Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the bells at Riverplace, I'm glad to know they are still on, but this sounds strange....."money for a system to hold the bells". The photos we saw of the winning design was a freestanding tower with the bells in it.....now they say they need a "holding system"?? Isn't that kind of like buying a beautiful car and then saying "oh, I can't drive it until I find the money to purchase the engine". Doesn't seem very logical to me. :dontknow:

The freestanding tower you saw in the pictures is the holding system.

I guess my concern is with the detail level of the developer. The bells seem to have taken waaayyy too long. I'm wondering why the tower wouldn't have been part of the overall winning design and why it would not have been funded/manufactured with the bells? :dontknow:

While I think Riverplace overall is an outstanding development, the developer has sorely missed the boat on both this bell tower and the fountain/train portion of the fountain (that sometimes functions and sometimes doesn't, sometimes has handmade "don't play in fountain" signs). These two issues seem to be a big miss on the attention to detail, and seem to be a bit "rinky-dink" to use an old Southern term. :lol:

I guess my concern is with the detail level of the developer. The bells seem to have taken waaayyy too long. I'm wondering why the tower wouldn't have been part of the overall winning design and why it would not have been funded/manufactured with the bells? :dontknow:

While I think Riverplace overall is an outstanding development, the developer has sorely missed the boat on both this bell tower and the fountain/train portion of the fountain (that sometimes functions and sometimes doesn't, sometimes has handmade "don't play in fountain" signs). These two issues seem to be a big miss on the attention to detail, and seem to be a bit "rinky-dink" to use an old Southern term. :lol:

If I remember correctly the bells were a gift from the bell maker (manufactored decades ago?) and I could be wrong on this but isn't the bell tower the cities responsibility? And I know that the city was responsible for the fountain, so I think you are putting somethings on the developer that just isn't their fault.

The developer is just as upset about the fountain as anybody, probably more. This fountain is part of the downside of a public/private partnership. The fountain is actually city property, which means the fountain construction was won by the lowest bidder instead of being negotiated to competent tradesmen. The dev. now has started to front his own money to finally fix all the problems that the city seems unwilling to do. As far as the bells, I'm not sure if they fall into this distinction as well, or not. I believe he also pays to maintain the grounds around Riverplace, even though it is city property. Because even this early on it was being neglected.

If I remember correctly the bells were a gift from the bell maker (manufactored decades ago?) and I could be wrong on this but isn't the bell tower the cities responsibility? And I know that the city was responsible for the fountain, so I think you are putting somethings on the developer that just isn't their fault.

I didn't realize that. If that's the case, the city needs to get the fountain corrected. It's a bit of letdown for an otherwise great development from day one. As for the belltower, the same thing. This belltower was talked about year ago. I thought it was being manufactured by an artist and that was the hold-up? :dontknow: Whichever it is, bells with no tower or funding for a tower to hang them in, is a mistake on someones part.

Sorry btoy, your post addressed some of the things that I pointed out as well. Just didn't see yours by the time I posted mine. Your too quick!

• 2 weeks later...

Get some.

To Be Announced

What's next in the world of business?

by John Boyanoski

Updated: April 23, 1:36 p.m.

April 24

Funding for the redesign and redevelopment of the Salters Road bridge could come through later this year. The project has been a high priority for some time. The bridge spans Interstate 85 and is a key connector to the Clemson automotive research campus

Get some.

To Be Announced

What's next in the world of business?

by John Boyanoski

April 10

While the annexation hearings for the Woodside Mill property won't be until next month, the developers have been meeting with residents in the Woodside area about the process. A North Carolina-based group wants to buy the old cotton mill and convert it into condos. It needs to be in the city to get federal grants

How do you know that there aren't several big office announcements brewing downtown?

I never said there weren't. I'm just saying that if there are, they probably won't happen as soon as the Greenville Journal is saying they will. I talked to the city manager about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't sure where to put this, but the ACC Baseball tournaments for 2011-13 were awarded today. Greenville, Greensboro, Jacksonville and one other city I can't remember all lost out to Myrtle Beach.

TBA had an item on this in the last issue.

Wasn't sure where to put this, but the ACC Baseball tournaments for 2011-13 were awarded today. Greenville, Greensboro, Jacksonville and one other city I can't remember all lost out to Myrtle Beach.

TBA had an item on this in the last issue.

Well that stinks. Myrtle Beach would have been my last choice. :dontknow:

Well that stinks. Myrtle Beach would have been my last choice. :dontknow:

MB would have been my last choice also. Kids out of school will already be there. Trafic will be bad, motel rates will be high, it will be hot and I hope it rains everyday. Tourists are not going to go. It's not close to any ACC school. If Clemson fans don't show up in big numbers it will fail bigtime just like it has everywhere else it has been since Greenville. I think the reason Greenville lost out was the coaches and AD still think Greenville is too big of an advantage for Clemson. I really don't think home field(it's really not their home field) is that big of a deal in baseball. Oh well, at least we have the SoCon tournament next week.

I think the reason Greenville lost out was the coaches and AD still think Greenville is too big of an advantage for Clemson.

I think the ACC higher-ups feel that way also. It's too bad that logic doesn't apply when they choose to have a majority of events close to Duke, UNC, Wake, and NC State (e.g., the ACC basketball tournament in Greensboro or Charlotte just about every year). If they don't think that benefits their darling North Carolina teams, then they are kidding themselves!

Why did the developers of the "Green Monster" scrub all of the paint off the building if they're going to tear it down? I guess it makes sense if they're going to reuse the bricks. Is that the case?? However, they're apparently not in any hurry to apply for a demolition permit.

Why did the developers of the "Green Monster" scrub all of the paint off the building if they're going to tear it down? I guess it makes sense if they're going to reuse the bricks. Is that the case?? However, they're apparently not in any hurry to apply for a demolition permit.

They were going to see if they could save the building. If they couldn't then they were going to tear it down. I believe part of the deal they made with the DPC was to salvage the brick.

They were going to see if they could save the building. If they couldn't then they were going to tear it down. I believe part of the deal they made with the DPC was to salvage the brick.

Thanks. Hopefully we'll see some progress by the end of the summer.

Archived