Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

TBA's from Thurs. Sept 12:

- The Bi-Lo at the corner of Mauldin Road and Pleasantburg Drive has been annexed into the city.....

- Little League officials will be visiting Greenville in late September or early October to discuss moving the organizations Southeast headquarters to the old Municipal Stadium....

- Expect to see the two downtown trolleys running Thursday through Sunday nonstop now that the Greenville Drive season has ended. The city is looking to expand trolley service to 7 days a week as some point....

- Look for a formal dedication of the Carolina Point Parkway in the coming weeks.....

- Rumblings about a fairly large retail project to be announced in the next few weeks.......

- Green Avenue revitalization is slowly starting to take shape. Construction of a row of houses on Anderson Street is almost complete.......

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(snip)

Spartanburg is its own city, with its own identity for sure. But it is still a part of Greater Greenville if you ask me. Why should that take anything away from Spartanburg?

Like its identity?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not feeling rancorous re. the subject... I am perplexed. I don't comprehend the "need" to merge Spartanburg into "greater Greenville."

When you homogenize things, the character of the discrete parts no longer exists. People would laugh at me if I offered them a strawberry-banana smoothie while insisting that the banana has no effect on how the strawberries taste. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

TBA's from Sept. 26:

- Expect to hear a fairly large development announcement coming from CU-ICAR in the next few weeks.....

- The city is working with Kroc Center on a deal for landscaping and some parcels of property that have mnior contaminants......

- Benetz is moving to a new location behind Augusta 20....the address will be Main Street.....this is where Sworn was located......

- Clemson is renovating a large amount of space at McAlister Square for its classes. In addition, USC Upstate is adding a bookstore to the mall.....

- McAlister Square Barber Shop is leaving to open a new location across town to be known as the Barbershop on Mohawk Drive......

- The city will soon hire a manager to handle burying Duke Energy power lines. Duke recently buried some lines along Main Street in West End near Fluor Field. The two sides continue to work together to bury power lines.......

- While the announcement has been made showing what Washington Sqaure will look like, it doesn't mean work will start soon. The city will extend the development with teh projects backers, giving more time to get the project set (leases, etc).....

Journal TBAs for October 3, 2008:

Expect to see some of the plaster and brick removed in the coming weeks from the Greenville Army Navy Store's warehouse at the corner of Main and River Streets downtown. Developers are turning the structure into a four-story mix of housing, office and retail. Scaffolding for the renovation project, which aims to use as much of the original brick as possible, is already up...

The former Munchies site in the West End is getting some new life. It is slated to become a high end frozen yogurt shop somewhat along the lines of the Pinkberry concept that is sweeping the West Coast...

Another restaurant may be going into the bottom floor of the West End Market. There was an oyster bar at the site before...

Plans for a grocery/convenience store are moving forward on Main Street. The store is being called Rey's in honor of the jewelry store that was at the site for decades. That store's old metallic sign has been reinstalled inside the new store...

Miniature golf is coming to the West End. Developers are building an indoor putt-putt course on Camperdown Way across from RiverPlace...

Work on the downtown Marriott is on schedule after some delays with the foundation - there was more rock under the site than expected. The framework for the hotel and the surrounding development is in place now...

The former Munchies site in the West End is getting some new life. It is slated to become a high end frozen yogurt shop somewhat along the lines of the Pinkberry concept that is sweeping the West Coast...

They're predominantly in So Cal and NYC ... not sure I'd call that "sweeping the west coast" :rolleyes: They're not exactly Golden Spoon. So they got one AmEx commercial. :P

Regarless, I could see a high-end frozen yogurt shop doing better business than Munchies in that location. Good to hear! :thumbsup: Perhaps it's a Yogen Fruz?

• 2 weeks later...

TBA's from October 17:

- Expect to hear some information soon on the city looking to split the duties of the DPC. The idea would be to have the DPC handle residential guidelines and another group handle commercial.....

- The developers of Washington Square at the corner of Main and Washington are getting alot of response to its proposal for a 75,000 square foot tenant that could be a hotel.....

- Liquid Highway just opened its 6th store and plans to more than double to 13 locations through an acquisition as well as expansion.....

- The shake up in banking could lead to exterior changes on Main Street. Wells Fargo purchase of Wachovia could lead to a name change on the downtown mixed use complex.....

- An announcement will be coming in the next few weeks about the official opening of the city's trail system heading south out of Cleveland Park.....

TBA's from October 17:

- The developers of Washington Square at the corner of Main and Washington are getting alot of response to its proposal for a 75,000 square foot tenant that could be a hotel.....

-

2 questions:

Is this for the 13 storey hotel, 75,000 sf can't possible fill a 13 storey building unless the hotel is only part of it?

Do you guys think DT will support another hotel right now with the economy as it is?

TBA's from October 24:

- Look for some new signs for the Carolina First Center to be erected in the coming weeks. Signage has been an issue for the convention center.....

