Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

TBA's from June 6th edition:

- The city is getting ready to finalize a deal to add public infrastructure such as new sidewalks, large sewer pipes and better looking roads to Verdae.....

- A project that could be making headway in the next 30 days is the completion of the second phase of Riverplace. The city and the developers are trying to figure out how to make a garage on the site economically feasible. The city has already set aside 1.6 million for the next phase......

- Two groups have made offers on the old Municipal Stadium on Mauldin Road.....

- Check out the Carolina First Center as the final touches of the remodel / expansion are being put in place......

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm interested in and frustrated by the Riverplace tease. It says 30 days, yet it also says that the garage's economic feasibility is the issue. Is that really something that will be worked out in the next 30 days? And what will come of this, approval for the garage funding but no construction?

I'm interested in and frustrated by the Riverplace tease. It says 30 days, yet it also says that the garage's economic feasibility is the issue. Is that really something that will be worked out in the next 30 days? And what will come of this, approval for the garage funding but no construction?

Same here. I was really disappointed when we originally heard it would be 2-3 years due to a lack of funding for the parking garage, then very excited to hear that they seemed encouraged that the money for the parking garage would be obtained. I don't really know what is going on, but am optimistic that they will realize how important RiverPlace is to our city and make it happen as quickly as possible.

I just hope the new additions will be positive ones. I will be disappointed if it's just more of the exact same architecture, especially if it's just more condos and/or hotels. While the design should complement what we already have, I would like to see something a little different to shake things up a bit. :thumbsup:

I hope we can expect to see another hotel as a part of the development, but what kind? Currently downtown we have a Hampton Inn & Suites, Hyatt Regency, Westin, and a Holiday Inn Express, with a Courtyard by Marriott under construction. I really like the designs of most of the W hotels I've seen. Something modern in design like a W, but not necessarily that brand would be nice. :rolleyes: Hopefully we'll see some more residential in phase two and hopefully some office space to add daytime activity to the new buildings. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Greenville Journal TBAs for June 20, 2008:

-Rumors are circulating that a large call center is looking for a location somewhere in the Upstate. Many business leaders have been pushing for call centers in the last few years because they tend to hire a lot of people at one time...

-The framing work is near completion and construction on some of the walls has started for the medical park at the corner of Verdae Boulevard and Woodruff Road. This is part of the Verdae development coming to that section of town...

-Clemson's graduate entrepreneurial program is up and running in downtown Greenville. This is key because Clemson uses Greenville as a recruiting tool for faculty and staff, and now Greenville can use Clemson resources as a recruitment tool for economic development...

-A bill that would move the state's film commission from the commerce department to the jurisdiction of the parks and tourism department is waiting for Gov. Mark Sanford's approval for it to become law. Many business leaders believe moving the agency will allow it more room to grow and then bring more movies and television series to South Carolina. While still not a major financial boon for the state as a whole, movies are cash cows for local economies...

I only had a moment to glance at the Journal TBAs this week before heading out of town, so if someone could post them that would be great. I don't recall anything especially noteworthy in this week's edition, but it did say that the city has been meeting a lot to discuss the future plans for Municipal Stadium at Mauldin Road and I-85.

• 2 weeks later...

Have there not been any noteworthy listings in the Greenville Journal TBAs these last few weeks? The TBAs were once posted with zen-like discipline every Friday, if not on Thursday night. What happened? :dontknow:

Here are this week's:

-The next phase of the city's walking/biking trail could be unveiled within the next few weeks. The city has hired a design team to map out a route heading from Greenville Technical College to the Interstate 85/Mauldin Road interchange and that plan could be ready relatively soon...

-There is a move afoot to change the way things are done during the Chamber of Commerce's annual trip to Washington D.C. to make it more of a lobbying effort as opposed to the current fact-finding missions. The group, which consists of public and private business leaders, often meets with top-level senators and congressmen...

-And that September trip could be very important this year because Congress is working on reauthorization of its federal tranportation dollars. The last time this bill came around the city received almost $8 million for projects such as Fairforest Way, which has been renovated, and a multi-modal hub, which remains unspent. Area leaders are angling for rapid bus and Salters Road money this time around...

-More development is coming to the Green Avenue neighborhood. The city has set aside $235,000 to help acquire land. A neighborhood association meeting center has been set up and most importantly several old structures have been demolished...

-Some major developments may be coming to the Stone Avenue/Wade Hampton Boulevard intersection. At least four projects are said to be likely, but what they may or may not be is up in the air. At one time there was talk of a high-end grocery store locating in the area...

-It has long been believed that if - and that is a big if after all of these years - high-speed rail came through the region, it would pass through downtown Greenville. But now, there is speculation of another route running along Interstate 85. City leaders, though, want to see a rail line downtown...

