Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

I'd also like to mention a good read in the Journal about post-Grrrowl hockey in Greenville. Though there's not a professional team in the area yet, The Pavilion continues to see much increase in the sport itself.

With increasing interest and the busy schedule at The Pavilion, it is ncessary to look into a second ice sports facility in the Greenville area. The proposed sports complexes in Greer and off Mauldin Road overlooked this idea. It will be revisisted again when the return of professional hockey surfaces again in early 2008.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^

I don't remember now...wasn't an ice rink also supposed to be part of the Kroc Center? If not, then one really should be included.

Originally the idea was for there to be a new ice rink off Woodruff Road as part of the minor league baseball stadium complex that Carl Scheer was proposing, where the Point may or may not be.

I have heard of possibilities of an ice rink being included somewhere off I 385, near Simpsonville. I don't think I've ever heard of one at the Kroc Center, probably not a good investment for them on their own.

If another minor league ice hockey team comes to Greenville, a new ice rink is absolutely essential. The Grrrowl were really hindered by the lack of a practice facility. Either they practiced, usually early in the morning, at the Pavilion, or hoped that the ice was available at the Bi-Lo Center.

I would expect a new minor league hockey team in the area to have a different business model than the Grrrowl, more than simply hoping that the Bi-Lo Center's finances are in better shape. A good example of what could happen is the Extreme Ice Center () in Indian Trail, NC, the practice facility of the Charlotte Checkers club (ECHL). That facility not only has two ice rinks, available for youth and adult league practice, but a fitness center and other amenities, like a conference center. I would expect that if professional hockey is tried again in Greenville, that whoever the ownership is would about have to have another stream of year long revenue with something like the facility in Charlotte; and hopefully the team would have access to luxury suite revenue as well in a Bi-Lo Center with more secure financial settings.

Good article from this past weeks Journal titled "Greenville Grows to Banking King". A story about the growth of banks in the area and the fact that Greenville County now leads the state in deposits and number of banking headquarters. Pick up a copy and check it out. Good read.

There has been discussion of an Ice Rink as part of the Marriott Project next to City Hall. Nothing recent though.

This is the outdoor ice rink idea downtown. It would open seasonally and its uses limited. Its size would be below regulation size for hockey. Greenville's demands warrant something greater.

This is the outdoor ice rink idea downtown. It would open seasonally and its uses limited. Its size would be below regulation size for hockey. Greenville's demands warrant something greater.

This ice rink is suppose to be in the space that will remain between the office wing of the new building and City Hall. It won't be very big. I agree that something larger is needed! If it's too small it will just discourage use.

This ice rink is suppose to be in the space that will remain between the office wing of the new building and City Hall. It won't be very big. I agree that something larger is needed! If it's too small it will just discourage use.

I gather that rink will be just for winter time public use and recreation. Several cities, like Charlotte, Raleigh and Atlanta have similar outdoor rinks for the colder months. Imagine like the famous scenes you see of New York during the holidays and folks skating at Rockefeller Center. Though what it would be used for the rest of the year, I have no idea.

And it's certainly not a place for hockey leagues or competitive figure skating, just a fun place.

I gather that rink will be just for winter time public use and recreation. Several cities, like Charlotte, Raleigh and Atlanta have similar outdoor rinks for the colder months. Imagine like the famous scenes you see of New York during the holidays and folks skating at Rockefeller Center. Though what it would be used for the rest of the year, I have no idea.

And it's certainly not a place for hockey leagues or competitive figure skating, just a fun place.

I understand the intended purpose and I can see similar venues, but there's not enough room there for a rink bigger than a swimming pool. What fun will it be to skate in tight circles with 5 other people. More room may be available than what I'm expecting, but I think downtown's popularity will crowd a small venue like this. I hope to be proven wrong on size.

A great place to hang out and drink hot spiced wine! :thumbsup:

There was an article in the Gville news a couple months back about two possible ice rinks DT. This was one of them. It would be a rink from Nov-Feb or March, and then a fountain the rest of the year. I don't think it is intended to be a Rockefelleresque thing, just something to add to the attraction and package that is DT. I can't remeber where the other possible location was, it may not have even said. perhaps the Woolworth proposal we have been hearing about for years now is a likely candidate. :whistling:

In any case, a rink or two DT would be a great addition in my opinion, small or not. Anyone ever hear a height mentioned for this hotel? Six stories I think, but feet?

I understand the intended purpose and I can see similar venues, but there's not enough room there for a rink bigger than a swimming pool. What fun will it be to skate in tight circles with 5 other people. More room may be available than what I'm expecting, but I think downtown's popularity will crowd a small venue like this. I hope to be proven wrong on size.

