Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

I agree with what you are saying, krazee. I think Greenville leaders are looking for "city role models" in terms of economic development more than urban development.

The way it was worded, it sounded like urban development was the focus. However, if the focus is indeed on economic development, I do agree that the three cities mentioned are good ones.

In most cases, however, I would gladly accept these developments in non-downtown locations before I would risk losing them altogether. I think most other cities would do exactly as Greenville has.

Very true. I think Greenville's set-up with ICAR and Millenium Campus is better than Raleigh-Durham's with RTP.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This week's Journal contents:

TBA's:

-Look for a City Council vote in the coming weeks on the Greenville Transit Authority's future. The city is expected to vote on taking over the day-to-day operations of the system. They believe that will lead to a stronger system...

-A name change could be coming for Millennium Boulevard that runs through the CU-ICAR campus...

-Expect to see a public meeting soon on a new design plan for Fairforest Way, which runs along the south side of the city...

-There are still some parcels near the Point development at Interstate 85 and Woodruff Road that have not been annexed by the city. Look for some annexations in 2008...

-The new martini and cigar bar located next to Halfway to Habana on Main Street is expected to open in March. A wood and glass front has recently been completed...

-Look for the developers of the former Woolworth's to add a partner. Once that is done, everyone may finally see what could be built on the site, which encompasses almost an entire downtown block...

-Land has been cleared for the Woodlands at Furman University. The more than 200-unit retirement community is located on the north end of campus and will be open by early 2009...

-Work on the Western Carolina Regional Sewer Authority's new corporate headquarters is underway on Mauldin Road...

--------

Also, one of the real estate ads says that the West End Brownstones on Rhett Street have sold 3 now and will be ready Spring 2008. Is work on the site that far along? I haven't been by the site lately. Nonetheless, it's good to see that another is sold (last I heard only 2 had sold).

--------

Anyone have ideas on what Millennium Boulevard's name may be changed to? Hollingsworth? Knox White? Jim Barker? :dontknow:

I'm really excited about seeing the plans for the Woolworth site development. I hope they make their partner addition soon and share their plans for the site SOON! We've waited long enough!

Thanks for posting this week's TBAs, GvilleSC. I, too, hope to hear some more in the coming months about the Woolworth's site. We have all waited so long for that project, to the point that I hope we are not disappointed. Surely with the effort that has gone into obtaining all of those individual buildings from different owners, the developer will want something great there. And when you think about it, the city deserves something dynamic there. :)

-Expect to see a public meeting soon on a new design plan for Fairforest Way, which runs along the south side of the city...

Thanks for posting the TBA's GvilleSC. This is great to see about Fairforest. :thumbsup: Being a four lane extension of the whole Point/ICAR/Millenium area, Fairforest would seem ripe for development. I look forward to this road receiving a makeover and sharing in the I-85 boom.

Thanks for posting the TBA's GvilleSC. This is great to see about Fairforest. :thumbsup: Being a four lane extension of the whole Point/ICAR/Millenium area, Fairforest would seem ripe for development. I look forward to this road receiving a makeover and sharing in the I-85 boom.

No problem guys. It's great to be able to be actively involved on here again.

I too am interested to see these plans for Fairforest. I remember the Journal reporting that the stretch from Ridge Road to Laurens Rd would be streetscaped to link the two already done portions. Fairforest is a great street with the trees down the center, though the roots make it a little bumpy in some places. JL Mann High School was just recently completed here and will start classes in January, and a developer is suppose to be building an apartment complex on the corridor as well, which the city annexed I believe. With the Millennium campus touching and occupying some of the property toward Laurens Rd, and the Global Trade Park situated on Fairforest in addition to the current industries, it will for sure be interesting to see how it all plays out....

H2H will occupy the "new martini bar and cigar lounge." This should have been specified.

The WCRSA's new corporate headquarters has been under construction for a long time now.

The Fairforest Way design plans have been available online for many months now.

