Hispanic, Black, and Asian Population in Arkansas

johnnydr87

Exactly, sleepy. That's why I said, freemarket: for better or worse. I'm glad the hispanics get jobs that they normally wouldn't have in their homeland. I'm glad they diversify northwest Arkansas.

But there's a few problems. Although many of them get jobs, since many are illegals, they don't get the same commodities as citizens. Like a possibility of getting a state scholarship (one of many things are denied). You may have heard of the legislative sessions involving Hispanic causes. So we allow them to take our crappy jobs, but we won't allow them basic health and education rights. If we're willing to take advantage of their work, they should get the same benefits as anybody else........My opinion at least.

For the middle eastern population, Little Rock probably has the biggest in the state. Surprisingly, Pine bluff seems to have one too. I know a few Muslim students from there. It's not "big," but it is sizeable.

As for racism....they are getting a lot of crap. A lot of it's just harmless jokes, but a lot of people in the state have a very unfriendly attitude toward Muslims and perceive it as a "violent" religion. Most of it is in the closet, but it's there.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the middle eastern population, Little Rock probably has the biggest in the state.  Surprisingly, Pine bluff seems to have one too.  I know a few Muslim students from there.  It's not "big," but it is sizeable.

As for racism....they are getting a lot of crap.  A lot of it's just harmless jokes, but a lot of people in the state have a very unfriendly attitude toward Muslims and perceive it as a "violent" religion.  Most of it is in the closet, but it's there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, do you think this is mainly something just in Arkansas or do you think this is probably a problem all over the US? I know people are worried and they can jump to conclusions but I really don't think ostracizing them and so forth is going to help anything. It seems to me it might only make it easier for Muslems have more anti American sentiment because of how Muslems are being treated here.

That's for sure.  Tyson partially got where it is by breaking criminal laws relative to hiring illegal immigrants.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/Corp/TysonBusted.cfm

Why?  Because illegals will work more cheaply than legals.  Offer high enough pay to future employees from Pine Bluff and Tyson will get all the employees it needs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think there was more to it than that. If you were Afro-American and you thought northwest Arkansas and the Ozarks were full of members of the KKK would you still want a job here? I think that had a lot to do with it.

Well there's another subject I was curious to bring up. I have noticed some differences in some racial areas between say Fayetteville and Pine Bluff. I have always gotten the impression that there is almost a self imposed racial segregation in Pine Bluff. It just seems like you don't see white and Afro-Americans together very much. It also seems like you almost never see mixed dating or marriages. However in Fayetteville it seems much more open and you see many mixed marriages and so forth. I realize we don't have a huge Afro-American population here but I'd still say there are more mixed marriages here in Fayetteville than Pine Bluff. How would you say the rest of the state is like? I didn't mention it but it isn't too uncommon so see mixed marriages between whites and hispanics also. Didn't want it to be just a white/Afro-American question.

Exactly, sleepy.  That's why I said, freemarket: for better or worse.  I'm glad the hispanics get jobs that they normally wouldn't have in their homeland.  I'm glad they diversify northwest Arkansas. 

But there's a few problems.  Although many of them get jobs, since many are illegals, they don't get the same commodities as citizens.  Like a possibility of getting a state scholarship (one of many things are denied).  You may have heard of the legislative sessions involving Hispanic causes.  So we allow them to take our crappy jobs, but we won't allow them basic health and education rights.  If we're willing to take advantage of their work, they should get the same benefits as anybody else........My opinion at least.

For the middle eastern population, Little Rock probably has the biggest in the state.  Surprisingly, Pine bluff seems to have one too.  I know a few Muslim students from there.  It's not "big," but it is sizeable.

As for racism....they are getting a lot of crap.  A lot of it's just harmless jokes, but a lot of people in the state have a very unfriendly attitude toward Muslims and perceive it as a "violent" religion.  Most of it is in the closet, but it's there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nationwide of course. But it undoubtedly more prevalent in rural communites. Arkansas has a lot of those.

Well there's another subject I was curious to bring up.  I have noticed some differences in some racial areas between say Fayetteville and Pine Bluff.  I have always gotten the impression that there is almost a self imposed racial segregation in Pine Bluff.  It just seems like you don't see white and Afro-Americans together very much.  It also seems like you almost never see mixed dating or marriages.  However in Fayetteville it seems much more open and you see many mixed marriages and so forth.  I realize we don't have a huge Afro-American population here but I'd still say there are more mixed marriages here in Fayetteville than Pine Bluff.  How would you say the rest of the state is like?  I didn't mention it but it isn't too uncommon so see mixed marriages between whites and hispanics also.  Didn't want it to be just a white/Afro-American question.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In Little Rock, I think the mixed marriage rate is pretty high. It sounds like Fayetteville is too. I don't know, but I'm guessing it has some sort of relation with the education. Both cities have lots of Universities (or a really big one at least) and both have very good schools. Both have high college grad. rates. But that's just speculation.

