Which smaller mid-sized city is your preference?

krazeeboi

As far as living goes, which small mid-sized city is your choice?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. As far as living goes, which small mid-sized city is your choice?

• Asheville
    • Augusta
    • Charleston
    • Chattanooga
    • Columbia
    • Columbus
    • Durham
    • Greenville
    • Greensboro
    • Huntsville
    • Jackson
    • Knoxville
    • Little Rock
    • Mobile
    • Spartanburg
    • St. Petersburg
    • Tallahassee
    • Wilmington
    • Winston-Salem
    • Other

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Durham somehow developed a bad reputation, but I'm impressed with some of their developments, and I think their downtown revitalization will make it an even more interesting city to visit, let alone live and work in. It isn't much now, but it has a lot of potential.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice pics, nashvol85. That 4th one (http://www.geog.okstate.edu/users/finchum/neyland.jpg) is a bit too large, don't you think? I suggest scaling it down a whole lot.

I think Knoxville has a decent skyline, but I've seen no change in many years. If you linke the University of Tennessee Volunteers, then Knoxville is your city. Everything all over there is ORANGE. Otherwise, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is its best amenity, IMO. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I really enjoy the quality of life here Greenville, Sc. But if I had to choose a similar size city to move to in the south, I would have to say Sarasota Fl. Beautiful city that has all the great things people go on vacation for, but also has a great downtown with a very livable feel to it.

I voted for Jackson. I thought it was for Jackson, TN because business is booming right now and it has access to a number of big city amenities being only 45 minutes from Memphis and 1 1/2 hours from Nashville. I don't know why I didn't think about Jackson, MS. Its a lovely place also.

I vote Columbia,s.c.; the reason i vote columbia because their potential to become a major city. the only other city that probaly give columbia a run for it's money is little rock. columbia has great weather all year around, college town, and there's a awful lot of developments going on in the city and around the city. columbia is defintely a future city. I also vote little rock, little rock has a lot of potential to become something ggrrr8 also.

• 3 weeks later...

There's not enough room for all of those choices. I tried to get the more recognizable cities from the southern states (although I missed Savannah). That would be too many Florida cities anyway, IMO (although Sarasota is a good option). That's what I have "other" listed as an option and one could always reply and make mention of what his/her unlisted choice is.

if you had combined Greenville & Spartanburg into a single choice (GSP), then you could have added an addition city (like Savannah). Oh well, too late now.

Saint Petersburg a booming city with an urban downtown and fairly dense city even though besides the beaches and dowtown there arent many hi-rises , beautiful beaches, home of the skyway bridge, next to Tampa and close to Orlando, no suburbs as in every third house looks the same, neighborhoods with personalities in them, frienldly laid back people, city that has a history such as home of the first commercial airline, steeply rising land values, clean city but still has a ghetto and the potential of it becoming a major city is huge its skyline is constantly growing and more proposals being thrown in so soon our skyline will kick ass. Its also a city i grew up in and id like to live in for the rest of my life in i moved to another city and i didnt like it even though it was bigger and more modern. Also My other choices would of been Tallahasee and Mobile both excellent, growing cities. As for why some of the SC and NC cities are at the top its cause most people on the forum are from that general area and tend to vote for those cities cause they know them well.

Here are some pics

Downtown

St.jpg

050905.jpg

Skyway Bridge

skywaybridge.jpg

sky0865.jpg

sky10v017.jpg

Our next Tallest Building

Signature-Place.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Of this list I like Charleston most. It's compact, walkable, and seems somewhat cosmo. I've heard the same about Asheville but I've never been there.

It's one thing to see skyline shots, but I'd have to see the street-level activity before deciding a good place to live.

Archived