Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I have not found anything newsworthy TBAs in recent weeks.

Catching the issue for July 17, Powdersville may be getting a new supermarket at the SC-81/SC-153 intersection, and would require the demolition of several exising buildings.

This is likely on the northwestern corner involving 81 Plaza. It is rumored to be a 90,000 square foot Ingle's, one of several additional or replacement stores in the immediate Greenville area. A replacement store for White Horse Road is in the plans on the former Beattie Huff estate near Berea.

Datafax which is a bidding website shows a new Ingles for Powdersville so it appears that you are right. I can't figure out why they would want to build a new store though. Yeah, it might be a better location in terms of visibility but there is nothing wrong with their current store there. It's not like the one in Moonville or anything. I guess they just want more money. :(

Ingle's present Powdersville location is sixteen years old and replaced an adjacent older location. They have replaced new or remodeled store dating from the early 1990s with new locations featuring drive through pharmacies and fueling stations, including Asheville Highway in Spartanburg and Hendersonville Road in Asheville, NC.

The two oldest Ingle's stores without expansion, remodeling or replacement are Moonville and West Third Street in Gaffney.

The two oldest Ingle's stores without expansion, remodeling or replacement are Moonville and West Third Street in Gaffney.

How old is the location on West Butler in Mauldin? That store is the nearest Ingles to me, and it seems really shabby when compared with newer locations, like the store on Stallings Road in Taylors. I happen to like Ingles, but I deliberately avoid the Mauldin store, and I find it hard to believe that it manages to compete successfully against the newer, and better, Publix and Bi-Lo stores across the street. I contacted Ingles several years ago and was told that they had no plans for a new store in Mauldin or for any expansion on the east side of Greenville. I think a new store in the Five Forks area, or perhaps near the intersection of Hwy. 14 and S. Batesville Rd. could be very competitive.

Why not just renovate the current Powdersville store then like Bi-Lo did?

If Ingle's expanded and remodeled, they would want CVS to relocate so they can add a pharmacy department. I doubt CVS plans to relocate any time soon. It seems cheaper to build new over expanding and remodeling.

How old is the location on West Butler in Mauldin? That store is the nearest Ingles to me, and it seems really shabby when compared with newer locations, like the store on Stallings Road in Taylors. I happen to like Ingles, but I deliberately avoid the Mauldin store, and I find it hard to believe that it manages to compete successfully against the newer, and better, Publix and Bi-Lo stores across the street. I contacted Ingles several years ago and was told that they had no plans for a new store in Mauldin or for any expansion on the east side of Greenville. I think a new store in the Five Forks area, or perhaps near the intersection of Hwy. 14 and S. Batesville Rd. could be very competitive.

The 52,000 square foot Mauldin store opened in autumn 1993. It may receive a touch up with the additional pharmacy department like the Brevard Road store in Asheville.

Ingle's has been inactive in eastern Greenville County. Stallings Road (2001) and Greer (2004) were the recent replacement and additional stores. With their rumored market renewal plans, they are eyeing additional locations on Pelham Road, Woodruff Road, Wade Hampton (old Kmart possibly), South Pleasantburg/Augusta Road, Brushy Creek/Hudson roads, and south Greer, building on former locations (etc. State Park Road in Travelers Rest, possibly West Georgia Road in Simpsonville), and replacing aging locations (White Horse Road in Greenville, Moonville).

• 2 weeks later...

Briefly caught the issue for 7/31. One of the rumors is a new supermarket in the North Main Street area, with the possibility of an announcement in coming weeks.

Okay....I have a question. Where exactly are the TBA's located? If it's journal watchdog, then I'm definitely confused :dontknow: because the TBA's don't appear to have been updated since May 22nd.

Okay....I have a question. Where exactly are the TBA's located? If it's journal watchdog, then I'm definitely confused :dontknow: because the TBA's don't appear to have been updated since May 22nd.

The Greenville Journal TBAs are located on the first page of the business section each week. They can be easy to miss if you don't know to look for them.

