Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

My educated guess is Magnolia Park Town Center. If not there, I would go with Riverplace.

I think a Riverplace location is a greater positive. Locating along a river stimulates outdoor sports and recreation, REI's limited focus. It gives downtown a major national retailer that would continue to bring business and people in.

Magnolia Park already has The Sports Authority to work with.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My initial rsponse to a restaurant named Munchies specializing in "carnival food" was a combination of literally lol'ing with a simutaneous "EWWWWW". :sick:

Having grown up in the restaurant biz. and creating varous concepts, "carnival food" ranks slightly above a restaurant that features airline food and a step below one that would offer prison fare. What an awful concept.

Outdoors superstore REI is said to be interested in several sites in Greenville County. The company will locate here regardless of Bass Pro Shop's plans for a store on Highway 14.

Magnolia Park will feature will an upscale sports store (in addition to Sports Authority). Sports Authority will remain in the big box end, and an upscale brand will be featured in the main village part of Magnolia.

I would think REI will locate on Woodruff Rd somewhere, but downtown would be awesome. But outside of major cities you don't see urban REI's, which is why I would go with Woodruff Rd.

Another possibility that comes to mind is the new lifestyle center in Greer. Being more central between Greenville and Spartanburg also has advantages.

Magnolia Park will feature will an upscale sports store (in addition to Sports Authority). Sports Authority will remain in the big box end, and an upscale brand will be featured in the main village part of Magnolia.

I heard a rumor REI was already having site work done in the area....dont be surprised if im right.

Is it best to assume site work is nearing completion at Magnolia Park and REI still plans a store there?

Is it best to assume site work is nearing completion at Magnolia Park and REI still plans a store there?

I know that Magnolia will have an upscale "outdoor" store in the village, in addition to the Sports Authority in the big box area. I don't know that it is REI.....several companies were/are being courted. There shouldn't be any site work happening at the moment at Magnolia. REI must have signed somewhere else, though I don't know where that somewhere else could be. Erm, any more info?

TBA's for December 21st edition:

- The Chamber of Commerce is trying to decide which cities Greenville should aspire to be like / get ideas from, concerning how to grow in a more orderly fashion. For almost two decades, Chattanooga was on the list, but now it looks like Raleigh, Charlotte and Austin are on the list.

- Look for info soon on the burgeoning angel investor network in the Upstate. The idea to hook up growing businesses with seed capital. Look for tangible results soon.

- A new restaurant is coming to Stone Avenue near the intersection with East North. (Site of the former Clock).

- An update on the status of the Upstate's manufacturing base will be out in the next few weeks.

- A project that will get more exposure in 2008 is a talent recruitment drive aimed at getting a better work force in Greenville.

- Camille's Sidewalk Cafe is set to open inside the Bank of America building downtown.

- Expect to see an economic scorecard coming out in late Feb or early March on how well Greenville is prospering. One of the key indicators will be per capita income, which rose steadily in the 90's, but has fallen below the national average in the last five years.

- The city is working on a definitive agreement to put more power lines underground in 2008.

TBA's for December 21st edition:

- A project that will get more exposure in 2008 is a talent recruitment drive aimed at getting a better work force in Greenville.

This one confuses me greatly.

As someone in the tech industry who is starting to sort of kind of feel around to see what is out there, there are seemingly no jobs for Senior/Lead Java Dev/Business Analysts in this area. Anyone know what kind or "talent" they are looking to recruit?

there are seemingly no jobs for Senior/Lead Java Dev/Business Analysts in this area.

(puzzled look) I took a quick look at the current job postings for companies in the area. To name just a few that I found, GE, MetLife and UnitedHealth Group all have open positions posted looking for those skills combined with others. All three of those particular companies have distributed work forces, so just because a position says one city/state doesn't mean they won't hire a qualified candidate in another. I stopped looking after I found those, but there are other companies around with the same philosophy. It's all about who you know where. Find people you know who work at other companies, get them to see what's listed internally that might be a good fit, and get a referral.

(puzzled look) I took a quick look at the current job postings for companies in the area. To name just a few that I found, GE, MetLife and UnitedHealth Group all have open positions posted looking for those skills combined with others. All three of those particular companies have distributed work forces, so just because a position says one city/state doesn't mean they won't hire a qualified candidate in another. I stopped looking after I found those, but there are other companies around with the same philosophy. It's all about who you know where. Find people you know who work at other companies, get them to see what's listed internally that might be a good fit, and get a referral.

