Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

:rofl: I'm not knocking any comment that has been made. I think it's great. But I think it's funny that we're covering all of the bases with our guesses. I mean you can't help but do that since we're so in the dark about it, but in the end, we're bound to be able to say "I knew it!"

Hey Gville,

It's not as strange as it seems. I got the paris mtn. idea from asking questions about skyline, which I hope to have more info on by the end of the day.

john

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a summary of this week's (May 11, 2007) TBA column:

- AT&T has installed its sign on the BellSouth building downtown... (Hopefully other downtown buildings will find signs to put up.)

- Brick Street Lofts are moving along quickly... (We have photos in the construction thread.)

- The residential units at McBee Station are coming up quickly. The project should be ready by the end of the summer...

- There is a lot of buzz and rumor about more housing coming to the top of Paris Mountain... (verbatim)

- The old Earth Fare at Lewis Plaza (Augusta Road) is now an antiques store.

- News is expected regarding the upgrade to Pickwick Pharmacy on Augusta road. A 1950s-style soda fountain is part of the renovation plans...

- While little is known about their involvement in "Project Skyline," the City will definitely play a role. Council members have met and are sworn to secrecy.

May 17th's TBA's:

-Grocery Stores are said to be looking to try and get booths at the Saturday Market...

-The Southwide Textile Heritage Initiative will hold a press conference this Friday to discuss the plans to preserve the region's mill history. The newly formed group will be in the Upstate to look at textile efforts...

-Fast-growing companies have less than a week to see how they stack up against their peers. May 21st is the deadline to enter the Elliott Davis and the South Carolina Chamber of Commerce South Carolina's Fastest-Growing Companies 2007. The ranking system tabulates the results based on a combination of increases in gross revenue (or assets) and increases in full time employment in South Carolina year-to-year. Forty-nine percent of 2006 winners hailed from the upstate.

-NFL legend Sam Wyche will be the guest speaker at the Greenville Chamber's annual CEO summit on May 24. Remember, Wyche was head of a successful sporting goods franchise after he played his last NFL down and before he became the architect of "The Catch" and led the Cincinnati Bengals to a Super Bowl...

-The Greenville Chamber will host an event on May 21st looking at the impact of the Clemson Renaissance Center downtown and what the future may hold for the project...

-The Greenville Area Development Corp. will hold its sixth annual investor update on May 23 at Thornblade Club in Greer...

-Mayor Knox White will be talking about the city's future in a speech at the Crowne Plaza hotel on May 25...

Once again, a dull TBA week in terms of development news. Though the event by the Chamber on the impact of the Renaissance Center should be interesting if anyone can go. Also, I'd like to hear what the Mayor has to say about the city's future on May 25th.

Also, an ad mentions that GHS's Patewood Medical Campus will be giving tours on Saturday May 19th from 10-noon. If anyone wants to check it out.

Interesting article worth checking out about the city working on a new master plan for downtown. The Massachusetts based firm will work on the task and include current projects as well as future developments and other needs of downtown in the next 20 years. The boundaries will be Stone Avenue to the north, Pettigru historic district to the east, Hampton-Pinckney to the West, and the Baseball Stadium to the south.

Interesting article worth checking out about the city working on a new master plan for downtown. The Massachusetts based firm will work on the task and include current projects as well as future developments and other needs of downtown in the next 20 years. The boundaries will be Stone Avenue to the north, Pettigru historic district to the east, Hampton-Pinckney to the West, and the Baseball Stadium to the south.

This will be an update by Sasaki Associates, Inc. from Boston, who developed the initial master plan for the downtown portion of the Reedy River Corridor over ten years ago. I am very excited about this. :)

May 17th's TBA's:

-Grocery Stores are said to be looking to try and get booths at the Saturday Market...

-The Southwide Textile Heritage Initiative will hold a press conference this Friday to discuss the plans to preserve the region's mill history. The newly formed group will be in the Upstate to look at textile efforts...

