Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your TBAs for 2008/01/25...

With the former Greenville Memorial Auditorium site sold, the city will begin working on a development agrrement to add more streetscaping to the area. One possibility is a covered walkway spanning the sunken road next to the site. Developers have plans for a hotel, a restaurtant, a parking garage and condos. Expect to see more details in 30 days.

The city will spend $135,000 on improvements along East North Street as part of the development of the Palmetto Band headquarters. The city will do things such as plant trees and add benched to make the street more inviting to walkers. Making the downtown's side streets more pedestrian-friendly has been a major goal the past few years.

I assume the covered walkway spanning the sunken road would be a conversion of the existing overpass over Beattie Place.

It is nice Buncombe/West North/East North streets have received much streetscape within recent years, narrowing from three to two lanes, parallel streetside parking, etc. Beattie Place/College Street deserves the same treatment.

• 3 weeks later...

TBA's from Feb 8:

- Redevelopment of the old Municipal Stadium on Mauldin Road is at a standstill. City had signed a deal to sell the property but that fell through. City is talking to several interested groups.

- A bridge over the Reedy near Cleveland Street will be in place soon for the Greenway trail heading south. Development of the trail will follow. This will allow bikes/walkers/joggers to go from downtown to Greenville Tech.

- Magnolia Park has signed several leases.

- Registration forms have been sent out for Artisphere.

- Worked has ramped up on the Wetherhill Park project in the Dunean community.

- There has been much talk about redevelopment plans along Stone Avenue. Things could happen soon.......

- Plans are still on schedule for the unveiling of the renderings of the building(s) at the Gateway site. Within 30 days.

• 2 weeks later...

TBAs for February 22, 2008:

-Expect to hear some news on the next phase of RiverPlace in the next 30 days. The city could spend close to $1.5 million on public improvements, but it likely won't go toward a garage. That doesn't mean a garage is out of the question nor is another hotel. The latest phase would extend the project to River Street...

-Money to widen Salters Road is making its way through the state Legislature. Business leaders want to open the area between Woodruff and Laurens Roads for more development. The city is seeking $2 million to start the project, but there is some talk of the city getting more...

-While the McChesney development at The Point is still technically on the table, city leaders believe it is officially dead...

-The city has annexed the land for a proposed Flournoy apartment project at The Point. However, that annexation is contingent on Flournoy buying the property...

-Don't expect to see workers keeping long hours at the Marriott development or on any city project in the near future. City Council members may soon start discussing the merits of putting a limit on construction hours. Right now, construction can occur seven days a week during daylight hours...

The front page has a nice article about downtown Greenville's turnaround. It said to expect more non-local investment downtown in the coming years (as opposed to the mostly local development we've had). Most of this development is expected to be in the form of renovations/enhancements to existing structures rather than outright new construction.

There is also a nice article about the Bassmaster Classic, which is expected to put about $20 million into the Upstate economy. We're also getting great national publicity, as ESPN is devoting 13.5 hours of broadcasting time to the weekend event.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about Riverplace in the next 30 days! If the City is going to spend money on improvements, though not necessarily a garage, will the next buildings go forward? The garage would have to be built first. Maybe the stuff we'll hear/see soon will be a slight change in the future buildings' architectural style. I wouldn't mind seeing another Hotel added to the mix.

TBA's from Feb. 29:

- Glass is in place on two of the buildings at the Carolina First campus.

- A group wants to build 12 townhomes on Green Avenue, diagonally across the street from the former Bell Furniture location. (Anyone know where this is?)

- Elliott Davis and the SC Chamber of Commerce are looking for the fastest growing companies in SC. Entry deadline is May 16. Winners announced in November.

- The Greenline-Spartanburg community may be ripe for change. An undisclosed developer has been buying up a lot of land.

- The AmeriSuites conversion to Hyatt Place is almost complete.

- Expect to see a crane soon for the Courtyard Hotel project downtown.

- Construction is moving quickly at LivnNsidout Sport Complex off of 385.

Thanks for posting.

That's really good news for Green Avenue, though I'm not sure where exactly along the street it is. Anyone else know?

Also, what exactly defines the Greenline-Spartanburg neighborhood?

It is the area bounded by East North St-Stone Ave-Wade Hampton Blvd-Dupont Drive/Harrington St. Spartanburg St. is the central street in the district I have been wondering since they built several new office buildings on Church St near the intersection with Wade Hampton Blvd if development might move into the Greenline area. It would seem commercial development would happen on Wade Hampton Blvd because Greenline isn't very accessible. You would have to build a new road or make major improvements. Maybe the vacant floodplain behind the former Clock at East North and Stone Ave. could be developed. Greenline is a fairly large area and I don't think one developer would try to get hold of the property unless it was a huge, McChesney type.

