Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

Thanks Skyliner!

If I could make a recomendation to the Journal...can we stop hearing about the Woolworth site every other week? There has been NOTHING NEW, other than piecing together parcels, for almost two years! And the date always get pushed back... Let us know when the tenants have been named and the time of the grand opening.

I think we've all learned to get excited about the "new tallest," Pinnacle, Tower at F&B, etc. etc. ONLY after the concrete has been poured. More than half of these projects haven't even come to fruition but we always hear about closed-door meetings regarding them. When can we expect the riddon-cutting ceremonies?

Yea, I kinda feel the same way you do, but with all due respect, this is the "TBA" section of the Journal and is simply reporting the "word on the street" type stuff of rumor. If the tenants have been named, the concrete poured, and the grand opening dates announced for these things, I'd say they were more than mere rumors, wouldn't you?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Woolworth site has been the focus of "word on the street" for years...literally, yet we don't know much more than we did two years ago.

This was reported a few weeks ago:

TBA's from the November 9th edition:

- Peoples National Bank will open its first Greenville branch on Nov. 13 in the redevelopment on Pleasantburg / Antrim Drive that also contains the new Fresh Market and other shops.....

Concrete had already been pured in this case so this was obviously more than rumor, right?, yet still posted. And several weeks before that we heard about the grand openings, including dates, of both Costco and McBee Station in the Journal. I appreciate knowing the actual date of openings, projects, etc. rather than rehashing something we know little about.

Honestly, I've gotten better TBA information lately from gsupstate and Skyliner...Maybe JB should read their posts...

The Woolworth site has been the focus of "word on the street" for years...literally, yet we don't know much more than we did two years ago.

The last I heard on the Woolworth site is that all of the various ownership issues have finally been worked out and that demolition was originally set to begin before the end of the year; however, due to a few factors (including, I'm sure, the St. Francis Holiday Village), it's being pushed back until after the first of the year. That's all fine and good, but it'd be nice to know what's going to be built there before they start tearing the block down. All we need is another fence surrounding a prime development parcel with no plan in place for what's to be developed.

'TBA with John Boyanoski' from the November 23, 2007 issue of Greenville Journal:

Greenville will host a major conference in June that will attract more than 1,000 visitors. The conference is about transforming local governments, and is hosted by the Alliance for Innovation. The event will be held at the Carolina First Center, and hundreds of downtown hotel rooms have been booked...

More annexation could be on the way along Woodruff Road. The City is eyeing properties near the Magnolia Park development that signed water covenant agreements in the past, but for various reasons have not annexed...

Work on the Western Carolina Regional Sewer Authority's new corporate headquarters is under way on Mauldin Road...

The new West End restaurant, Pomegranate, is expected to open any day now. It will be the first downtown restaurant to specialize in Iranian cuisine...

Planning continues on the Bon Secours St. Francis Hospital development at the Millennium Campus off of Laurens Road...

The City is Working on its federal budget wish list. High on the list is money for the Meadowbrook/Cleveland Park West project as well as putting more curves in the Reedy River downtown. The City also wants funds for a proposed rapid transit system to connect downtown to the Clemson automotive research park...

Several City Council members went to Ottawa last week where they studied the Canadian city's transit system. There is also some hope of economic development agreements between the City and Canadian businesses...

A dentist's office is coming to Main Street in Greenville. It will be located near the Coffee Street intersection. No word yet on when it will open...

A few other very nice articles on the growing local start-up companies and entrepreneurs, plus a gathering of Southeastern economic leaders at CU-ICAR this week in hopes that a stronger network structure can help solve business and environmental problems while providing better competition for jobs often lost to overseas companies.

A brief quote from that article which I found interesting:

Greenville Mayor Knox White said this is one of the most interesting groups to come to Greenville in a while because of the amount of research sites the partnership represents such as the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee.

'TBA with John Boyanoski' from the November 23, 2007 issue of Greenville Journal:

Planning continues on the Bon Secours St. Francis Hospital development at the Millennium Campus off of Laurens Road...

I'm curious to see the plans / renderings for this development. This has the potential to be a mid to high rise for the 85 / Laurens area.

I'm curious to see the plans / renderings for this development. This has the potential to be a mid to high rise for the 85 / Laurens area.

I'm very intrigued by this too. What's the exact location? I remember it being off of Laurens, but I don't remember ever knowing for sure where in the Millennium Campus. Is it past Fair Forest Way toward Mauldin?

I'm very intrigued by this too. What's the exact location? I remember it being off of Laurens, but I don't remember ever knowing for sure where in the Millennium Campus. Is it past Fair Forest Way toward Mauldin?

The Millennium Campus more or less wraps around CU-ICAR. The Hubbell Lighting HQ is part of the Millennium Campus. At one time, there was a site plan on the Millennium Campus web site, but that site appears to be under renovation.

Do you know which part of the campus will be the hospital?

The sites are fairly limited, so I *believe* it will be here (don't hold me to this):

StFrancis.jpg

If not here, then possibly on the site where the old mobile home sits (M010060100207) or the one to the left of it (M010060100208). These are, I believe, the only 3 Millennium Campus sites remaining. I don't recall if the site plan showed its extent beyond this area, but it seems like it may have also crossed Laurens? Anyone recall?