-The release of the city's master plan has set off a small tidal wave of speculation as to what projects could be percolating in some of the hot spots designated in the plan, especially the "five corners" surrounding downtown...

-Development of the third-phase of RiverPlace is still being worked on in terms of making the structures financially feasible...

-In the summer of the Olympics, Greenville is going for the silver - as a bike-friendly city that is. Despite becoming a major cycling center, the city has not sought bicycle friendly community status from the League of American Bicyclists. That will change in 2009 because the city plans to apply for silver status, which is the third highest goal. LAB officials said Greenville has a very strong opportunity to be the first southeastern city to get that ranking...

-The parking structure at the Main at Broad development downtown is under way. This is part of the project (behind the red wall) that will bring a Marriott Hotel to Main Street. Look for a contract to be signed in August to add a public water feature and restrooms...

Thanks for posting this week's TBAs, citylife.

I think it is essential that the high-speed rail stop be downtown, rather than along I-85. And if it must be on I-85, then I would like to see the city, county, and/or state help pay for a rail line to connect from there to downtown. Our downtown is too good and too important to miss out on this.

I am glad to see that we will hopefully be the first Southeastern city to achieve silver status for cyclists.

Also, I still contend that this Marriott Courtyard at Main and Broad will have a bigger impact than we think.

A few of this week's TBA's:

- The 100 million dollar expansion at the 3M plant in Greenville is moving along. Since its announcement in November of 2006, this has been on schedule. The hiring of about 50 workers could begin soon.

- With all of the negative news coming out of the banking industry of late, there is word on the street that one locally owned bank is expected to make some good announcements within the next few weeks. Stay tuned on that one...

- Work should start soon on the Tradition at Verdae, the latest housing development in the 1,100 acre Verdae project. The tradition is being modeled after two similar projects in Kentucky and will include 100 homes on 30 acres...

I'm intrigued by the banking news. I hope it means something good for Greenville and one of its banks.

What is the Tradition at Verdae? Where will it be located?

• 2 weeks later...

This is actually August 8th TBA's (last weeks), but we missed a good one. In bold below.

- Greenville is competing for the FedEx, 110 million Southeastern ground hub. Competing against cities in NC and TN. The project will go online in 2009. If Upstate / Greenville is chosen, the facility would go somewhere directly on I-85.

- Joseph-Beth Booksellers is still looking at downtown Greenville for a store. The company's owner is expected to make a trip to Greenville in a few weeks to look at the city. If a decision is made, it would still be a year or two until a store is built.

- There is new life coming to some vacant restaurants on Haywood Road. A Los Lamos and Copper River Grill are both scheduled to open. Beef O'Brady's just opened at Haywood and Orchard Park in the old Longhorn location.

- A third golf course has joined the Chamber's annual golf tournament. Cherokee Valley joins the Cliffs at Glassy and the Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards for the Aug. 25th tournament. A record number of attendees is expected this year.

- The Hilton Garden Inn at the Point is on schedule to open in summer 2009.

Isn't the FedEx hub looking at GSP as opposed to "Greenville" ? Would they build their hub near the airport on I-85, or is it more of a situation where they will build somewhere along 85, and just utilize GSP?

GSP = Greenville. Same thing in most peoples minds. From the TBA, sounded like multiple locations along 85 are being looked at. Seems they want interstate frontage. Easy on / easy off access.

Not even going to get into the GSP=Greenville thing. That's just silly, but the Spartanburg paper said that a site at or near GSP was ruled out. They really don't seem to need airport access. They do want to be near a sizable work pool, colleges, and interstate access - all of which the Upstate has to offer. The Spartanburg leader of the area chamber wouldn't comment on incentives, but the paper did list incentives offered by the other regions.

LINK to HJ

Not even going to get into the GSP=Greenville thing. That's just silly, but the Spartanburg paper said that a site at or near GSP was ruled out. They really don't seem to need airport access. They do want to be near a sizable work pool, colleges, and interstate access - all of which the Upstate has to offer. The Spartanburg leader of the area chamber wouldn't comment on incentives, but the paper did list incentives offered by the other regions.

LINK to HJ

Not to offend, but I must ask what is "silly" about Greenville's airport GSP = Greenville? Greenville's suburban areas surround the airport. The name of the airport is Greenville-Spartanburg International. Silly me I guess, I didn't realize when I moved to Greenville and started flying out of GSP, that GSP was 100's of miles away. :dontknow::dontknow:

Not to offend, but I must ask what is "silly" about Greenville's airport GSP = Greenville? Greenville's suburban areas surround the airport. The name of the airport is Greenville-Spartanburg International. Silly me I guess, I didn't realize when I moved to Greenville and started flying out of GSP, that GSP was 100's of miles away. :dontknow::dontknow:

"Greenville" does not always equal "GSP." Unless of course you all live at the airport.

Archived