The public, outdoor, winter rinks in Charlotte and Atlanta are not very large at all. I image these would be similar.

A great place to hang out and drink hot spiced wine! :thumbsup:

Nothing says fun quite like ice, skates and alcohol! :whistling:

TBA's from the November 9th edition:

- Peoples National Bank will open its first Greenville branch on Nov. 13 in the redevelopment on Pleasantburg / Antrim Drive that also contains the new Fresh Market and other shops.....

- Mark Kent will give updates on Nov. 12 on both his Peacock Hotel and Spa project (construction update) as well as new partnerships and ventures with his business KENTWOOL, which is a manufacturing company that specializes in high-end wool products.....

- AdvanceSC will announce its 2007 grant recipients on Nov. 13 at the BMW Zentrum......

- North Main will be home to the region's first EarthCraft neighborhood. TRV Development is building The Elements......(construction thread here on UP for this project).

- Look for the release of Greenville Forward's first Vision 2025 report cards in the coming week......

- Expect to hear news about the Pinnacle on Main tower within the next few weeks.....

- The Upstate Transportation Summit will be held on Nov. 28 at the BMW Zentrum. The event will focus on issues such as busing, light rail and airports in the greater Greenville area.....

Also, an excellent article in the business section: "The Money Quest is On".....Governor wants to know where to spend economic development funds. One of the many excellent paragrapghs from the article:

"The Greenville location was chosen for a reason, said Sanford, who periodically fished into a well-used tote bag to pull out a notebook and a pen to make notes. The Upstate's Interstate 85 corridor has become the model for what South Carolina needs to do in terms of creating economic ventures."

Thats a good update and good to know that the Governor is finally taking notice of the I-85 corridor. That is what we definetly need. I will go out on a limb and say it will become the most important stretch of highway in the state eventually if it is not already.

I'm most curious about what we will hear concerning The Pinnacle on Main. :dontknow: Will it be good news and immediate construction, or will they simply say it is dead. :dontknow:

I wonder how formal this 'news' will be made? If it's along the lines of a press conference or a press release then I would think it'd be very positive news (taller? large tenant landed? immediate construction?). One would think that if it's going to be announced that the project is dead, they could just go ahead and say so. Why hold out?

I'm most curious about what we will hear concerning The Pinnacle on Main. :dontknow: Will it be good news and immediate construction, or will they simply say it is dead. :dontknow:

Let me take a stab at this one:

"We're getting really close. Making lots of progress. Putting together a project like this takes lots of time. Lots of moving parts. Just waiting for a few more pieces to fall into place. Construction will start soon."

-The Boy Who Cried Pinnacle

'TBA with John Boyanoski' from the November 16, 2007 issue of Greenville Journal:

Greenville leaders want to bring Atlanta-based technology companies to the area. The plan is still in the development stage, but the concept is to seek small companies looking to expand...

The General Services Administration is still looking at several sites downtown for a new federal courthouse, and hopes to hold a public hearing soon to gauge input. One of the leading sites is a parking lot across East North Street from the county courthouse...

City Council members met behind closed doors this week to discuss economic development along the Pete Hollis Highway...

The public announcement for the redevelopment of the former Woolworth's building at the corner of Main Street and Washington Street likely will be delayed until after January when demolition can begin. The city wants retail...

The Greenville Chamber of Commerce is accepting nominations for its annual awards ceremony to be held in January. Walter Edgar, a state historian, will be the guest speaker...

Could there be a new tallest building in Greenville? That is the story attached to the redevelopment of the former Greenville Memorial Auditorium site. The developers are saying the building is still a go to have hotels, condos and a restaurant...

Expect to hear results soon from the Greenville Convention and Visitors Bureau weekend getaway plan. The tourism board has been bringing people from the Atlanta area to spend the weekend in Greenville and then have them rate the area's hospitality efforts. The CVB has also been talking to site consultants about building the "Go Center," which will be a major part of the region's tourism draw...

Thanks Skyliner!

If I could make a recomendation to the Journal...can we stop hearing about the Woolworth site every other week? There has been NOTHING NEW, other than piecing together parcels, for almost two years! And the date always get pushed back... Let us know when the tenants have been named and the time of the grand opening.

I think we've all learned to get excited about the "new tallest," Pinnacle, Tower at F&B, etc. etc. ONLY after the concrete has been poured. More than half of these projects haven't even come to fruition but we always hear about closed-door meetings regarding them. When can we expect the riddon-cutting ceremonies?

It is very discouraging especially if your G-man. lol. Just had to throw that one in there. I know he will see this cause he cant stay away from this place. Anyway, yes I would rather the news just hold off especially if its going to be for a very long time.

Archived