As I mentioned in the Millennium Campus thread, one of these sites (M010060100208) is evidently being developed by Champ Covington and Jeff Tutman as "Green 20" and boasts a High Rise Corporate HQ and a hotel with I-85 frontage along with other mixed-use buildings. If anybody has any details about that, please see the Millennium Campus thread and respond there.

The site where the Hubbell Lighting HQ is located is, of course, on M010060100209. The following sites are part of CU-ICAR, I believe: M010060100205, M010060100212, M010060100213, and M010030100906. And 0547010101644 is where the Carolina First/South Financial Corp. HQ is being built.

As I mentioned in the Millennium Campus thread, one of these sites (M010060100208) is evidently being developed by Champ Covington and Jeff Tutman as "Green 20" and boasts a High Rise Corporate HQ and a hotel with I-85 frontage along with other mixed-use buildings. If anybody has any details about that, please see the Millennium Campus thread and respond there.

I believe they are using the prime location of that property to market its maximum potential and that details have yet to be worked out until a buyer is lined up. I am glad to see them going for corporate headquarters. That is one vital component Greenville certainly needs to continue luring for the success of its future. I-85 is proving to be the magnet that should be.

Doesn't the Millennium campus extend across I-85 along Laurens rd that is where I thought it would be located.Frontage at I-85 and Laurens for maximum exposure. If I remember corectly didn't the hospital buy 100 acres or something like that.

Could this be the spot? Laurens East and Laurens West...developments within Millenium Campus. Both signs are up on Laurens Road, on the side opposite the main CU-ICAR / Millenium Campus. Laurens East reads "Medical".

DSC03625.jpg

DSC03624.jpg

TBA's from November 29th:

- Oobe corporate headquarters will move from East North Street to the Old Cotton Warehouse on Rhett Street in West End in the next few months......

- Land has been cleared for The Woodlands at Furman University, a 200 unit retirement community.....

- Look to hear more about 200,000 in Federal Funds being made available for community centers in Greenville.....

- Framing is up for several structures / buildings near Hollingsworth Legacy Park in Verdae......

- Public infrastructure such as restrooms and a water feature, that will be part of the development at the corner of Main and Broad, could cost 500,000. Look for demolition to start on this project sometime after December 10.......

- The city is working on a development agreement with TIC Properties for the Woolworth's site......

I would assume that Oobe is moving due to expansion? Anyone know? Nonetheless they picked a great building! I love the Old Cotton Warehouse.

It's good to hear something about both the corners of Main and Broad, as well as Woolworth's at Washington and Main. It's reassuring to know that things are still moving forward despite a lack of visual clues.

---------

By the way, thanks gsupstate for all the updates! It's much appreciated by the out-of-towners!

I would assume that Oobe is moving due to expansion? Anyone know? Nonetheless they picked a great building! I love the Old Cotton Warehouse.

Pretty sure it is expansion. :thumbsup: Beside's the sports apparel / gear, they do uniforms for several companies (Chick-Fil-A uniforms), and have some fairly major accounts.

TBA's from December 7, 2007:

- Expect to hear an announcement this week about 50 jobs being added by Calder Brothers Corporation.....

- Greenville's challenge of the circuit court ruling on the smoking ban should be heard by the State Supreme Court in January.....

- Clearing has started on the greenway extending south from Cleveland Park to Greenville Tech.......

- Gadgetfest to be held on Dec. 12 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. Sponsored by the Greenville Spartanburg Anderson Technology Council.....

- Work continues on Plan-It Greenville with redevleopment and in-fill housing high on the priority list......

- There is talk of a second road connecting Woodruff and Laurens. It would run parallel to Carolina Point Parkway.....

- Expect to hear some housing announcements coming for the Haynie-Sirrine neighborhood in the next few months......

- A coffee shop is coming to Moonville. Will be part of the new Food Lion shopping center complex...

TBAs for December 14, 2007:

Outdoors superstore REI is said to be interested in several sites in Greenville County. The company will locate here regardless of Bass Pro Shop's plans for a store on Highway 14.

A new restaurant is opening on the West End that sells "carnival" food. That's candy, hot dogs, hambiurgers and the like. It will be geared toward kids. Called Munchies, it should open in late January on Main Street about a block up from Falls Park.

City Council should start talking in January about several ways to fund Meadowbrook Park, which will straddle the Reedy River on the city's west side. On of the issues is relocating the city Public Works facility.

Expect to see some changes coming to the Greenville Transit Authority's transfer station downtown. Business and community leaders want to see the terminal look more inviting and not so dark.

Nominations are being accepted for the Silver Crescent Awards, which are given to companies excelling in manufacturing. There are more than 5.000 manufactures in South Carolina. The winners will be announced in May.

The Greenville Chamber of Commercte will hold its annual legislative delegation breakfast on Jan. 4 at the Westin Poinsett.

Don't expect to see demolition of the City Hall plaza until sometime in January. The property as the corner of Broad and Main streets is scheduled to become a Marriott Hotel.

While it may not come up for awhile, the U.S. Postal Service is looking for a new main office in downtown Greenville. Many feel the current building does not meet the Postal Service's needs.

Archived