Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

G-Man430 had posted this from the Greenville Journal a couple of weeks ago. I have been wandering were this site could be? According to the tax maps the three pieces of land in front of the Kroc center on Academy st would be about seven acres. Today there were crews on this site doing what looked like soil testing ? So maybe this could be the site for a future mixed use development?

Anybody got any info?

That would be the correct site. Academy right where Camperdown unloads into it.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For 4/27/2007

Articles:

-the state of Greenville's I-385 entrance into downtown

-Southern Connector's slow progress to advance development

TBAs

-Chiefs on Congaree Road becoming annexed into the city

-Speculation of West Washington/Hudson streets corner

-Iranian cuisine in former Surratt's

-Chiefs on Congaree Road becoming annexed into the city

I wonder what that will do to their HUGE crowds? I *strongly* suspect that a large reason for those crowds is that you can go out there and smoke while drinking some fire water and eating some wings whereas you can no longer do the same at other places inside the city limits (Wild Wings, for example)? I've avoided Chief's for that very reason, being a non-smoker. Perhaps I'll be able to enjoy it againafter it's annexed. ^_^

^^^I don't get Journals delivered to my house anymore, so I have to drive to Bi-Lo every Thursday or Friday to pick one up. :(

Do you have to pay for it at Bi-Lo, or is it free? I picked one up at EarthFare once and it was free. That, or I accidentally stole a Greenville Journal. :lol:

The Journal is free to pick up at all locations. They only charge for delivery.

I'm fairly confident that the Journal is free to residents in their distribution area as well. I am positive my parents don't pay for it, and it's delivered to their driveway every Thursday afternoon/evening.

They deliver for free to a select number of neighborhoods (over 65,000 of the most desirable households in the Upstate for advertisers), including mine (it's nice to be desirable for a change). You can subscribe for $95/year. I believe it's $0.50 to pick it up out of the box, but many places provide them free of charge. Port City Java is one of those.

Anything yet?

Hate to dissapoint you guys, but we have very little more than what I posted here the other day about Skyline. It's three sites, a conglomeration of groups working on the project, still transforming. Kirven said it has nothing to do with County Square. Though, at least, we have that out in the open. It doesn't look like the city is involved at this time (though as soon as I write this, I know someone will find a mention of it on the city's budget for Monday)

As for the "skyline" reference, my personal feeling is that its a ruse of some sorts. Think Pogo and the other secret project names in the last few months.

Other than that. Here are some of the highlights this week.

-- Story on Griffin Park and the effort to keep West Georgia Roadless traffic laden

-- Story on the first houses on Verdae

-- McDonald Transit won't fight the transition of GTA to a new bus service.

-- TBA-- an Iranian restaurant is coming downtown, and off the top of my head I can't think of what else was in TBA this week.

As for the "skyline" reference, my personal feeling is that its a ruse of some sorts. Think Pogo and the other secret project names in the last few months.

I still think "Project Skyline" was just a comical obscure reference to a game with arguable similarities:

Do you suppose this could be where the name came from?<http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/25167

"Project Skyline allows players to play as big-time investors. A new city is being built. First, the Architect draws up his vision, then buildings are built using playing pieces. It's good to try and secure lots of adjacent property as quickly as possible, better still when it's near the street. Because the larger and more valuable a property is, the more rent can be demanded from the other players. Be careful about your opponents' plotting, however; no building is safe from takeover. Who will be the richest property owner of the new city?"

:rofl:

Has anyone got the new issue of the journal.I'm on my way out of town and want have time to pick one up.I have got rather attached to reading the articles and if someone would post the highlights it would be greatly apreaciated.

I don't have my copy with me right now and can't remember everything I read, but one of the TBA blurbs by John Boyanoski mentioned that there are rumors swirling about more housing coming to the top of Paris Mountain. I wonder if it has anything to do with the now infamous "Project Skyline?" Highly doubtful, but you never know. Hmmm..... :rolleyes:

I don't have my copy with me right now and can't remember everything I read, but one of the TBA blurbs by John Boyanoski mentioned that there are rumors swirling about more housing coming to the top of Paris Mountain. I wonder if it has anything to do with the now infamous "Project Skyline?" Highly doubtful, but you never know. Hmmm..... :rolleyes:

:rofl: I'm not knocking any comment that has been made. I think it's great. But I think it's funny that we're covering all of the bases with our guesses. I mean you can't help but do that since we're so in the dark about it, but in the end, we're bound to be able to say "I knew it!"

Archived