Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

The city has asked several architectural firms to make designs for this mixed use complex. I highly doubt you'll see Washington Square built like what the current renderings show. The only way is if that design is better than the new ones, which I highly doubt it will be.

What's your source for this?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The city has a hand in this desire to redesign the development, right? If so, I am sure they will be pushing to truly make it another popular activity center in our downtown. We are definitely getting to the point where we can have multiple public gathering areas, with Falls Park, the village green at Main@Broad, and the new Piazza Bergamo at Washington Square.

Hopefully they will still have a couple of highrises as part of it. I know they don't want to ignore street-level retail and a pedestrian-friendly development, but we could really use some height there. It will be disappointing if it is changed to some boring midrise buildings, but I suppose even that would be better than what is there now. :)

I agree with this, but you all know I am not a fan of the current design (at all). The current design borders on ugly IMO, so I am glad that the city is pushing for something more inspiring. But with all we have heard about positive feedback for the project; retail, office (Clemson), hotel, and possible even residential, it seems there would have to be a high rise somewhere. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

There is a new business writer for the Greenville Journal named Lyn Riddle. I don't mean to be rude but this is one of the TBA's from her in the newest issue:

It's a big no-go for Krispy Kreme in downtown Greenville, but the Jimmie Johns on East McBee will be reopening under new management.

Facepalm. I miss John B. already. :(

I haven't been impressed with the TBA column since Mr. Boyanoski relinquished authorship to the "novices". Did she also misspell Jimmy John's, or was that your mistake? The main difference I have noticed lately is the shallow depth of content in the column. It seems very little effort has been put into researching the information prior to meeting the deadline. Truly disappointing as it was once a quality feature in this community publication.

I haven't been impressed with the TBA column since Mr. Boyanoski relinquished authorship to the "novices". Did she also misspell Jimmy John's, or was that your mistake? The main difference I have noticed lately is the shallow depth of content in the column. It seems very little effort has been put into researching the information prior to meeting the deadline. Truly disappointing as it was once a quality feature in this community publication.

Sadly she's the one who misspelled Jimmy Johns. wacko.gif I typed it just like it was shown in the Greenville Journal. I know people can make spelling mistakes so i'll let that slide but getting the name of the donut shop wrong? Yikes. Dare I say the Greenville News is getting better lately at business stories than the Journal? silly.png

Sadly she's the one who misspelled Jimmy Johns. wacko.gif I typed it just like it was shown in the Greenville Journal. I know people can make spelling mistakes so i'll let that slide but getting the name of the donut shop wrong? Yikes. Dare I say the Greenville News is getting better lately at business stories than the Journal? silly.png

I won't let it slide. It is one thing to make a careless mistake in a text message or while writing informally, but there is absolutely no excuse for an author or journalist to have misspelled words. Writing correctly is what they do for a living! <_<

I won't let it slide. It is one thing to make a careless mistake in a text message or while writing informally, but there is absolutely no excuse for an author or journalist to have misspelled words. Writing correctly is what they do for a living! dry.gif

I totally agree about spelling and punctuation -- it drives me crazy to see errors like that. Readers see them and repeat them and then...oh, don't get me started.

Regarding the name of the doughnut shop, I had heard some silly rumor that KK was considering moving into the vacant DD space. So perhaps THAT'S what Lyn meant? (although if so, it certainly isn't very clear.)

• 6 months later...

TBA's for November 12, 2010:

CB Richard Ellis founder says the asking rates for leased space downtown in the third quarter decreased five cents to an overall market average of $16.42 per square foot. The largest quarter-to-quarter decline in the past two years.

An eight-lot subdivision is proposed for a piece of property where McDaniel Avenue ends at East McBee.

Barley's intends to open a Belgian bar early next year in the basement beneath the restaurant.

Marketplace by Walmart in downtown Grenville? Hmmmmmm.

TBA's for November 12, 2010:

CB Richard Ellis founder says the asking rates for leased space downtown in the third quarter decreased five cents to an overall market average of $16.42 per square foot. The largest quarter-to-quarter decline in the past two years.

An eight-lot subdivision is proposed for a piece of property where McDaniel Avenue ends at East McBee.

Barley's intends to open a Belgian bar early next year in the basement beneath the restaurant.

Marketplace by Walmart in downtown Grenville? Hmmmmmm.

• 10 months later...

According to the Journal:

"The University of South Carolina Moore School of Business will move into a building off Main Street in January."

It's great to have more and more office space being consumed in the CBD, especially with two new office towers under construction.

According to the Journal: "The University of South Carolina Moore School of Business will move into a building off Main Street in January." It's great to have more and more office space being consumed in the CBD, especially with two new office towers under construction.

Looks like the rumor I posted in the Washington Square thread a few months ago came true. :good: Was hoping it would be ONE but i'm still glad to see it going downtown either way. My guess would be the RiverWalk development.

Looks like the rumor I posted in the Washington Square thread a few months ago came true. :good: Was hoping it would be ONE but i'm still glad to see it going downtown either way. My guess would be the RiverWalk development.

Clemson you better watch out. USC seems to be getting a foothold in Greenville. First their Med school and know this.

• 10 months later...

The Journal is rumoring that Rick Erwin is going to open a third downtown Greenville restaurant.

I think downtown Greenville is starting to have an inbreeding problem. Things are starting to get too bland, safe, and corporate. Too many "nice" places that lack character.

We need some new blood. More Trappe Doors, Chicora Alleys, Addy's, food trucks, and funky new places.

I think downtown Greenville is starting to have an inbreeding problem. Things are starting to get too bland, safe, and corporate. Too many "nice" places that lack character.

We need some new blood. More Trappe Doors, Chicora Alleys, Addy's, food trucks, and funky new places.

It did say that the concept and decor would be completely different from his other restaurants. Trappe Door... you're making me hungry!

• 4 months later...

After a long absence, TBA has returned, and with some pretty decent info.

A major aviation company is reportedly considering relocating headquarters and operations to Greenville County, with "several hundred new jobs" expected to accompany the move.  County economic development and industry officials have been working behind the scenes on negotiations.

A new venue space is reportedly heading to downtown Greenville in the coming months.

Word is Clemson University is busy with plans to further expand its presence in Greenville.  The campaign is being dubbed "Orangeville" 

Has anyone got any inside info?? 

After a long absence, TBA has returned, and with some pretty decent info.

A major aviation company is reportedly considering relocating headquarters and operations to Greenville County, with "several hundred new jobs" expected to accompany the move.  County economic development and industry officials have been working behind the scenes on negotiations.

A new venue space is reportedly heading to downtown Greenville in the coming months.

Word is Clemson University is busy with plans to further expand its presence in Greenville.  The campaign is being dubbed "Orangeville" 

Has anyone got any inside info?? 

Have not heard anything in Clemson itself. I think a place near downtown would be awesome. A huge development that friendly for college students, etc that emphasizes Clemson.

Also, CUICAR is full so I expect they will expand it soon.

And by venue space downtown, what do you mean?

This new headquarters is interesting. Hopefully it is close enough to the city that it can be annexed by Greenville.

Archived