Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

Some things to think about, not haveing the article in front of me. Your statistics show growth over a period of six years, what time period was the article looking at? Also was it looking actual growth or projected, anyone have Claritas' projections?

And didn't the MSA for Greenville change? didn't they recently spereate Spartanburg and Greenville again. Didn't it go from Greenville-Spartanburg to Greenville-Mauldin-Easley with Spartanburg as a seperate MSA?

The Claritas stuff shows more of the same, with Greenville projections coming in behind the others... even if you went with the old MSA designation. But, as I said before, Greenville's had the highest percentage growth from 1990 to 2000 if you ignore the smaller ones like Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, and Georgetown.

Census inventories are generally considered more accurate than projections or estimates. I do think that may be a legimate point, but I think both the marketing piece and the article should have provided a source.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^Ok Krazee I will let it rest. I see what you mean by the 2000 MSA being meaningless now unless it is put back together again by the next census. It really isnt that important anyway. The main thing is that all our 3 main metros are still growing quite fast.

TBA from this week's Greenville Journal:

-Negotiations for Project Skyline are being called "very complicated" right now as attorneys on several sides work out the details. While County Council passed the first read on an unspecified development agreement last week, there is no word on when actual details may begin to appear...

-Construction on the Carolina First/South Financial corporate headquarters is ahead of schedule. The outline for the conference center and the signature fountain have been put in place. Expect to see some steel going up on the site this fall...

-Greer continues to pop. There is talk of a second large shopping center coming to the Interstate 85 section...

-Signs for the new Fresh Market have appeared on Laurens Road. The grocery store will be the main tenant of a new shopping center on Pleasantburg and Antrim drives, but the developers want to get drivers heading down the main Laurens artery as well...

-The outline for road for the Wetherill Park development in the Dunean community are in place...

-Expect to hear some more about the funding for the proposed GreenLink project in the next few months. This is the proposed bus/train system that will connect downtown to Carolina First Center to Verdae...

-The Convention and Visitors Bureau will have a new web site by Sept. 1. The tourism board has been ramping up its efforts of late trying to lure projects such as the Bassmaster Classic and Wing Ding 2008...

-Work has started on redoing the frontage of the former Subway and Ragan's Market facades on Main Street...

-Groundbreaking for the first development inside Verdae will be held Aug. 6. The Cascades is a luxury retirement community located on the 1,000 acre project...

Sorry for the late reply everyone. I have been rather busy lately and haven't had much free time to devote to longer posts.

Here is a summary of the July 20, 2007 TBA with John Boyanoski column:

- Numerous Woodruff Road storefronts are vacant, which could mean that either the corridor grew too fast or more stores are needed...

- Information on a grand opening date for the new Costco should be announced soon as construction of the large store is nearly complete...

- The South Financial Group headquarters site along I-85 appears ready for infrastructure work...

- Salad Creations is open in Greenville with plans for 30 additional locations around the state...

- Since the state Legislators' repeal of alcohol limits per beverage, more than 300 new beers have come to the Upstate. This trend is expected to continue...

- Homewood Suites is moving along very well, just as plans for the massive McChesney development are being finalized...

TBA's from August 3, 2007:

The YWCA and Michelin are teaming up for a project called One Greenville. First event will be a motivational speaker on August 15......

Look for Luna Rosa to open soon in the old Sprouts location downtown.

At least four communities from across the country are planning trips to Greenville this Fall to see how Greenville revitalized itself........ (personal sidenote on this one that I heard sometime back and posted.....one of the cities (metros) is MUCH larger....it should be a shocker when revealed)

The History Museum of the Upstate is on track for late September opening in it's new building at Heritage Green.

A kick-off on August 27-31 for the cities new 20 year comprehensive plan.

Look for additional news soon on part of the Magnolia Park development.

A Richmond developer has purchased 13 acres on Buncombe Road in Greer for a 240 unit apartment complex.

Renovations on the Pickwick are moving forward and the soda fountain is nearing completion.

There's a few interesting tid-bits in the Journal this week.

Particularly these TBA's:

-More from the World of banking. There are two banks looking at moving downtown. One already has a small market presence, while the other would be new to the area and remain unannounced. They are moving into separate projects. One is unannounced while the other is already on the books and said to have a "big building". Not too many of those running around downtown... I wonder if the one that is on the books and said to have a big building is the Pinnacle?

-The Liberty Tap Room "soft opening" has done much better than expected. So much better that the owners already are talking about opening a second restaurant in Greenville. Not a tap room per se, but one of the group's other restaurant concepts... What are the other restaurant concepts of this group? Anyone know?

-The Staples is open and Publix is getting close at McBee Station. In addition, there is said to be a pent-up interest of people wanting to get into the apartments at the complex...

-The Liberty Tap Room "soft opening" has done much better than expected. So much better that the owners already are talking about opening a second restaurant in Greenville. Not a tap room per se, but one of the group's other restaurant concepts... What are the other restaurant concepts of this group? Anyone know?

http://www.tbonz.com/

I would especially like to see Kaminsky's move into this market!!

(sorry, I'm not very good at quoting previous posts)

There's a few interesting tid-bits in the Journal this week.

Particularly these TBA's:

-More from the World of banking. There are two banks looking at moving downtown. One already has a small market presence, while the other would be new to the area and remain unannounced. They are moving into separate projects. One is unannounced while the other is already on the books and said to have a "big building". Not too many of those running around downtown... I wonder if the one that is on the books and said to have a big building is the Pinnacle?

I know that the Bank of Florence is moving into the Greenville market.

http://www.tbonz.com/

I would especially like to see Kaminsky's move into this market!!

(sorry, I'm not very good at quoting previous posts)

I second the Kaminsky's idea! Cool concept, deserts and drinks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For 2007-09-07...

TBAs:

Wendy's opening on Mills Avenue

This is probably what is being built at the end of I-185, very near the entrance to the main campus of GHS. This will be a good addition considering there are currently only a few options on that side of the massive medical campus. Sure it isn't the best news, but it is better than McDonald's, in my opinion. :)

In this weeks Journal there is an article by John B titled Running down a dream (p 51)

In the article is the sentence -

"Rolls Royce and Audi are said to be looking at industrial sites in the region, while another major company that would have invested $2.4 billion has decided to go elsewhere."

Are you saying Project Skyline is off??? :cry:

Archived