The properties fronting Wade Hampton, Church St., Stone Ave, and East North have obvious value.

^ Thanks for the description on location. This area definitely seems like a possible area for a McChesney type development. One of the few areas that surround downtown that has yet to see serious rebirth. Any idea who may be buying up the properties?

He of Tower at Falls and Broad fame. It was definitely going to happen according to him! :lol:

Really? Hmmm... Well, I WAS hoping for something great, but I don't know now.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like Villagio Verde or the proposed development behind Sirrine Stadium along Church Street. Just something mixed use and 'great'. :shades:

The three companies (Alexander Realty, Trace Realty, and Pearis Realty) all have the same registered agent: Ron Vergnolle.

That would be PHC Communities. They ahve done a number of nice projects around downtown. They did The Park on Park Avenue, Oakhurst Villas (I think that was the name) off Rutherford Rd. in the North Main area, they also redeveloped some old apartment buildings off Poinsett Hwy.

From the Business section of the March 14th Journal:

This sucks: RiverPlace Stalled. The city of Greenville doesn't have enough money at the moment to finance construction of the remaining portion of the parking garage that would be underneath Phase II. So, Bob Hughes looked into getting a new market tax credit to construct the garage himself. The tax credit requires all funds be spent within 18 months. Since Bob Hughes doesn't feel the project could be completed within 18 months, he has decided to forgo the $21 million loan from the federal program. So, it could be a couple more years before the garage is started (and, hence, the rest of Phase II as well). Ugh.

OK...on to the TBAs...

The Greenville Transit Authority (which will be known as "GreenLink") will be unveiling new colors and logos on their buses in the coming weeks. Also expect new and expanded routes (and hopefully - this is my own interjection here - some new signage/benches/and shelters at bus stops).

Development in Greenville is a broken record these days...stop me if you think that you've heard this one before (ode to the Smiths there)...the plans for the development of the Gateway site aren't ready yet (it's been over 30 days, hasn't it???). The developers say this isn't any sign of trouble, though...and assert that they're making sure everything is in place to begin work.

The "bridge" (floor panels extended over sewer pipe is more like it) that spans the Reedy River next to Church Street between Falls Park and Cleveland Park is being targeted by the city for replacement. The city would like to replace it with something a little more pedestrian-friendly (and I hope something more attractive as well).

A major downtown employer is trying to decide whether to stay in the CBD or move. If they stay, they'd be in a larger structure, which would mean construction on Main Street.... OK...I'll bite - who is this employer?

The renovation of the Carolina First Center is winding up. A grand re-opening is slated for May.

More annexation of land near CU-ICAR is being targetd by the city of Greenville.

The Carolina First Center for Excellence intends to partner with more high schools in coming months in an effort to get high school students prepared to join the work force as adults.

A major downtown employer is trying to decide whether to stay in the CBD or move. If they stay, they'd be in a larger structure, which would mean construction on Main Street.... OK...I'll bite - who is this employer?

Erwin-Penland perhaps ????

This sucks: RiverPlace Stalled. The city of Greenville doesn't have enough money at the moment to finance construction of the remaining portion of the parking garage that would be underneath Phase II. So, Bob Hughes looked into getting a new market tax credit to construct the garage himself. The tax credit requires all funds be spent within 18 months. Since Bob Hughes doesn't feel the project could be completed within 18 months, he has decided to forgo the $21 million loan from the federal program. So, it could be a couple more years before the garage is started (and, hence, the rest of Phase II as well). Ugh.

One would think that the city and/or Hughes would do whatever it takes to come up with the necessary funds. Isn't there some sort of emergency fund in the city budget? If so, I think this development is important enough to justify dipping into that fund. Why can't Hughes take bids from all construction companies, with the stipulation that the work has to be completed within 18 months? Is that really so difficult for a construction company to get it accomplished on time?

I feel like this is one of those decisions that comes back to bite us in the butt. In other words, this could be the type of delay that prevents the rest of RiverPlace from ever being developed. You know the drill - a few years pass, the developer loses interest, construction costs increase, the economy is bad, the public can't support the development, etc. You get the drill. This SUCKS.

Erwin-Penland perhaps ????

They just kicked tenants out of one of their buildings so that they could have more office space. I doubt they'd be ready to expand again. And if so, would you not have seen this needed expansion coming and left them renting space in your building since you'd be moving...?

I hope the City fights to keep whoever it is downtown! Especially if it means new construction... Main at McBee is still available for a building... :whistling:

They'd be in "a larger structure" and be "on Main Street"... Who would need so much space that they'd be willing to build their own building? (as opposed to the new office space in the new Marriott development, or an existing tower?) And who is a major downtown employer? If someone would be wanting to build on Main Street, then I'd assume they're already on Main Street. I'm stumped.

Archived