- Expect to see work start later this month on the Kroc Center downtown. This project has been greatly anticipated for the last few years, but seemed to have been under constsnt design flux. For example, the tennis courts are now off the table but could be added again soon.....

- Chamber leaders are peddling their legislative agenda to key legislators across the state in hopes of passing several bills that would help business.....

- Columbia based First Citizens Bank continues to expand in the Upstate. New branch under construction just outside entrance to Clemson University.....

- Walls are going up for the Hilton Garden Inn at the Point. This area around the interchange of Woodruff Rd. and I-85 was no-man's land just a few years ago, but now rapidly expanding.....

- City looking at ways to redo the water and sewer lines in the Haynie-Sirrine neighborhood. This area is expected to undergo a massive redevelopment and larger sewage capacity in needed. Some smaller projects have failed to start here because of that issue.....

• 2 weeks later...

TBA's from Nov. 7:

- Little League International officials were apparently impressed with what they saw in Greenville. They were here for a visit last week. Greenville is one of three Southeastern cities in the running for the sports new Southeastern headquarters.

- Despite the economy, several projects continue to gain traction downtown. A Washington, DC based restaurant chain is looking at several sites both on and off Main. There is also a business that has "long been coveted" looking at downtown. Any guesses?

- Expect a decision on the site for the new federal courthouse before the Jan. presidential inauguration.

- U.S. Rep Gresham Barrett will be one of the speakers at a transportation and energy summit being held at BMW on Nov. 11. This is key for economic development in the region as South Carolina tries to position itself as the nations future hydrogen capital.

TBA's from Nov. 7:

- Despite the economy, several projects continue to gain traction downtown. A Washington, DC based restaurant chain is looking at several sites both on and off Main. There is also a business that has "long been coveted" looking at downtown. Any guesses?

- Expect a decision on the site for the new federal courthouse before the Jan. presidential inauguration.

For the first one I would guess a national bookseller. For the second, didn't we see this one before?

BTW, thanks for posting these!

TBA's from Nov. 7:

For the restaurant I'll guess PotBelly. Of course that may just be my wishful thinking but they have great sandwiches

This goes back a few weeks to a TBA that from a week that did not get posted, but I want to bring it up because it made me very angry.

A few weeks back I am walking down main and see that the beautiful mahogany front on the new Halfway to Havana has been painted white and I thought to myself, bot that is stupid, why paint over that beautiful wood, not its just looks plain and to much like everything else.

Well then like a week later there was a TBA that stated that the city made them paint it white saying that the stained mahogany wood was out of character for Greenville. This really pissed me off because one whether the wood is stained or painted white should be none of their damn business second, why the hell do we want everything in Greenville to look the same? Uniformity sucks! If you look at the old buildings whether they are a 100 years old or 30 they vary greatly so why now must everything start looking the same?

On top of this, what also upsets me is that this was a non story, a big deal was made about the Rising Roll sign by supporters on both sides yet this went unnoticed. And it shouldn't have because this was a far worse abuse of power. Maybe it wasn't a big deal to the owners and that is why little has been said, but to me whether or not a store front is natural or painted should not be something the city decides.

TBA's from Nov. 7:

- Little League International officials were apparently impressed with what they saw in Greenville. They were here for a visit last week. Greenville is one of three Southeastern cities in the running for the sports new Southeastern headquarters.

- U.S. Rep Gresham Barrett will be one of the speakers at a transportation and energy summit being held at BMW on Nov. 11. This is key for economic development in the region as South Carolina tries to position itself as the nations future hydrogen capital.

This was definitely a good week for the TBAs (finally!). :lol:

1. I had wondered if the Little League's Southeastern headquarters was still a possibility for Greenville, and it sounds like it very much is. I know it's not a huge economic development on the scale of BMW or Michelin, but it would certainly add to both the quality of life (baseball is a popular youth sport) as well as the tourism (it would mean one or two larger tournaments each year, out of town visitors, etc.).

2. It says a lot for our downtown that projects continue to materialize despite the economy. I have no idea which DC-based restaurant chain could be locating downtown, but I am definitely intrigued! I agree that the "long-coveted" business looking at downtown could be a regional or national bookseller (Joseph-Beth?). With the IMAX plans being on hold/in limbo at Hollywood 20, could they be considering downtown now? Just a thought.

3. I really hope they put the federal courthouse in the parking lot on East North Street. That would add some great density to that spot, and also makes sense given the close proximity to law offices and the county courthouse essentially across the street. That was previously mentioned as their likely #1 choice, but since then I believe we heard that they were reconsidering.

4. These types of meetings are always good for the Upstate. Hopefully some good economic developments will come of it (don't they always?)!