Perhaps the new Millennium Boulevard name will become "Rosen Boulevard." :lol:

Reading about Fairforest Way receiving major improvements, Millenium Boulevard undergoing a name change, and knowing Carolina Point Parkway/Market Point Drive will be be complete to Old Sulphur Springs Road, it would be fitting to name the entire corridor one name. Hollingsworth Parkway is fitting.

A street with only one name its entire length? That's crazy talk! We prefer to have our roads with three names like Haywood, Howell and Edwards. Sometimes we even change the names of one section of the road to another! Main/Pendleton, Haywood/Howell. :lol:

A street with only one name its entire length? That's crazy talk! We prefer to have our roads with three names like Haywood, Howell and Edwards. Sometimes we even change the names of one section of the road to another! Main/Pendleton, Haywood/Howell. :lol:

So true. My favorite is Park Ave. - E. North St. - Old Spartanburg Rd. - Brushy Creek Rd. - Cannon Ave. (or Hammett Bridge Road ... depending on whether or not you made the right turn from Old Spartanburg Road onto Old Spartanburg Road :silly: )

Bet most of you didn't know you could get from downtown Greenville to downtown Greer without making a turn.

So true you guys.

I personally like the name changes of 276. From Stone Avenue (downtown) - Laurens Rd- Main Street (Mauldin) - Laurens Rd - Main Street (Simpsonville) ...

I also like the River Street/Richardson Street/I can't remember the third section. I like this one because it's only one name for no more than 4 blocks at a time. CRAZY!

So true you guys.

I personally like the name changes of 276. From Stone Avenue (downtown) - Laurens Rd- Main Street (Mauldin) - Laurens Rd - Main Street (Simpsonville) ...

I also like the River Street/Richardson Street/I can't remember the third section. I like this one because it's only one name for no more than 4 blocks at a time. CRAZY!

I think it is Townes. haha :lol:

And don't forget... Edwards becomes Edwards Mill Road after it crosses Wade Hampton. That's four different names in only a couple miles.

If you really want to get technical about it, Edwards makes a right hand turn into Botany Woods. And if you continue on, it becomes N Pleasantburg Dr (you know where Pleasantburg makes a left hand turn at Bob Jones!) Right before it hits Poinsett Hwy, it becomes State Park Rd for about a block at Cherrydale. Then after crossing Poinsett Hwy, it becomes W Blue Ridge Dr, which thankfully it remains until ending at Hwy 124.

January 4th's TBA's:

-Taylors-based Fatz Cafe is planning to expand into a fifth state in 2008. Restaurants in Virginia will be among 7 set to open next year: Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina already have units...

-Demolition of the former City Hall plaza is expected to start some time this month, but there is no set date. In addition, the developers are said to have gotten a good bid on the construction of the Marriott Hotel on the site...

-The framing is up for a new shopping center located on Pleasantburg Drive where Jeff Lynch used to be. This area near the intersection of Pleasantburg and East North Street will see some major overhauls in the next few years...

-The city has targeted the Green Avenue area for major redevelopment, and there has been some in-fill housing as well as some city-sponsored projects. The new push is to clean up vacant lots to draw more development...

-The steel supports for the first two buildings of the Carolina First corporate offices are visible from Interstate 85. Expect work to ramp up in the next few months...

-The city of Greenville will be talking to its federal lobbyists in early February. Some of the usual topics will be high on the list. That includes rapid transit, Salters Road expansion and Meadowbrook Park. But a new one will be the city helping Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport's efforts to land a low-cost carrier. The airport has been looking for federal funds to help snare a cheaper airline...

• 3 weeks later...

you know, I haven't actually thought about it, but downtown really lacks a drug store within a walking range (Rite Aid on N Main I'm excluding).

As an Eckerd fan, I am still having trouble accepting the fact that they have been bought out and replaced by Rite Aid. Oh well, that just means I'm a Walgreens guy now. ;)

I think a drugstore downtown would do well, especially a 24-hour one. I am hoping that the "major retail announcement" for West Washington Street is more along the lines of a national bookstore like Borders. :)

As an Eckerd fan, I am still having trouble accepting the fact that they have been bought out and replaced by Rite Aid. Oh well, that just means I'm a Walgreens guy now. ;)

I think a drugstore downtown would do well, especially a 24-hour one. I am hoping that the "major retail announcement" for West Washington Street is more along the lines of a national bookstore like Borders. :)

A national bookstore like Borders would be a MAJOR step for downtown. I hope that's it. A department store of some type would be nice, if a bookstore is not included.