-Fast-growing companies have less than a week to see how they stack up against their peers. May 21st is the deadline to enter the Elliott Davis and the South Carolina Chamber of Commerce South Carolina's Fastest-Growing Companies 2007. The ranking system tabulates the results based on a combination of increases in gross revenue (or assets) and increases in full time employment in South Carolina year-to-year. Forty-nine percent of 2006 winners hailed from the upstate.

-NFL legend Sam Wyche will be the guest speaker at the Greenville Chamber's annual CEO summit on May 24. Remember, Wyche was head of a successful sporting goods franchise after he played his last NFL down and before he became the architect of "The Catch" and led the Cincinnati Bengals to a Super Bowl...

-The Greenville Chamber will host an event on May 21st looking at the impact of the Clemson Renaissance Center downtown and what the future may hold for the project...

-The Greenville Area Development Corp. will hold its sixth annual investor update on May 23 at Thornblade Club in Greer...

-Mayor Knox White will be talking about the city's future in a speech at the Crowne Plaza hotel on May 25...

Once again, a dull TBA week in terms of development news. Though the event by the Chamber on the impact of the Renaissance Center should be interesting if anyone can go. Also, I'd like to hear what the Mayor has to say about the city's future on May 25th.

Also, an ad mentions that GHS's Patewood Medical Campus will be giving tours on Saturday May 19th from 10-noon. If anyone wants to check it out.

i was out of town most of the week, so I had to do a lot of it from out of state. Next week, I have some real good ones.

I wasn't able to get back to Greenville until this morning ( :( ), but I finally saw the Journal for this week ( :) ) and found one good item no one has mentioned yet. The vacant former location of Earshot on Coffee Street will soon be a home furnishings retailer. I hope they do well there. :shades:

Man I really hate the map shop closed down, that was probably my favorite DT store! :cry:

I liked the article about the DT master plan, that should help to keep focus on the core of the city. Hopefully, they will come up with some great new projects. :thumbsup:

Only thing though, I would have liked for them to include a larger area for study, as I think the DT could (and will hopefully) encompass much more space than the designated area by the year 2030.

A GREAT Greenville Journal this week! For those out-of-towners, here's what you're missing:

TBA's:

-More information on Project Skyline should be available by the end of the month, but how much will be made public about the super-secretive action remains unclear. The city will take some kind of action on it, but officials are remaining mum if that may be annexation, landscaping, or something else...

-Another city project could come into the open by the end of the month as well. Five groups have expressed interest in the former Greenville Memorial Auditorium site, and at least one has sent in an official proposal. The Federal Government, which has been interested in the site for a new courthouse, is not expected to block any possible development...

-Keep hearing that things are close on naming the first floor tenant at the Pinnacle on Main, and the project is definitely on track to start soon...

-Changes could be coming to the parking on several side roads of Main Street. The city is considering angled parking spaces on Broad and Rhett streets in order to re-create the "feel" of Main...

-There is a lot of work going on at the Matrix in southern Greenville County. Two of the spec buildings on the industrial campus are completed, while several buildings adjacent to the site are ramping up...

-Work should start within the next few months on the next phase of the Reedy River walking trail heading south from Cleveland Park. The eventual plan is to have a trail heading from TR to the Conestee area...

-Two former businesses on Anderson Rd just inside the city limits are slated for demolition. The buildings have long been vacant, and could be part of the continuing renovation of the Green Avenue area...

Article on the Greenville Drive's second season. Attendance is UP this year over last year's! Also interesting was this: 25 projects in the West End, ranging from resturants, retail, building renovations, and residential, have occured since last April when the Drive played their first game at West End Field.

A GREAT Greenville Journal this week! For those out-of-towners, here's what you're missing:

TBA's:

-More information on Project Skyline should be available by the end of the month, but how much will be made public about the super-secretive action remains unclear. The city will take some kind of action on it, but officials are remaining mum if that may be annexation, landscaping, or something else...

-Another city project could come into the open by the end of the month as well. Five groups have expressed interest in the former Greenville Memorial Auditorium site, and at least one has sent in an official proposal. The Federal Government, which has been interested in the site for a new courthouse, is not expected to block any possible development...

