Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-An apartment complex (there aren't enough of them along with Starbuck's and Walmart's) may be going on the site of a former trailer park on Brookside Circle (where?). Expect nearby residents to object to the plan (another case of anywhere, but my backyard. What else is new?)

Brookside Circle is off of Wade Hampton in the city, near the motel that has been in the news. This is a very nice middle class neighborhood, conversely, I can understand them trying to spruce it up a bit. This might just be the start of a revival for the Wade Hampton Blvd area.

Brookside Cir.

I cannot remember if I posted this or not, but a developer had been looking at the trailer park by Majestic Music and the Cottonbottom as well. Could this be the same one? It is in the same general area.

I never thought I'd see the day that the Cottonbottom has been mentioned on UP...

On a somewhat related note (dives on Wade Hampton)...has anyone heard anything about the lot that used to be home to The Silver Fox? It's a HUGE lot. I realize there's nothing there now, but with development going crazy on WH towards Greer, it seems like this spot has a LOT of potential.

Can anyone with their journal give us a quick look at the TBAs?

This weeks TBA's

"Fans of a bigger skyline" - Old greenville memorial auditorium site. Plans for one of the prospects will be a building in excess of 10 stories. (is this a reference to project skyline you think?)

-Fed gov't is looking at atleast 19 sites in downtown for a new courthouse

-Next parking garage for Riverplace could start within 30 days.

-Group of downtown business owners have grouped together to help keep downtown growing strong.

-Sasaki master plan, community invited to help give input for downtown future growth.

-Rails to Trails hoping to start work on northern section in 2007 but likely will start in 2008.

-CU-ICAR officials are in talks with NASCAR, Formula one teams

-City to close deal to renovate the underused plaza on main and broad by the end of July.

This weeks TBA's

"Fans of a bigger skyline" - Old greenville memorial auditorium site. Plans for one of the prospects will be a building in excess of 10 stories. (is this a reference to project skyline you think?)

-Group of downtown business owners have grouped together to help keep downtown growing strong.

-Sasaki master plan, community invited to help give input for downtown future growth.

-Rails to Trails hoping to start work on northern section in 2007 but likely will start in 2008.

-City to close deal to renovate the underused plaza on main and broad by the end of July.

Thanks so much for posting this week's Journal TBAs. Some thoughts:

-I hope the proposal for the Gateway site is a lot in excess of 10 stories (as in at least 15, if not closer to 20). A paltry 10-12 story building there would be a huge letdown after all these years of waiting for something to go there.

-I would be curious to know which 19 sites are being looked at for the new federal courthouse. I hope they are still planning on making it at least 8 stories, but with the right site chosen it could have a smaller footprint and go higher.

-I wonder what the downtown business owners' ideas are to help downtown continue to grow at this great pace?

This weeks TBA's

Thanks. I got to pick up my copy tonight too.

Sounds promising on the gateway site, but I am like Greenville, it better be pretty good after all this time. :rolleyes: 19 sites? Hmm, that means there are at least 19 sites pretty ripe for development; that's a good sign! :thumbsup: Does this mean Riverplace pahses 2 and 3 could be forthcoming? :dontknow: Wonder what CUICAR would be doing with racing teams, could this be the wind tunnel, or something else? :dontknow:

This week's contents:

• Cover Story on the emerging presence of gangs (not the good kind, either) in Greenville
  • Story on the growth of Artisphere (now listed as one of the top 20 events in the Southeast by the Southeast Toursim Society)
  • An article on the life and passing of Alester G. Furman III
  • An article on the booming Upstate Automotive Industry
  • An article discussing downtown parking meters
  • An article about the H-Prize
  • An article about CU-ICAR's involvement with Formula 1 Racing

TBAs:

• A major event will be held by the City of Greenville to commemorate the completion of landscaping on Pleasantburg Drive and draw attention to the corridor.
  • Preliminary details (as Skyliner has provided to us) of the Woodruff Road Traffic Study should be available soon.
  • City Council held a closed-door meeting with representatives for the various parties involved with the redevelopment of the old Woolworth's site (Washington and Main). Of course, acquiring the land is still the sticking point.
  • Table 301 and Carl Sobocinski are opening the Lazy Goat at RiverPlace next week, their 4th restaurant downtown.
  • The Greenville CVB will unveil a new Web Site by 01-SEP-2007. The CVB has been busy of late luring events such as the 2008 Bassmaster Classic and Wing Ding 30.
  • Work has begun on the frontage of the former Subway/Ragan's Market on North Main. As Skyliner has advised, look for a Rising Roll Gourmet Sandwich Shop there soon.
  • Rocks and Ropes and Jon Franks have departed the West End...the first hiccup for the area in several months (I think someone reported previously that a new restaurant will be coming to the old Rocks and Ropes building...not sure if anyone has shown interest yet in Jon Franks' location).

• 2 weeks later...

Someone have the TBA's this week?

Thursday June 22, 2007

- Expect to hear more soon about funding for Greenlink. This is the bus/train systam that will connect downtown / Carolina First Center / Verdae

- Downtown Owners group will pitch an action plan for unified marketing to City Council this week.

- Closing date is expected soon for the project at City Hall Plaza. Work on the site should start after Labor Day.

- City is about to embark on a massive comprehensive plan to look at things like zoning and development guidelines. Process will be open to the public and will set guidelines for the next 20 years.

- Project Skyline is not at all dead. It's in the political process now and internal dealings are being worked on before a public announcement can be made.

- Another banking company is looking to move into Upstate markets. Upstate currently has 32 banking brands.

- The former Jerry's Curb Service on Woodruff has been demolished.

- A final decision on the Greenville smoking ban is expected by the end of summer. State Supreme Court is expected to rule on the case by then.

The Greenville Journal is undergoing constant change, so expect to see a few additions such as a sports page, wedding announcements, and a new feature called, "It Came From The Upstate." This is a new block in the business section designated to specific well-known products made here in the Upstate. The current issue has the first of these features - Park Place Corporation's mattresses.

The Greenville Journal is undergoing constant change, so expect to see a few additions such as a sports page, wedding announcements, and a new feature called, "It Came From The Upstate." This is a new block in the business section designated to specific well-known products made here in the Upstate. The current issue has the first of these features - Park Place Corporation's mattresses.

Cool! It just keeps getting better.

The changes for the most part sound good, but you are joking about the "wedding announcement" part I hope? I've always thought the Journal was a little more urban than that. Wedding announcements just don't fit the image. Why do we need to know that Sally Sue and Tom will have 14 bridesmaids, he was a member of KA, and they'll take a honeymoon trip to the Cook Islands? :rolleyes: I hope the Journal rethinks this part.

The changes for the most part sound good, but you are joking about the "wedding announcement" part I hope? I've always thought the Journal was a little more urban than that. Wedding announcements just don't fit the image. Why do we need to know that Sally Sue and Tom will have 14 bridesmaids, he was a member of KA, and they'll take a honeymoon trip to the Cook Islands? :rolleyes: I hope the Journal rethinks this part.

I was surprised about that one as well. It doesn't seem to fit the overall goal of the periodical, but then I really pay less attention to sections outside the business section - not that I don't read other articles, but I am most interested in what John Boyanoski writes as opposed to the other information. I do really like the Arts section as well though. :thumbsup:

:rofl:

I agree about the wedding announcements part not really fitting. What's next, obituaries? :blink:

One thing I would like to see is for The Greenville Journal to have online content. It would be great to be able to go online and read feature stories, the weekly TBA, etc. Even if it were only updated once or twice a week, it would be a wonderful addition!

One thing I would like to see is for The Greenville Journal to have online content. It would be great to be able to go online and read feature stories, the weekly TBA, etc. Even if it were only updated once or twice a week, it would be a wonderful addition!

I second the motion for online content. Seems like a money maker through online ads. :dontknow:

:stop: Disclaimer: when I said I liked the changes I was overlooking the wedding announcements and getting excited about other parts... :ph34r:

I second the motion for online content. Seems like a money maker through online ads. :dontknow:

:stop: Disclaimer: when I said I liked the changes I was overlooking the wedding announcements and getting excited about other parts... :ph34r:

Without giving out too much information, these will be a different kind of wedding announcement than the ones seen in other Upstate papers. I think you will all find them very metropolitan when they are written.

Archived