Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

Without giving out too much information, these will be a different kind of wedding announcement than the ones seen in other Upstate papers. I think you will all find them very metropolitan when they are written.

Are we talking anything like the New York Times Sunday wedding write-ups? Those can be the most entertaining part of the week! LOL! But then again, that concept may be a bit too 'yankee' for Greenville, I suppose.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we talking anything like the New York Times Sunday wedding write-ups? Those can be the most entertaining part of the week! LOL! But then again, that concept may be a bit too 'yankee' for Greenville, I suppose.

:whistling:

Actually, we are going to sneak business development news into the announcements to keep everyone guessing what will happen. Example: The bride wore a gown made of pink tafida not found in Greenville now, but could be coming soon via a high-end retailer locating off Woodruff Road.

Or "the couple will honeymoon in Aruba, and when they come back they can eat in a new Aruban-style restaurant opening on Main Street."

:whistling:

Actually, we are going to sneak business development news into the announcements to keep everyone guessing what will happen. Example: The bride wore a gown made of pink tafida not found in Greenville now, but could be coming soon via a high-end retailer locating off Woodruff Road.

Or "the couple will honeymoon in Aruba, and when they come back they can eat in a new Aruban-style restaurant opening on Main Street."

:lol:

In all seriousness, would be nice to see civil unions dropped in from time to time.

Did anyone get there copy of the Journal I went to get a copy but there wasn't any out yet.They do come out on Thursday right?

They technically come out Friday, but my neighborhood usually gets them delivered on Thursday Night. I went out this morning and still no journal though. I'm not sure what's up. :dontknow:

Here's some of the stuff

Cover: All of the golf courses in the mountains, what they mean for the economy, the cost to build them, the race to build more.

Inside

--- story on Greenline-Spartanburg renovations

--- Mauldin and Sunda alcohol sales

--- trail from downtown to T.R.

-- More on GSP and the 800,000 grant to get lure Frontier. Our story has a lot of details about the project

--- downtown master plan story

Here's some of the stuff

Cover: All of the golf courses in the mountains, what they mean for the economy, the cost to build them, the race to build more.

Inside

--- story on Greenline-Spartanburg renovations

--- Mauldin and Sunda alcohol sales

--- trail from downtown to T.R.

-- More on GSP and the 800,000 grant to get lure Frontier. Our story has a lot of details about the project

--- downtown master plan story

My sister lives in Memphis and it is a Frontier Hub, they fly Frontier all the time, BUt, when they do they fly out of Tupelo Mississippi rather than Memphis. For some reason it is cheaper to fly Frontier out of Tupelo than Memphis despite the fact that the first flight is always straight back to Memphis and then they get on a another plane to their destination. Also, they do not let you on the connection if you didn't first take the flight from Tupelo to Memphis they found that out when they tried to skip the first leg.

I think everyone in my neighborhood got theirs but me.

I have never gotten an issue I live downtown at Pendleton West and I guess we arent affluent enough because we don't get it. Charter won't give cable service either.

I have never gotten an issue I live downtown at Pendleton West and I guess we arent affluent enough because we don't get it. Charter won't give cable service either.

You're kidding right? Geez. You live in the heart of it all and can't get cable or the Journal? I wonder why?

Thursday June 22, 2007

- Another banking company is looking to move into Upstate markets. Upstate currently has 32 banking brands.

Not sure if this is the banking company the Journal was referring to, but heard today that RBC is about to make a large push into the Upstate.

Maybe someone can help me out here. I thought that RBC had place in Falls Place downtown? They atleast have or had their name on the outside didn't they?

I would love for them to build a tower downtown. I don't like the balconies on the top of the RBC building, but I like all the glass... ;)

Maybe someone can help me out here. I thought that RBC had place in Falls Place downtown? They atleast have or had their name on the outside didn't they?

I would love for them to build a tower downtown. I don't like the balconies on the top of the RBC building, but I like all the glass... ;)

RBC does have a ATM and Branch at falls Place. Their insurance office is on Wade Hampton in one of the old Liberty Life Buildings.

Yes - they have a branch in the Falls Place building on South Main. As for the balconies, those are condos...you have high-rise condos, you're gonna have balconies. What can I say? ^_^

Yes - they have a branch in the Falls Place building on South Main. As for the balconies, those are condos...you have high-rise condos, you're gonna have balconies. What can I say? ^_^

Sure, but there are other ways to incorporate balconies. e.g: have them sunken into the building and not hanging out like it's something straight out of Myrtle Beach.

Great Issue this week in terms of development stuff...

- A major announcement should be coming from Clemson University regarding automotives sometime in the next week or so... I wonder what this could be? I'm assuming it's in Greenville, and therefore at ICAR and would more than likely not be Rolls. I hope it means more jobs, and not another "partnership with NASCAR" or something. Anyone got any ideas?

-Leaders from ever city in South Carolina will be in Greenville next week to learn more about how the city has pulled off so much development. The Municipal Association of South Carolina is holding its annual meeting here, which means hundreds of hotel rooms will be filled as well... This is great! Looking to Greenville as an example and more hotel rooms full...

-Expect to hear something in the next two-to-three months on the plans for the former Memorial Auditorium site as the new ownership group does a market study on what can be built there...

-Plans for the old City Hall site may end up being taller than expected, but that doesn't mean more stories are being added. The ground underneath the site is much more solid than expected, so the entire project will be lifted. The city has set a date of Sept 6 to close on the property with Windsor-Aughtry Co... I'm excited about this. Though it's not more floors, it will increase its impact visually on people entering downtown from the South and West. Cool! Plus, it is going to add density and the taller it is, the more dense it will seem...

-The Federal Government is now looking at 6 sites downtown for a future courthouse. One of these sites in play is near Camperdown Way and Falls Street. The Memorial Auditorium site is still on the list, but is considered a last option... My only hope is that the site(s) are small, so it keeps the Courthouse compact. The last thing we want is a sprawling building and parking. It's what we're trying to get rid of now...

-More plans for the Woodruff Rd Traffic Study should be available in the next 30 days.The State budget included $2 million for work on Salters Rd. Good move for the state government.

-The city hopes to take up the issue of another garage for Riverplace in the next 60 days. In addition, the city may do more than a garage for the massive downtown development along the banks of the Reedy River... What other things can the city possibly add to Riverplace besides the garage? Public Art? Be a tenant? or maybe it's referring to artist spaces? Ideas anyone??

Also, "another garage" would seem to refer to Phase III, since it's not simply expanding the same garage... Maybe we'll get that Riverplace tower sooner rather than later

-----------------------------------------

Nice article on a study that compared our downtown to other similar sized metros, including Charleston. The article says we're growing faster than Charleston and Chattanooga and roughly at the same pace as the other two cities in the comparison, Asheville and Greensboro. It cites that we should not expect any national chain retailers, like Gap, to come downtown any time soon, though regional chains are possible. It says that only 46% of downtown businesses are resturants, which surprised me. In the last four years, it says, 700 units have been built downtown, and they say we can support another 520-640 in the next ten years. Stats that we may or may not know:

-ranked #2 in SC in Metro size

-takes 6 minutes to drive from downtown to I-85

-25% population growth since 1990

-ranks 83rd in metro size nationwide

-150 establishments are downtown

Archived