-Keep hearing that things are close on naming the first floor tenant at the Pinnacle on Main, and the project is definitely on track to start soon...

-Changes could be coming to the parking on several side roads of Main Street. The city is considering angled parking spaces on Broad and Rhett streets in order to re-create the "feel" of Main...

-There is a lot of work going on at the Matrix in southern Greenville County. Two of the spec buildings on the industrial campus are completed, while several buildings adjacent to the site are ramping up...

-Work should start within the next few months on the next phase of the Reedy River walking trail heading south from Cleveland Park. The eventual plan is to have a trail heading from TR to the Conestee area...

-Two former businesses on Anderson Rd just inside the city limits are slated for demolition. The buildings have long been vacant, and could be part of the continuing renovation of the Green Avenue area...

Article on the Greenville Drive's second season. Attendance is UP this year over last year's! Also interesting was this: 25 projects in the West End, ranging from resturants, retail, building renovations, and residential, have occured since last April when the Drive played their first game at West End Field.

Thanks so much for posting this week's TBAs, GvilleSC! This week definitely had some exciting news to report. :thumbsup:

I am intrigued by the 5 groups that have expressed an interest in the Gateway site. I wonder what the submitted proposal looked like? I'm obviously hoping for something tall (15-20 stories or more on a highrise would be PERFECT for that location. I would think it would really stand out from the midtown area of I-385, and certainly as you continue the drive into downtown.

The number of projects that have occurred in the West End since last April are impressive. An urban ballpark was a great idea, and to see the West End hopping like it is shows that a forward-thinking group of people knew what they were doing.

Is the Green Avenue area near Mills Avenue and the Lofts at Mills? If so, I believe it was Green Avenue that was supposedly the largest heroin distribution area outside of New York City back in the 1980's. Obviously things have changed since then!

Is the Green Avenue area near Mills Avenue and the Lofts at Mills? If so, I believe it was Green Avenue that was supposedly the largest heroin distribution area outside of New York City back in the 1980's. Obviously things have changed since then!

That is the one. Law enforcement officers said during those days that it was condsidered by many in their profession to be the "Drug Main Street, U.S.A." What a difference time makes. :thumbsup:

There was talk for a long time on here about annexation of sizable land near the Lake Forest area (maybe? can't remember where exactly). Nothing ever came of it. Perhaps finally something is..? I would love for that to be the case. Also, maybe the rest of Chanticleer is going to join the city? All just guesses, but I sure hope the land is more than just something for Project Skyline. I want some sizable residential portions to be added.

can someone please post the TBAs I'm on duty all weekend and wont have a chance to pick up a copy.

If I post them, you will probably say something along the lines of "That is stuff we already know. Give us some real news." How many of us don't know there is a Super Bi-Lo being built at Verdae right now? :blink:

Here are the ones that some of us might not know about already:

-Furman's Timmons Arena will undergo renovations later this summer to give the site a more basketball-conducive feel. (What exactly is a basketball-conducive feel? It's not in the shape of a baseball field, is it?)

-A development group sent in $10,000 to the City of Greenville to try and seal the deal on a development project for the gateway site. (I'll believe it when I see it)

-Public restrooms will be heading to Main Street somewhere on the Courtyard by Marriott site. (Woohoo, free potty breaks for everybody)

-Talk of more annexations coming soon for the City of Greenville. (What are they going to annex this time? A Waffle House, Starbuck's, maybe Wal-Mart?)

-Expect to hear more about bike rentals in downtown Greenville. (JB forgot to post when we would hear this.)

-An apartment complex (there aren't enough of them along with Starbuck's and Walmart's) may be going on the site of a former trailer park on Brookside Circle (where?). Expect nearby residents to object to the plan (another case of anywhere, but my backyard. What else is new?)

-The Super Bi-Lo sign is up at their new store at Verdae Marketfair. (You're supposed to keep that a secret. You could of made a game out of it like where's Waldo)

-A lot of grading and some road work has been completed on the first phase of Verdae's Hollingsworth Park. (I don't know what to say regarding this)

Archived