Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

per the retail story, we looked at the top 100 selling chains, fastest growing chains, and restaurant chains nationwide and found who had what in the Upstate. We had a little more than 60 in each category. And yes we talked about Bass Pro Shops.

The two things I wish I did different were: broke down the number of stores by county ( ie Did Spartanburg have 55 of the the 100, Anderson, 50, Greenville 60?), and explained a little more about the 100 retailers. For example, Federated Departments owns Macy's and is in the top 100. They have stores in the Upstate. However, Federated also owns Bloomingdales, which is not in the Upstate. There were a couple of chains like that on the list. There were also gas stations on the top 100 and a couple of dot.coms, which I probably should have explained.

And this just hit me, I should have looked at what Charleston has. Anecdotely, they appeared to have more of the top 100 when I was going through the list, but I didn't keep a track of a solid number.

The retail article was a good one, and one that I give credit to the UrbanPlanet effect, since we were just talking about this in the Olive Garden thread in Spartanburg (plus Spartanburg's notorious LACK of major chains). Plus John B is a member here ;) Anyway, I've made my comments over in the Spartanburg Journal thread.

I agree, I want to see how its broken down by county. I suspect that most of those chains are in Greenville, and the least are in Spartanburg. I know this to be true, but it would be great to have some numbers to go with it.

Great article though.

"A new bungelow/cottage community is being built in the Dunean area."

I believe that community is going in what was known as the community "pea garden" i.e. it was a large-scale victory garden during World War II for the Dunean Community.

I wondered what was going on there.

The new bungalow/cottage community is going in what the locals call the pea field, not "pea garden." The company used to sow peas and other vegetables there for the use of the community and it sustained many families during the Depression. The fence "erected around the site" is actually only on one side, facing Allen St. The developer said the fence will be stained or painted "Charleston green" (whatever that is) and he will plant some landscaping along the road to soften the fence and add curb appeal. The huge rocks that were dug up in site preparation have been broken up and will be used to make rock walls.

Great Journal TBAs and articles this week! Thanks JB. Excited about possibility of Riverplace moving forward.

Anyone else think that some of these big chains are too cautious sometimes? For example, B&N waited forever to open a second store, but both are always packed. They could have opened a second one years ago. Whole foods in Gville is one of the most successful in the chain, they could have been here for sometime with just as much success. I think for most of these big chains, "The Field of Dreams" has the answer.

Great Journal TBAs and articles this week! Thanks JB. Excited about possibility of Riverplace moving forward.

Anyone else think that some of these big chains are too cautious sometimes? For example, B&N waited forever to open a second store, but both are always packed. They could have opened a second one years ago. Whole foods in Gville is one of the most successful in the chain, they could have been here for sometime with just as much success. I think for most of these big chains, "The Field of Dreams" has the answer.

Good point on retail. I have a big story brewing about a project on Woodruff Road. Has some interesting retail names attached. I think one or two people on this board know something about it already based on some comments made in the last few months.

Good point on retail. I have a big story brewing about a project on Woodruff Road. Has some interesting retail names attached. I think one or two people on this board know something about it already based on some comments made in the last few months.

Sounds like Magnolia Park Town Center. This should be interesting. Alternative transit options, please come soon! :D

So with todays Magnolia announcement....................

Will your article be coming up soon?

TBA:

* The city is hoping to get a new development agreement inked by the end of the month on the former Woolworth's site. The deal would be for the redevelopment of almost an entire block, and city leaders appear pretty excited about the prospects [ everyone keep your fingers crossed !!]

* The final round of improvements at the Carolina First Center are expected to start soon. It will cap off a major rebirth for the convention center.

* A lot of specialty retailers are said to be looking at DT, which should put an end to the fears that retail is failing along Main St. Some interesting rumors are flying concerning the former Drake's site.

* The city's investment in revitizing Pleasantburg Dr. has taken off in the last few months. That has given city leaders confidence when moving forward with other retail corridors. Wade Hampton Blvd. is high on the renewal list.

* While the Lowcountry pursues the PGA Championship in 2012, there is a growing belief that the upstate can play host to a regular pGA event in the near future. A lot of upstate leaders are heading to Kiawah this spring for the Senior PGA Championship to watch golf, but more importantly show that the Upstate can support such an event.

* BiLo Center is expected to announce in a few days a large rock concert for May.

* Clinton will likely join the Upstate Alliance.

Articles on Site Consultants living here, Anderson Joes baseball, InnoVenture, McChesney project and the city's next capital improvement plan ($51.3mm). This is the budget for roads, storm water and landscaping. There apparently will be some money for Piazza Bergamo, Riverplace (garage?), Fresh Market, Magnolia Plaza.

Articles on Site Consultants living here

This was an EXCELLENT article! :thumbsup:

If any of you missed it, grab this last weeks Journal before they are gone and read this article.

The fact that Greenville has such a large population of professional site consultants makes a major statement about our life in the Upstate / Greenville. It's a site consultants job to find the best site for companies to locate and their job is to look at local government, transportation, quality of life, schools, recreation, etc. The fact that we have a large cluster of nationally known site consultants actually living here and choosing Greenville for their personal lives........well, you can put 2 and 2 together for what that says about Greenville. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Who is feeling generous enough to post this week's TBA for us out-of-towners? ;)

Going off memory here, but we had a story about a Greenville man's company getting one of his products into Lowe's; a story on Innoventure becoming a tour of sites across the state; Upstate Alliance having its best year ever. Also a pretty cool non-business story about a former Division I basketball coach now coaching at Walhalla Middle and how he has found peace in that job.