I agree. I always saw Eckerd as a "real" drug store and Rite Aid as a cheap knock off. Maybe it's the way the stores were kept up.

The TBA in this week's Greenville Journal speaks of a "major retail announcement" coming for West Washington Street. I suspect this is part of the Washington & Main Re-Development. Could this be Borders? Could it be CVS or Walgreens? Any rumors/ideas/thoughts?

This is the first time in a long time that TBA of the Journal beat the UP to a scoop!

If the retail announcement is about the Washington & Main re-Development site would they announce a major retail tenant without discussing the complete project?

There does not seem to be another site on West Washington for a major retail tenant near main street.

Would a major chain like target dare to build a store near the Post office ( A lot of under used land in the area) :dontknow:

I hope what John considers a "major retail announcement" is as grand as we do. :shades:

This is the first time in a long time that TBA of the Journal beat the UP to a scoop!

If the retail announcement is about the Washington & Main re-Development site would they announce a major retail tenant without discussing the complete project?

There does not seem to be another site on West Washington for a major retail tenant near main street.

Would a major chain like target dare to build a store near the Post office ( A lot of under used land in the area) :dontknow:

I hope what John considers a "major retail announcement" is as grand as we do. :shades:

I'd bet on a book store or a pharmacy, myself, and I do strongly suspect this is the Main & Washington re-development site. I wouldn't expect anything along the lines of a Target...I'd hope against it, in fact.

I'd bet on a book store or a pharmacy, myself, and I do strongly suspect this is the Main & Washington re-development site. I wouldn't expect anything along the lines of a Target...I'd hope against it, in fact.

I'd think a book store would be more fitting for Main Street at that location. If it's going to be a place that sells a little bit of everything it should be a Borders. The only one I've been to recently is in Charlotte and it has a nice two story layout that would fit well in that location. If it's more of a local store it needs to concentrate on a niche. One mistake Bentley's and amazingly the still open Open Books is they are not niche or concentrate on their niches enough. The Open Book is great of showcasing local authors but other part of their store are joke. The tech and business sections might as well not exist. Bentley's has a nice section for rare books and many of the rare book and documents had a local connection. They should have concentrated more on the high end antique book concept instead of the "flea market" offerings that one can more easily get at Amazon, Ebay, yard sales or flea markets.

I think the major thing that keeps Books-A-Million in business in they have enough inventory to work the "long tail" in a brick and morter setting combined with holiday or special event sales.

Your TBAs for 2008/01/25...

With the former Greenville Memorial Auditorium site sold, the city will begin working on a development agrrement to add more streetscaping to the area. One possibility is a covered walkway spanning the sunken road next to the site. Developers have plans for a hotel, a restaurtant, a parking garage and condos. Expect to see more details in 30 days.

The city will spend $135,000 on improvements along East North Street as part of the development of the Palmetto Band headquarters. The city will do things such as plant trees and add benched to make the street more inviting to walkers. Making the downtown's side streets more pedestrian-friendly has been a major goal the past few years.

Expect to see demolition of the bridge over Bergamo Plaza sometime in the first few months of 2008.

The BassMaster Classic will get $20,000 from the city's contingency fund. Organizers are in a mad rush to get the fishing tournament to decide whether to come back in 2009. Some of the world's top anglers will come to the Upstate next month for the event that has been dubbed the World Series of bass fishing.

Land underneath the Church Street bridge has been rezoned for a commercial building. Expec to se plans for a new multistory building on the site soon.

Demolition has started on the former City Hall plaza at the corner of Broad and Main streets. The work should take several months.

Work is moving fast on the Hamptons, a former church-turned-condo project near downtown.

Archived