Which smaller mid-sized city is your preference?

krazeeboi

As far as living goes, which small mid-sized city is your choice?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. As far as living goes, which small mid-sized city is your choice?

• Asheville
    • Augusta
    • Charleston
    • Chattanooga
    • Columbia
    • Columbus
    • Durham
    • Greenville
    • Greensboro
    • Huntsville
    • Jackson
    • Knoxville
    • Little Rock
    • Mobile
    • Spartanburg
    • St. Petersburg
    • Tallahassee
    • Wilmington
    • Winston-Salem
    • Other

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm first to vote, and first to pick other (although there are some fine cities on your poll - many that I probably would live in). My pick, partly because I'm biased and partly because I really enjoy the quality of life here, is Gainesville, FL (pop. +- 100,000, metro +- 200,000). It would probably be the smallest city on your poll, but this poll is a small mid-sized city poll. And Gainesville almost never "gets any love" here in the South USA forum.

Little Rock, no doubt!

It has a nice urban downtown, ranked one of the top ten downtowns (#4) of the south. The River Market (downtown) is always busy no matter what day of the week you go, and vintage trolleys patrol the streets.

The western portion is hilly to mountainous and has Lake Maumelle--great for sailing as I've seen. And of course the Arkansas River goes through the downtowns of both the North Little Rock and Little Rock riverfront parks.

But I'm biased. Just like everyone else...

Charleston, no doubt! ^_^ I've got to give more love for my hometown. This is really the only coastal mid-sized city in the poll with a more Southern (thus, it is warmer) location. I don't know if I would put St. Pete in the same category as Charleston or other cities in the poll, considering its proximity to and full-fledged connection with Tampa.

I had to vote for my hometown of Greensboro. Sometimes referred to as "Greensboring", but all that is changing. There is a huge wave of development and new life being pumped into downtown. But there is one thing that hasn't changed over the years...our sense of community. There are so many ways to get involved. There is an incredible amount of diversity as well, perhaps one of the most accepting and diverse cities in the southeast. Greensboro is also ranked pretty high on philanthropy in the community. I think the fact that it's the 3rd biggest city in NC (and still carving out a niche in the state) is a positive. It forces them to look for ways to maximize their strengths and strengthen their weaknesses. Besides all that, the vibe is just very different from Charlotte or Raleigh. Its very artsy, creative, and not as stuffy, I love it. It's hard to explain. If I ever move back to NC (i'm in West Hollywood right now) I could only live in Greensboro, Chapel Hill (I'm a UNC grad...what can i say :-) ) , or Asheville (I love that place, too.) in that order.

i'm going with okc. always overlooked. most people still tend to think that we ride horses and have dirt roads. with the development in and near downtown its becoming a really cool place to be. and it has some of the nicest people anywhere.

It's great to see so many non-biased opinions here :)

The only cities I would consider a potential move would be: Asheville, Charleston, Savannah & MAYBE St Petersburg. Another city on the list that I do like, but don't have much of a desire to move to would be Columbia - primarily because of friends & familiarity. But there are some nice small cities on the list that I do like, but I like those with the assurance that I don't have to live there ;)

Chattanooga!

The riverfront, the vibrant downtown, the green, lush hills, mild climate AND

you're an hour from the Ocoee River, two hours from the Smokies.

Atlanta and Nashville are an hour and a half away---the FLA Panhandle is only a morning's drive away.

The only drawback is trying to reach the carolinas...Pack a lunch and plenty of patience for that trip.

Tallahassee... with the hills and the lakes and the Gulf so near... there are beautiful college girls of all kinds and themeparks close, but not too close... and gambling, close but not too close. The weather is predictably exciting. the air is clean and we drink spring water from our household facet... we are growing, and a changing city is always exciting. And that is what we love about our south! you cant beat it... not for me at least.

post-4590-1120520553_thumb.jpg

post-4590-1120520671_thumb.jpg

post-4590-1120520553_thumb.jpg

post-4590-1120520671_thumb.jpg

Chattanooga!

The riverfront, the vibrant downtown, the green, lush hills, mild climate AND

you're an hour from the Ocoee River, two hours from the Smokies.

Atlanta and Nashville are an hour and a half away---the FLA Panhandle is only a morning's drive away.

The only drawback is trying to reach the carolinas...Pack a lunch and plenty of patience for that trip.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm in the Chattanooga camp also. I only live about 90 miles from there, and in my lifetime, I have seen it transform itself from a broken down dirty mill town that you had to pass through to get to Gatlinburg, into a vibrant and happening place. I am always impressed with Chattanooga these days.

Archived