TBAs ( some of these might not have run, and I think some of these are being talked about in other sections of the board already)

-- New deal coming on former Woolworth's/ BOA/ parking deck sites.

-- Expect to hear some more soon about the multi-modal hub at Carolina First Center.

And sorry, I wrote next week's TBA yesterday, and they are all stuck in my head.

Going off memory here, but we had a story about a Greenville man's company getting one of his products into Lowe's; a story on Innoventure becoming a tour of sites across the state; Upstate Alliance having its best year ever. Also a pretty cool non-business story about a former Division I basketball coach now coaching at Walhalla Middle and how he has found peace in that job.

TBAs ( some of these might not have run, and I think some of these are being talked about in other sections of the board already)

-- New deal coming on former Woolworth's/ BOA/ parking deck sites.

-- Expect to hear some more soon about the multi-modal hub at Carolina First Center.

And sorry, I wrote next week's TBA yesterday, and they are all stuck in my head.

Thanks John! I'm already looking forward to next week's. :)

TBA summarized from the April 6, 2007 edition of Greenville Journal:

• Upstate Forever and the Chamber of Commerce are hosting a conference next week (this week?) to discuss growth issues and the future of Woodruff Road...
  • Upstate Alliance is encouraging colleges and universities to become more active members...
  • As was previously mentioned in the Journal, a site consultant conference will be held in June somewhere in the Upstate. This could really help the efforts to promote Greenville...
  • Information should be out soon regarding a large, German automotive delegation visiting the Upstate in October...
  • The Westside of Greenville is experiencing more growth with new homes continuing to be built...
  • The City plans to annex 22 acres near Fairforest Way and new housing is expected to go onto the property...
  • The City plans to annex the rest of the property at The Point, which would become the new McChesney mixed-use development previously mentioned. "...Some rather large companies' names have been floated as part of the project..."

Greenville Journal TBA's for last week:

-Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is officially bringing one of its steakhouses to the Upstate. More information should be coming soon...

-Seven acres of land off of Academy Street in the West End recently changed hands. There is talk of a Florida taking over the site and building a mixed-use development on the site...

-Greer continues to pop. There is talk of a second large shopping center coming to the Interstate 85 section...

-Signs for the new Fresh Market have appeared on Laurens Road. The grocery store will be the main tenant of a new shopping center on Pleasantburg and Antrim Drives, but the developers want to get drivers heading down the main Laurens artery as well...

-The demolition of City Hall Plaza should start by September, but city officials are still debating whether to put a first-floor Council chamber on the site as part of a hotel project...

-The developers of the former Woolworth's site on Main Street will get four more months to pull together property and begin the process of creating something new on the street corner. The city expects most of the block to be revitalized...

-Several popular downtown bars haven't paid their hospitality taxes or for their business licenses. The city may soon shut these businesses down, which could open some rather large holes on Main Street...

-The city is pushing forward with redevelopment in the Green Avenue area. City leaders are trying to attain several commercial parcels in hopes of getting them redeveloped. There is also hope that the former apartments there will be redevelopment for a new use. The city also wants to pursue annexing houses on Guess Street, which adjoins Green, to spark redevelopment...

-The bottom floor of Poinsett Corners, the downtown condo/parking garage/office/retail development is almost filled up. This project has been seen as one of the major benchmarks for growth away from Main Street, and in theory could spur development westward...

TBA's for this week:

-It's still possible, but it doesn't look likely that the city will invest money in a new ground-floor City Council chambers at the corner of Main and Broad streets. Money appears to be the key issue...

-While not noticed by many residents, the Greenline-Spartanburg neighborhood offers some of the best views of downtown. The city has had plans to revitalize this area for several years, but some work may begin soon. Money has been set aside to correct Center Street...

-The city's appeal of the smoking ban disallowance has been sent to the state Supreme Court. However, most restaurants have decided to stay smoke-free and the state Legislature is considering a bill that would make restaurants, but not bars statewide smoke-free...

-The Chamber of Commerce will send a delegation to Ireland later this month to learn how cities such as Dublin have become some of the hottest place on earth to move to for work and quality of life...

-Cookies By Design is looking at a site on Rhett Street to open its first downtown shop...

-The city continues to push for redevelopment in the Pete Hollis Highway area. A "big deal" is said to be looming. Of course, there have been a lot of big deal rumors about this area in recent months...

-A new Indian restaurant is going into the former Diner on Main spot, which closed late last year. Once again, a storefront in the Bergamo Plaza area did not stay vacant for long...

-Renovations are also happening at the former Kelly's restaurant site on West Washington Street...

Seven acres of land off of Academy Street in the West End recently changed hands. There is talk of a Florida taking over the site and building a mixed-use development on the site...
G-Man430 had posted this from the Greenville Journal a couple of weeks ago. I have been wandering were this site could be? According to the tax maps the three pieces of land in front of the Kroc center on Academy st would be about seven acres. Today there were crews on this site doing what looked like soil testing ? So maybe this could be the site for a future mixed use development?

Anybody got any info?

Archived