Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd hope that Greenville would get a Metropolitan Midtown-type development like Charlotte got: a Target and some other high-traffic stores within walking distance of the main part of downtown.

Well, since you are stereotyping and name calling, I'll raise my hand here and admit to being one of your "snobs", as I think a Target downtown sounds great! Far better than a Wal-Mart.

gs3: you said that you were moving to Dallas, and you criticized Greenville extensively.  You also indicated that you had actually moved to Dallas (see post 1542 in the Magnolia Park thread, copied below).  However, you continue to post in the Greenville thread and you haven't posted in the Dallas thread.

gs3, January 23, 2013:

"Ummmm, by the way, who says I haven't moved. Psssss.....hint.....the internet can be accessed from anywhere in the world.....amazing, right?"

I did a news search to see if any corporate moves like the one you indicated yours was had happened, but none are in any business press.  I also note (as others have) that the facts of certain real estate developments that you insisted were true didn't pan out. 

gs3, would you please confirm whether or not you have relocated to Dallas?  If not, please explain your January 23 post above.

Corner of Rutherford/Poinsett/Shaw next to WYFF4? Only old warehouses and an old gas station there.

No. Not that far down Rutherford. I'm talking about the area after Mcdonalds. Its on the city's wishlish to redevelope that area anyway, making that area just ripe for something like that. I could see that part of town really exploding, if something like Walmart or Target, being within walking distance of downtown.

The area you are talking about would be good for redevelopement to. But not yet. The timing isn't right.

If Target does come to downtown, and considering that city council deliberately and successfully dissuaded Walmart from coming to Church St., will you at least acknowledge that maybe Greenville's standards haven't been lowered after all ?

Target is better than Wal-Mart and a step in the right direction. Still to be seen how well the city can / will execute this. Parking deck or sea of pavement? Urban store footprint or suburban sprawl footprint? Plantings? Up against street and pedestrian friendly or set back with parking in front? Etc? Etc?

I could see a Target going up around the Cherrydale area. That would serve downtown and the northwest neighborhoods. It says "near" to DT which doesn't necessarily mean it will be DT. I have noticed surveying going on lately between Cherrydale and Home Depot on N Pleasantburg on several tracts of land. I think that area is about to take off again since retailers are starting to expand again.  Target is behind in the upstate and I think they will eventually put a store not only on the DT/NW side of Greenville  but the Easley area, eastside area of Spartanburg and Greenwood.

Here's what would be great downtown:

http://www.cappelli-inc.com/developments/citycenter.shtml

http://www.whiteplainscitycenter.com

It's a large retail center with a Target, Barnes & Noble, movie theater, restaurants, etc., with residential, all on Main St. in White Plains, NY, which has a downtown that is geographically about the same size as Greenville's (although White Plains has a lot more retail and maybe less office space).

gs3, you did not move to Dallas, despite your assertions that you did.

I don't mind the "components" of the project, but I don't like the form or idea of a glorified shopping mall in downtown Greenville. Keep people on the streets and sidewalks, please. 

Well, the White Plains development doesn't have a mall-type interior lined by stores--just an entrance that leads immediately to the handful of big-box-type stores in it, so people are either outside walking to the development, or inside the stores.  I don't understand your concern.

The Minneapolis Target has about the same amount of space inside the building at the entrance, leading into the store, as the White Plains complex has at its entrance, leading into its stores.

So if the Minneapolis Target is acceptable, so is the White Plains one.  The White Plains development also has a Barnes & Noble, Atlanta Bread Company, Legal Sea Foods and movie theater with direct entrances onto Main Street and another street.

The Minneapolis Target has about the same amount of space inside the building at the entrance, leading into the store, as the White Plains complex has at its entrance, leading into its stores.

So if the Minneapolis Target is acceptable, so is the White Plains one.  The White Plains development also has a Barnes & Noble, Atlanta Bread Company, Legal Sea Foods and movie theater with direct entrances onto Main Street and another street.

The design of the Minneapolis store is better. And I agree with GvilleSC that ideally, all of those stores shouldn't be bottled up within a singular building but should all have a street-level presence. This is also how the complex in DC is set up with Target, Best Buy, etc., but DC can afford to do that since it's already a very pedestrian-friendly city.

Embassy Suites is planning to build 155 room hotel downtown. NO Location given. Windsor ughty. Opening2016.

Wow. JHM, Hughes, and now this. These aren't any small development companies either so they must think there is a market for it.

The news was leaked by Embassy Suites itself, not the developer, for whatever diffence that makes.

Besides the Embassy Suites article, the new issue has these items:

TBA:

Beer lovers may soon have a another stopover for pub crawls. Bavarian Pretzel Factory is laying plans to open a beer garden downtown.

4 Rooms, a home decor store is opening Saturday on Augusta St across from Roots

Steve White Volkswagon Audi will break ground on a new dealership on property adjacent to its current site.

Business articles on:

Yeah, THAT Greenville marketing campaign

SIP louge

EP's Jetpack campaign

Hyatt Renovation [cost went 'well north' of the $15mm estimate given to the city]

Clemson's MBA program

GEEK event

Quotation from Esquire Mag Blog on Greenville Food Scene -- very complimentary

Articles in main paper on:

Parking Downtown

Food Trucks

Clemson unveils ONE space plans

• 2 weeks later...

"You know those four recent announcements for new Woodruff Road restaurants? Well, at least two are now said to be on hold. Too much competition, maybe...."

Wait...what??? :dontknow: Did I miss a memo somewhere? Chuy's and Magnolia Park were going full force construction when I drove by today. Dave and Busters is currently hiring and Toby Keith's isn't slated to open until late 2014 also so I don't think it's those either. Weird.

Chuy's and Magnolia Park were going full force construction when I drove by today.

Only partially related, I wondered as I sat in the Woodruff Rd parking lot is whether the contractors allow for the limited access as they bid their projects?  It's one thing to get your guys in there first thing in the morning, but what if can only accept deliveries or need supplies in the middle of the day?   By 1-2:00, there was no access to Chuy's that would get there in less than 1/2 hour.  Getting out would take about the same amount of time.

• 1 month later...

TBA's May 3, 2013:

"Word is a well-known national retailer is looking to locate at the former site of Kevin Whitaker Chevrolet on N. Pleasantburg Drive.  A rezoning is required; the public hearing is later in May".                     Any ideas who the retailer is???

"Look for a new cigar store coming to downtown Greer".

"Miniature World of Trains is reportedly moving to downtown Greenville to the miniature golf building next to Rick Erwin's Deli".

Archived