Not to derail the thread any further but where did you find those? I am fully aware of what's at UHG, but have not seen anything that fits my skills (java not MS not .net) at GE. I know some folks at MetLife but I have no desire to go there. My other key issue is finding people out and about - reason being is that I work for a rather large corporation right now in a Work From Home situation. Therefore I don't know many people in this area in the tech fields though I have lived in this area all my life. I have a core group of friends that is on the "smaller" side and am using Linked In.

On that note, perhaps I should have been more specific in what I'm looking for. I have worked at everything from small to gigantic. I'm looking for that good in the middle kind of place.

Last comments I'll make on it and sorry for the derailing.

I still find it interesting that they are going to "recruit talent" for Greenville - yet there really doesn't appear to be a glut of jobs available. That's why I asked specifically about what type of people they are looking to bring in. For instance RTP is a "tech" rich area. Charlotte a "banking" rich area. What is Greenville's nice for professionals?

Not to derail the thread any further but where did you find those? I am fully aware of what's at UHG, but have not seen anything that fits my skills (java not MS not .net) at GE. I know some folks at MetLife but I have no desire to go there. My other key issue is finding people out and about - reason being is that I work for a rather large corporation right now in a Work From Home situation. Therefore I don't know many people in this area in the tech fields though I have lived in this area all my life. I have a core group of friends that is on the "smaller" side and am using Linked In.

Are you aware of GSATC? A large local tech networking group. They have a lot of sub groups and I think

http://www.gsatc.org

Thanks for posting this week's TBAs, gsupstate! :thumbsup:

I found this one to be quite interesting:

- The Chamber of Commerce is trying to decide which cities Greenville should aspire to be like / get ideas from, concerning how to grow in a more orderly fashion. For almost two decades, Chattanooga was on the list, but now it looks like Raleigh, Charlotte and Austin are on the list.

I am glad to see that we are not using Chattanooga as a city to be like, especially since I consider them to be more of a peer city (although we should still learn from the things they have done well). I think Austin, Charlotte, and Raleigh have each created niches in the business world and really exploited them when it comes to better jobs, increased development, growth, better notoriety, etc. I see Greenville doing something similar with the automotive industry. We already have Michelin and BMW, and CU-ICAR will help a lot. Hopefully we can soon add Audi/VW to the mix. ;)

I am glad to see that we are not using Chattanooga as a city to be like, especially since I consider them to be more of a peer city (although we should still learn from the things they have done well). I think Austin, Charlotte, and Raleigh have each created niches in the business world and really exploited them when it comes to better jobs, increased development, growth, better notoriety, etc. I see Greenville doing something similar with the automotive industry. We already have Michelin and BMW, and CU-ICAR will help a lot. Hopefully we can soon add Audi/VW to the mix. ;)

I liked that quote as well. And I think Gville is definitely at a spot where it can and should look to the next level. And another thing those cities have in common is a much more accessible airport. The growth of GSP is going to be key as the area continues to grow.

Those choices are definitely interesting. I don't know too much about Austin, but I don't see Charlotte and Raleigh as really having set the standard for orderly growth. However, I will say that I think that Charlotte is doing better than some others, with light rail, the revitalization (in some cases, that means gentrification) of the in-town neighborhoods, and all of the construction going on in Uptown (that is truly being built in an urban fashion). From what I've seen, it appears as though Raleigh is really just getting a handle on its growth as it hasn't been a "boom town" for long (roughly the past 10-15 years) and there doesn't appear to be any progress in terms of transit alternatives. While RTP has truly been a blessing for them, it has also given rise to sprawl that probably wouldn't otherwise have happened. Greenville has the advantage of developing ICAR in the era of smart growth and "going green" and so is able to do better in terms of mitigating any resulting sprawl.

So with that said, my vote is for Charlotte.

I agree with what you are saying, krazee. I think Greenville leaders are looking for "city role models" in terms of economic development more than urban development.

Each of the three cities have some good elements Greenville can emulate, while also providing some good lessons in how not to do things. Charlotte is a nice city, with some nice developments. It feels very clean and progressive to me. It also has sacrificed urbanity in some key areas downtown (e.g., Bank of America plaza). I do not have any direct experience with Raleigh or Austin, but I do know that Raleigh tends to be a slightly larger version of Greenville when it comes to suburban office growth. RTP has been great for their population but has caused their downtown business climate to suffer somewhat. I think Greenville's economic developments along I-85 have had a similar effect. In most cases, however, I would gladly accept these developments in non-downtown locations before I would risk losing them altogether. I think most other cities would do exactly as Greenville has.

Austin, like Charlotte and Raleigh, has capitalized on a niche business market and exploited it. Population growth, developments, and increased status among cities has resulted. I think Greenville is on track to do the exact same thing when it comes to the automotive industry, which is precisely why I think Greenville leaders have targeted those three cities to emulate. :thumbsup:

Archived