As for the Journal Watchdog site, it was created to provide updated online content but has obviously been inconsistent in doing so. Oh well, it was a nice idea. :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

tba

with JOHN BOYANOSKI

Friday, August 21, 2009

The redevelopment of the Woodside Mill into high-end condos and apartments is still on track, and the developers should know by late fall whether they will receive grants for the project. If so, they likely will seek annexation into the city sometime in November or December. The developers need to be inside an incorporated area to get their redevelopment grants...

The future of a new downtown federal courthouse could come down to a battle over aesthetics versus practicality. The feds want a site at the corner of West Washington and Academy streets because it has a larger footprint, while the city is holding out hope for a site on East North Street where it would be a taller building with more of an impact on downtown...

Expect to hear more about a retail/residential project at the corner of Wardlaw and South Main streets in the West End in the coming months...

The 22 condos that are part of McBee Station are ready to be occupied and the developers have recently gotten the financing for people to start purchasing the units. The nationwide credit crunch has hurt condo sales because of the tricky financing involved...

It's been said numerous times before, but once again there is a date for the demolition of the former Woolworth building. This time the word is that the building will come down sometime after Jan. 1...

The whole courthouse situation really stinks. I hope the City can appeal to them and win them over somehow. I think as long as there is no security issues with a site, a City should have a big say in the process. After all, the City has to live with the building and location, as well as its hindrances or enhancements to the surrounding area.

Personally, I don't care which location is selected. My main concern is whether or not it will showcase a highly attractive architectural design and represent the city well. Either location would suffice for a federal courthouse, but an ugly or bland building in either place would likely have a negative impact on its immediate downtown environment, aesthetically speaking.

A courthouse on the McBee-Washington block should be designed to compliment the architectural design of the First Citizens Bank and Greenville Water System buildings. It wouldn't need to be Colonial style, but something classic and very attractive would be right for that area, in my opinion.

A courthouse on East North Street could certainly be designed using one of many different styles. My preference would be Art Deco. I would love something along the line of the First Citizens Bank building in Columbia or The Ellington (proposed) in Asheville.

EDIT: Realized the streets were incorrectly labeled.

I wish the feds would use the site behind the existing Federal Courthouse. Having a 8-12 story building rising up next to the Church St. bridge would be cool. It would eliminate some not so nice looking buildings too.

It would probably save some money on security since both buildings would be next to each other rather than at different locations.

• 1 month later...

TBAs from the Friday, October 2, 2009 issue (volume 11, number 40) of Greenville Journal:

The talk of the town is that a tenant needs 100,000 quare feet of commercial space and is looking at t wo sites. The tenant will be the anchor of a project that could transform downtown.

A deli will open in the former Cantinflas site; a gem store in the old Drake's site and two new restaurants, On the Roxx and Red Rock Caf

TBAs from the Friday, October 2, 2009 issue (volume 11, number 40) of Greenville Journal:

The talk of the town is that a tenant needs 100,000 quare feet of commercial space and is looking at t wo sites. The tenant will be the anchor of a project that could transform downtown.

This is excellent news!! :good:

Any idea how soon an announcement will be made?

TBAs from Friday October 9, 2009 (Vol. 11, No. 41)...

A major announcement will come for downtown within the next 30 days. Whether it is the unnanmed 100,000 sq. ft tenant or the Main Street CVS is not being said. Or it could be another project that has flown under the radar...

Expect to hear more about a series of meetings in the coming weeks aimed at creating a countywide transit system. Part will focus on a bus rapid transit line that would connect downtown with CU-ICAR area for which the city has applied for a $99 million federal grant...

Look for a new restaurant at 18 S. Main St. called Rick's and Rob's. This restaurant will feature meals named after Greenville landmarks and leaders (such as Poinsett, Reedy, Hyatt and Knox) and a lot of vegetarian dishes...

The State transportation department soon will begin work on a sidewalk project along Haywood Road from the mall area to Laurens Road. The five-foot wide sidewalk won't have grass medians and is paid for using stimulus funds...

I'm disappointed that the new sidewalks on Haywood won't have grass between them and the street. Will some of these new sidewalks be torn up and replaced by the City once they begin implementing some of the initial Uptown improvements? It seems like the model intersection would definitely have this kind of impact... Nonetheless, I'm glad we'll see the addition of these sidewalks.

Archived