Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBA's from Sept. 21:

- The 2008 Bassmaster Classic is expected to create the biggest single tourism economic impact in Greenville history when the event starts in February. More than 23 million is expected to be pumped into the local economy during the event. There is talk that if Greenville does a great job hosting the 2008 event, it would return in 2009......

- Upstate is still in the running for a Senior PGA Tour event. The one stumbling block is the hilly nature of the area.....apparently pro golfers aren't thrilled with the hills while walking an 18 hole course......

- John Moore, #2 man at the Chamber of Commerce is leaving. Heading to ZIPit wireless, a growing Greenville based technology company.

- The Chamber is hosting the annual Industry Appreciation Tent Party on Sept. 25......

- The walls are up for the new Fresh Market on Pleasantburg @ Laurens. Brickwork has also started.....

- Speculation continues on what the new owners will do with the Gateway Site. A couple of small buildings nearby recently sold......

TBA's from Sept. 21:

- Upstate is still in the running for a Senior PGA Tour event. The one stumbling block is the hilly nature of the area.....apparently pro golfers aren't thrilled with the hills while walking an 18 hole course......

No surprise since they seem to like the flatlands on the coast. Funny thing is that we've got many senior pros living in the Greenville area and designing several courses here.

TBA: (Reader's Digest version)

* Redevelopment of old Woolworth's building is getting closer to reality. TIC Properties has acquired the last piece of property and is expect to file a demolition permit soon. The company will have to go to DPC and show what will take the building's place.

* DPC will also soon get to see the final part of the second phase of Riverplace, which will take it to River St.

* City council has met behind closed doors about Verdae, Magnolia Park, and McChesney on Woodruff. Expect updates soon.

* Demo of City Hall Plaza should start in early November.

* Dead McBee Station trees will be replaced.

* Swamp Rabbit Trail between TR and DT Gville will be complete by the end of the year.

I was wondering if the Woolworth property had been final completely acquired. Really glad to see that it has. I also wonder if that includes the Young Men's Fashions building.

Lots of DEMO happening these days...

1) North Main and Stone gas station and adjoining house - complete

2) Trojan Labor building on Stone next to #1 - started

3) City Hall Plaza - starting in November, per TBA

4) Woolworth/Washington and Main - soon per TBA

Journal TBA's from October 5th:

- Redevelopment of Municipal Stadium on Mauldin Road is back on the table. The city had signed a deal to sell it, but it was never finalized. Three groups are looking at the site.....

- The city and Salvation Army are working on a development agreement to help construct Kroc Center downtown......

- You can get a look at the future of downtown planning on October 11 at the Hughes Main Library. This will be the concepts and ideas created earlier this year by Sasaki and Associates.....

- The Chamber will be hosting the third annual CEO summit next week. The event will be Thursday at the Greenville Jet Center.....

- The new McDonalds on Laurens Road should be open in a few weeks. The old building was demolished to be replaced with a more modern, high end brick version of the Golden Arches......

- A "blue ribbon" committee has been set up to look at how to fix transportation in Greenville.....

- The South Carolina Economic Development Association will be in Greenville next week for its annual summit. This will bring some of the state's top site selection consultants and business leaders under one roof......

• 2 weeks later...

Any TBA's from Fridays copy?

From October 12th:

- There are currently no plans for redevelopment of the property at the corner of Main and Stone in the North End. Buildings were demolished to make the properties more attractive to developers......

- Lots of scuttlebutt going around about redevelopment of the Pete Hollis Highway area. No official plans have been submitted to the city.....

- Demolition of the Woolworth's building won't happen until after the end of the year......

- A new web tool being created for Greenville developers that will show them ways to make projects more eco friendly without breaking the bank. An EPA grant is helping fund the project......

- Development continues to the south fo the city. A small shopping center / office park is nearing completion along Augusta Road south of the Southern Connector. The area recently saw a new Food Lion shopping center.....

- The 2nd Stonefest is happening this weekend. It started as a two day event last year and went to a four day event this year. Looking to make it a weeklong music event next year.....

- A major advertising campaign is being created to promote the Childrens Museum. Exepect to see many commercials as part of the promotion......

- Expect to see a new set of videos hitting the market that highlight the downtown renaissance. The project focuses on the growth and challenges of creating the right business climate.......

- There is a lot more pressure to expand the downtown trolley service. More than 2,000 people used the two minibuses last weekend on the loop from North End to West End Field...... :thumbsup:

Also in the Journal, a GREAT article about people moving to Greenville called "Bound for Greenville and a New Home". Article reports that many people are moving here simply for the quality of life and not just jobs (something we all knew.... ;) ). One family interviewed in the article simply moved here because they fell in love.....moved here without jobs. A really good read. Some good quotes from the article: "It's a real city that flies under the radar". One man was immediately "blown away" when seeing downtown Greenville after visiting several cities.....he "felt like a kid in a candy store walking around". One family upon seeing downtown said "We all went, WOW". Pick up a copy and read it.....excellent read.

