Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'd be great if whoever it is would jump on-board with the Woolworth project. Landing a major office tenant (assuming office space is included in the plans) would definitely help the project get realized. OR, I'd be just as happy with them building something new (as long as it's a WORTHY building and not an underutilization of prime real estate on MAin...

The Greenville Transit Authority (which will be known as "GreenLink") will be unveiling new colors and logos on their buses in the coming weeks. Also expect new and expanded routes (and hopefully - this is my own interjection here - some new signage/benches/and shelters at bus stops).

Oh yea - and an improved and more useful web site with route schedules/maps would be nice, too.

Oh yea - and an improved and more useful web site with route schedules/maps would be nice, too.

:rofl:

Although that struck me as funny, I know you aren't kidding. And it's really not a laughing matter. GTA is going to have to do a much better job of not only publicizing public transit, but making it more user-friendly. As you have said, that needs to be in the form of a better web site, clearly marked stops, improved bus shelters, etc.

And better routes! It shouldn't just be for poor people!

From the Business section of the March 14th Journal:

This sucks: RiverPlace Stalled. The city of Greenville doesn't have enough money at the moment to finance construction of the remaining portion of the parking garage that would be underneath Phase II. So, Bob Hughes looked into getting a new market tax credit to construct the garage himself. The tax credit requires all funds be spent within 18 months. Since Bob Hughes doesn't feel the project could be completed within 18 months, he has decided to forgo the $21 million loan from the federal program. So, it could be a couple more years before the garage is started (and, hence, the rest of Phase II as well). Ugh.

That does "suck!" I have faith in these developers to see this one through to the end, no matter how long it takes, but a major delay will obviously not be good for the forward momentum in that part of downtown, especially along the Reedy River.

OK...on to the TBAs...

A major downtown employer is trying to decide whether to stay in the CBD or move. If they stay, they'd be in a larger structure, which would mean construction on Main Street.... OK...I'll bite - who is this employer?

Just speculation, but could this possibly involve Greenville County Government? We already know they are looking to do "something" new, but could they (or would they) willingly consider a new Main Street location? I could imagine them in something on the North End, near Academy Street or Stone Avenue. Beyond that, what are the other major downtown employers with potential incentive to build something significant on Main Street?

They just kicked tenants out of one of their buildings so that they could have more office space. I doubt they'd be ready to expand again. And if so, would you not have seen this needed expansion coming and left them renting space in your building since you'd be moving...?

I hope the City fights to keep whoever it is downtown! Especially if it means new construction... Main at McBee is still available for a building... :whistling:

They'd be in "a larger structure" and be "on Main Street"... Who would need so much space that they'd be willing to build their own building? (as opposed to the new office space in the new Marriott development, or an existing tower?) And who is a major downtown employer? If someone would be wanting to build on Main Street, then I'd assume they're already on Main Street. I'm stumped.

It has already been announced that Erwin-Penland is in need of a significant increase in their office space. They have landed several big new accounts. There is nothing in the TBA that indicates the company is already on Main. If it is Erwin-Penland, they are probably looking at something on Main if they stay DT, but are also considering a suburban location. If it is E-P, I sure hope they stay DT. Moving to the suburbs would only encourage more sprawl.

I serious doubt it is the count. I think they will stay put until they get the offer they want to justify leaving County Square.

My thinking is that if you're off of Main, then you know that it's possible to work off of Main Street. You know that it's just as easy of a walk to go a few blocks up the road. Not only that, you know that parking is generally easier. So, in my mind, if you're looking at Main, then you're already on Main and afraid of the move off of that street. You're afraid of the unknown, while people off of Main know it's possible and there are some advantages... Just my two cents. Who knows? But I think we all know that staying downtown is VERY important!

From the Business section of the March 14th Journal:

The "bridge" (floor panels extended over sewer pipe is more like it) that spans the Reedy River next to Church Street between Falls Park and Cleveland Park is being targeted by the city for replacement. The city would like to replace it with something a little more pedestrian-friendly (and I hope something more attractive as well).

I'll be sure to pass this good news on to my poor little dachshund. She refuses to go across anything resembling a grate...and this bridge absolutely terrifies her. I have to pick her up an carry her across.

I'll be sure to pass this good news on to my poor little dachshund. She refuses to go across anything resembling a grate...and this bridge absolutely terrifies her. I have to pick her up an carry her across.

