boathouse restaurants are said to be eyeing a spot in DT. The High-end chain prefers to be located close to water.

A Boathouse restaurant on or near the Reedy River would be excellent! :shades:

A Boathouse restaurant on or near the Reedy River would be excellent! :shades:

The Boathouse in Greenville would be a great addition to our restaurant scene. I have not been to one before, but several friends of mine who are from Charleston have said that it is the best restaurant in Charleston (and with all of the nice restaurants in Charleston, that is saying something).

I hope they get a unique place on the river. Maybe the Boathouse can help get the rest of Riverplace built!

That would be interesting. I wonder if they would consider a place a little up from the riverbank? I hope they can find one on the riverbank though. I am recalling the City's (and developers') decision to continue the Art Crossing studios along the riverwalk in RiverPlace.

That would be interesting. I wonder if they would consider a place a little up from the riverbank? I hope they can find one on the riverbank though. I am recalling the City's (and developers') decision to continue the Art Crossing studios along the riverwalk in RiverPlace.

Is there anything in the old buildings next to the Peace Center? I wouldn't mind either one floor or both being renovated and putting resturant in there. Putting a bunch of windows in the back to look across the river at Riverplace and the excitement of the Riverwalk and the West End.

March 15

Articles:

+Gay Rights group targets BJU to change their rules against Homosexuality

+ Article on restauranter Carl Sobocinski

+ Chris Sligh's Band

+ Presbyterian Seminary

+ National Retailers in Gville

+ Changes at GTA

+ Work starting at TSFG

+ Supercomputer at ICAR

+ West End - The city now has the money for the next phase of the Riverplace Garage which will move up the Phase 2 timetable. Hughes says Apartments may be included as well as extention of Art Crossing. The Third phase may include a movie theater and/or a grocer. The third phase's 12 story office building may go higher if demand warrants.

TBA:

* Clothing Warehouse coming DT and Darke's Florist has moved to new spot.

* Expect an announcement within 60 days on Tom Croft's tower in the West End. The building could lead to some major developments in W.E. in the coming months.

* Meadowbrook Park has become a hot topic again. The city is trying to attain land that would make the massive Cleveland Park West a reality in a few years.

* City of Gville is looking to annex some more land along Mall Connector Road.

* It was a big year for NEXT, the Chamber of Commerce group charged with helping entrepreneurs. The group has 32 companies involved now, and helped to get four firms to move to Gville.

* Michelin's first tourism guide for Greenville will hit the printers later this month.

* A running event in April could be a major tourism draw for the region. World class runners are being invited to Furman to try to run a 4 minute mile for the first time on SC soil.

* There are a couple of new "for sale' signs on vacant pieces of land around W.E.

* The C of C is holding an economic impact forum at the end of the month.

^^^WOW. John Boyanski has done a great job again. South Financial starting construction, world class running event, tower by Tom Croft, national retailers downtown, etc. I especially love that West End one that includes Riverplace phase II and III. :yahoo:

Archived