Thanks for posting these, gsupstate! I like what I'm reading, especially about the trolley service. I wonder how GTA could get involved? I mean, we don't want to ruin a good thing :lol: , but perhaps GTA could get this successful aspect of service under their belts and build off of it...? They would need funding, which seems like something a downtown business association could pay for partially.

TBA's from October 19:

- Joseph-Beth Booksellers, a high-end niche bookstore, is looking at Greenville for its next expansion. The company likes Greenville, but the company is notoriously slow when choosing new locations. Nearest location is Charlotte.....

- The Michelin Man is up on Main Street, but with a temporary sign permit. The next DPC hearing is Nov. 1st.......

- Jos. A Bank is looking for a second Greenville location. The company is looking downtown.......

- CommunitySouth Bank is putting one of its branches in the former Wachovia Securities building at the corner of Laurens and Woodruff.....

- The stone retaining walls for the water feature at Carolina First campus are in place. Steel is going up as well......

- Land has been cleared for the NJJ Sports and Entertainment Complex off Mauldin Road.....

- Greenville Area Development Corp will hold its annual investor appreciation dinner on October 18 at the new Hubbell Lighting headquarters.......

- Immedion, the Upstates first dedicated data center, will have an open house on October 29th. The company is located in the new Global Business Park.......

Can someone explain to me why I received a copy of the Journel every week when I lived in Taylors, but now that I live downtown Greenville, I don't? I miss it.

The Journal's distribution is based on neighborhoods (usually nicer subdivisions/neighborhoods). If you're not in a distinct neighborhood now, that might explain it.

Can someone explain to me why I received a copy of the Journel every week when I lived in Taylors, but now that I live downtown Greenville, I don't? I miss it.

When I lived in Greer I always got it, but I have lived downtown for more than a year and have never gotten an issue at my house either. I am told you can call circulation and request your neighborhood be added.

When I lived in Greer I always got it, but I have lived downtown for more than a year and have never gotten an issue at my house either. I am told you can call circulation and request your neighborhood be added.

I'm a little confused why I have to pay for it in some locations and other locations it's free. Are the free places subsidized by the business or organization locations? Naturally I go to the free spots if I have a choice.

I've never paid for a copy of it one time.

I remember a few years ago it cost 50 cents at the rack of the 8 o'clock Superette near my office but it's been a long time since I paid for one. I haven't paid attention at the rack there in a while even though I am still working in the same building but for myself now

The Journals try to target the 20% of households that spend 80% of the dollars in the community. This is the pitch they throw at potential advertisers:

A targeted approach to distribution

When The Journal set out to target the households with the greatest spending power, the households that your business would consider the greatest value, traditional distribution systems were first analyzed:

This week's TBA:

• Demolition may begin on the old Woolworth's and the "bridge" building next to Piazza Bergamo before the end of the year.
  • The former O-Cha location is going to be replaced by Stellar Winebar. I'd think (hope, at least) that this should be a profitable enough business to pay for the rent on that large space.
  • Greenville Business Leaders are lobbying the South Carolina State Government to commence a "micro loan" program similar to the one offered in Minnesota where loans of less than $50K can be provided to help startup small businesses.
  • The Downtown Owners Association is looking to establish a non-profit that will take care of marketing downtown businesses as part of a larger effort to create some national buzz for downtown.
  • Clemson's Marden Center will be the site of a work force development conference hosted by WorkLink on November 2nd.
  • Nearly 8 acres of land near the Point which will be home to 200+ residential units has been annexed by Greenville.
  • Ranked among the "Best Places to Work in South Carolina" you will find local companies such as Elliot Davis, Edward Jones (I didn't think they were local), Rosenfeld Einstein, etc.
  • Developing an Implementation Plan is the next step in the new Downtown Master Plan. Several ideas have been kicked around already: a possible business improvement district would serve to finance the plan, for starters.

Also in the Journal this week (this will make many of you happy): The winds of change are blowing for the DPC. There's a lengthy article by John Boyanoski discussing the criticism of the DPC, which has outlived it's practical usefulness, overstepped its bounds, and just plain ticked some people off in recent years.

Also in the Journal this week (this will make many of you happy): The winds of change are blowing for the DPC. There's a lengthy article by John Boyanoski discussing the criticism of the DPC, which has outlived it's practical usefulness, overstepped its bounds, and just plain ticked some people off in recent years.

That's GREAT! I definitely think we need one such board, but the DPC needs an overhaul. I hope his critique will bring about change for the betterment of downtown. :yahoo:

Archived