The thing strikes terror in the heart of my daughter as well, so your poor little dachshund is not alone. When this one is replaced, it will be long overdue. Not to mention, it would help more visually connect Falls Park to Cleveland Park as well. That little neck of park through there has been in limbo for a while, but has the potential to be a very nice addition to the park system, given the small cascading falls and rocks along the river there.

Now if they could just BURY the sewage pipe. :wacko:

The thing strikes terror in the heart of my daughter as well, so your poor little dachshund is not alone. When this one is replaced, it will be long overdue. Not to mention, it would help more visually connect Falls Park to Cleveland Park as well. That little neck of park through there has been in limbo for a while, but has the potential to be a very nice addition to the park system, given the small cascading falls and rocks along the river there.

Now if they could just BURY the sewage pipe. :wacko:

I think that is a WATER pipe. I don't believe DHEC would allow large sewer pipe to be exposed like that.

My thinking is that if you're off of Main, then you know that it's possible to work off of Main Street. You know that it's just as easy of a walk to go a few blocks up the road. Not only that, you know that parking is generally easier. So, in my mind, if you're looking at Main, then you're already on Main and afraid of the move off of that street. You're afraid of the unknown, while people off of Main know it's possible and there are some advantages... Just my two cents. Who knows? But I think we all know that staying downtown is VERY important!

I read it the same way you did, that this company is already located on Main. The interesting thing about JB's blurb was that it said to expect construction on Main if the company decided to stay. Which companies of significance along Main Street would be able to add to their current building? It seems that it would require a totally new building.

If it is Erwin-Penland, we must do whatever it takes to keep them downtown. It would be great for them to be the principal tenant in a new main street midrise or highrise. Main at McBee would be a great location. ;)

I don't think it's the county government. They seem happy at County Square, and seem to have plenty of room to expand there if necessary.

If it is Erwin-Penland, we must do whatever it takes to keep them downtown. It would be great for them to be the principal tenant in a new main street midrise or highrise. Main at McBee would be a great location. ;)

I was thinking the same thing.

If that's the case, then remind me to never drink the water that comes out of it. There's an unmistakable aroma of sewage nearly the entire length of the exposed pipe.

I have never noticed that myself, albeit, it been a long time since I've been in Cleveland Park. Also, are you sure it wasn't the RIVER that smelled?

...Which companies of significance along Main Street would be able to add to their current building? It seems that it would require a totally new building...
Perhaps The Greenville News? The City of Greenville? I am trying to think of "major downtown employers" on Main Street who could be looking to expand. Of course at this point, "major" is a relative word. Major could be a reference to an "important" business or organization rather than a large one.

Perhaps The Greenville News? The City of Greenville? I am trying to think of "major downtown employers" on Main Street who could be looking to expand. Of course at this point, "major" is a relative word. Major could be a reference to an "important" business or organization rather than a large one.

This is true. I had not thought about it just being an "important" employer, as opposed to large...

The only other 'major' presence on Main, in addition to what you said, that I can think of is South Financial. I look forward to finding out more

The more I think about it, the more that I hope Nuvox is the one. Really, I'd just like to see that location turned from office space (at ground level) into retail space along Main and Washington Streets. So, if they'd move elsewhere then the possibility for more street level activity would greatly increase at that location.

I'm not sure how much space they'd need, but is there really all that much space available to upfit on Main? If someone is looking to expand, then the only mass amount of vacant space I can think of would be at the new Courtyard by Marriott (assuming no one has signed on for the office space component).

I wonder what the definition of "build" is in this case? Considering the possibility that NuVox may need to expand, would they be an instant candidate to actually build something new on Main Street, or just lease and upfit space for their offices?

Good point.

I would hope it is new. Is there any space large enough to upfit for NuVox in one location now? Aren't they currently spread into three or so buildings (Landmark Tower, Washington & Main, etc)?

Good point.

I would hope it is new. Is there any space large enough to upfit for NuVox in one location now? Aren't they currently spread into three or so buildings (Landmark Tower, Washington & Main, etc)?

NuVox enlisted Pazdan-Smith a few months back to interview their employees about what they percieved as Ideal workspaces. There could be some merit to this candidate. It would be good news as many Telecoms merge and acquire (and relocate) at a high rate this would indicate a desire to stay local for them.

Archived