3. I really hope they put the federal courthouse in the parking lot on East North Street. That would add some great density to that spot, and also makes sense given the close proximity to law offices and the county courthouse essentially across the street. That was previously mentioned as their likely #1 choice, but since then I believe we heard that they were reconsidering.

I believe we also heard that maybe the area behind the current Courthouse (I thought anyway) was a possibility. I liked that location because of the size of the parcel and the location would offer some neat perspectives of a possibly stellar building from the Church Street bridge... I'd really like some major mixed use development to conquer those large parking lots between Washington and North Streets...

This goes back a few weeks to a TBA that from a week that did not get posted, but I want to bring it up because it made me very angry.

A few weeks back I am walking down main and see that the beautiful mahogany front on the new Halfway to Havana has been painted white and I thought to myself, bot that is stupid, why paint over that beautiful wood, not its just looks plain and to much like everything else.

Well then like a week later there was a TBA that stated that the city made them paint it white saying that the stained mahogany wood was out of character for Greenville. This really pissed me off because one whether the wood is stained or painted white should be none of their damn business second, why the hell do we want everything in Greenville to look the same? Uniformity sucks! If you look at the old buildings whether they are a 100 years old or 30 they vary greatly so why now must everything start looking the same?

On top of this, what also upsets me is that this was a non story, a big deal was made about the Rising Roll sign by supporters on both sides yet this went unnoticed. And it shouldn't have because this was a far worse abuse of power. Maybe it wasn't a big deal to the owners and that is why little has been said, but to me whether or not a store front is natural or painted should not be something the city decides.

I agree with all my heart!!! :shok: What happened to make these people think it would be the right decision to change a beautiful, classy design with great character? I was admiring the classic beauty of the storefront and hoping that it would spur other similar (not identical) storefront designs on Main Street. With the European flair already noticable, I am shocked that such a detail would be rejected in favor of slightly more bland "uniformity." :dunno:

I agree with all my heart!!! :shok: What happened to make these people think it would be the right decision to change a beautiful, classy design with great character? I was admiring the classic beauty of the storefront and hoping that it would spur other similar (not identical) storefront designs on Main Street. With the European flair already noticable, I am shocked that such a detail would be rejected in favor of slightly more bland "uniformity." :dunno:

Chalk me up for being in agreement as well. When I saw that paint covering what was before richly stained wood, I felt like someone had desecrated a work of art. I am blown away (in NOT a good way this time). What a shame, someone should force the city to restore it on their dime.

• 2 weeks later...

TBA's from Nov. 20:

- The city of Greenville is working on getting all the rights of way for he transformation of Fairforest Way into a tree lined boulevard complete with bike lanes. The work will not start until 2009, at the earliest. Also talk of renaming Fairforest to Millennium Blvd, which Fairforest connects to, at Laurens.

- The USA Pro Cycling Championship will be back for 2009 and the city is working on 2010 and 2011. However, don't expect the city to get the 150,000 it got from the state to help lure the event again.

- A dedication of the remodeled Carolina First Center (Palmetto Expo) is upcoming.

- Greenville based VidiStar, which created a picture archiving communication system used in the medical community, is the latest area company to get funding from SC Launch.

- Chamber of Commerce leaders are concerned about the Employee Free Choice Act that is making its way through Congress and has the backing of pre-elect Obama. The fear is the act, which allows employees to unionize more easily, would be aimed at small businesses.

- Greenville based VidiStar, which created a picture archiving communication system used in the medical community, is the latest area company to get funding from SC Launch.

That now makes three companies in Greenville making picture archiving and communications systems (PACS). The other two are Agfa HealthCare near downtown and eRAD Image Medical on the east side. Dare I say that the Upstate is becoming a veritable hotbed of medical imaging?

Anyone have TBA's from this past week? I missed my copy of the Journal for some reason.

My apology for being so late to respond, but here they are and better late than never:

TBA with John Boyanoski, November 14, 2008

- The developers of the former Woolworth's building at the corner of Main and Washington streets have gotten more time from the city to start work. The original deadline was the end of this year, but now Pavilion Development has until September 2009 to get work done. The group is looking for a main office tenant before starting work...

- Look for a 39-house subdivision to be built off Grove Road in Greenville. The project is aptly name Grove Plantation...

- Dirt is being moved for the new Century BMW location across from the main entrance to the Clemson automotive research park on Laurens Road. The new location will be almost double the size of the auto dealer's operation, which is located on the Laurens Road motor mile. Expect an opening sometime in 2009...

- Plans are underway for Creekside Professional Village, which would include six units/buildings off Pointe Circle...

- The city should start work on the revamping of the downtown GTA parking deck on Washington Street soon. The deck had been closed for more than a month to do some work to prevent water leakage. The next phase will be adding more lights to make the interior of the bus transfer center more hospitable...

- BMW recently filmed a television spot in Greenville for a new ad campaign. While the filming was done extensively here, it may not actually highlight the region...

Archived