As for hispanics and whites mixing... I think it's a lot more common than black and white. For asians and whites, it might be even more common. The more similar the two racial groups are...the more likely they are to intermarry. My mom is Asian and my dad is white, and we know a few other couples in little ole' Hot Springs that are the same (5-10). That's a pretty big number for such a small Asian population here.

In Little Rock, I think the mixed marriage rate is pretty high.  It sounds like Fayetteville is too.  I don't know, but I'm guessing it has some sort of relation with the education.  Both cities have lots of Universities (or a really big one at least) and both have very good schools.  Both have high college grad. rates.  But that's just speculation.

As for hispanics and whites mixing... I think it's a lot more common than black and white.  For asians and whites, it might be even more common.  The more similar the two racial groups are...the more likely they are to intermarry.  My mom is Asian and my dad is white, and we know a few other couples in little ole' Hot Springs that are the same (5-10).  That's a pretty big number for such a small Asian population here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, I should have added Asians into the mix also. I don't believe we have as many Asians up here, although there are a number of them at the university. But you do see some interracial relationships there too. I guess I was still surprised to see Pine Bluff seem so segregated. You'd think that with such a large percentage of the population either Afro-American and white you might see more. I imagine now Afro-Americans might outnumber whites, at least in the city limits. I was just curious how the rest of the state was.

Getting back to hispanics again (I have to catch up with the website being down for a while). There are some running for election in certain positions. Most of them being up here in northwest Arkansas. But this also brings to mind the fact that hispanics tend to be more democrat tha republican. This brings up an interesting issue here in northwest Arkansas. Outside of the Fayetteville city limits northwest Arkansas is probably the most republican area of Arkansas. Much of the hispanic growth has actually taken place outside of Fayetteville in northwest Arkansas. So this could actually end up having a political effect also. Possibly turning areas of northwest Arkansas that were mainly republican into democratic areas. Perhaps some are tired of me going on about hispanics but I think it all really adds another dimension to things here in Arkansas.

I know what you're talking about. As you know, corporate business type people are Republican. That's why NW Arkansas is so Republican. However, as it gets more dense and gains more Hispanics, it will reverse its Republican trend, and become more Democrat. Dense cities usually go Democrat. Minorities usually go Democrat.

Surprisingly, after Pulaski County, Bentonville and Washington counties had the second and third highest amount of votes for Democrats. It's kind of perplexing. In the USA, the top 15 states with the highest percentage of college graduates voted Kerry (excluding Virginia). The bottom 15 (including Arkansas) voted Bush. You would think that since those two NW counties have a lot of college grads, it would go Democrat. I'm guessing it is because most of the degrees are business-oriented.

I know what you're talking about.  As you know, corporate business type people are Republican.  That's why NW Arkansas is so Republican.  However, as it gets more dense and gains more Hispanics, it will reverse its Republican trend, and become more Democrat.  Dense cities usually go Democrat.  Minorities usually go Democrat. 

Surprisingly, after Pulaski County, Bentonville and Washington counties had the second and third highest amount of votes for Democrats.  It's kind of perplexing.  In the USA, the top 15 states with the highest percentage of college graduates voted Kerry (excluding Virginia).  The bottom 15 (including Arkansas) voted Bush.  You would think that since those two NW counties have a lot of college grads, it would go Democrat.  I'm guessing it is because most of the degrees are business-oriented.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think why Benton and Washington was second and third for amount of votes for democrats is also just the fact that there are more people here except for Pulaski County. But outside of Fayetteville northwest Arkansas does have a more conservative feel, particularly politically. Of course you may have more and more of the rest of the state become more republican also. That trend also seems to be increasing more.

Quick note, college graduate percentage:

Benton County:

20.3%

Washington County:

24.5 %

Pulaski County:

28.1%

State of Arkansas:

16.7%

What's sad is that there are several states that have higher grad. rates than Pulaski County, Arkansas' most educated county.

What's even sadder is that the national average is 24.5%! Arkansas only has two counties (Washington and Pulaski) above the national average!

oops, there's one more county above the average. Faulkner County....what city is there....just north of Little Rock..hmmm?

Yes but hopefully that will start changing. I still think one of the problems was that many college graduates left the state to go to school or for jobs and never came back. I am especially hopeful that we will be able to retain more of the people at the U of A. Fayetteville has done some work on what is called a 'high-tech' business park. It would be nice to be able to develop more high tech jobs in Arkansas. For that matter, any type of jobs that would help keep graduates from leaving.

Just because I'd like to talk more about it. I will mention the hispanic population again in Arkansas. What type of changes do you think will happen especially if the hispanic growth rate continues? Although I think there might be some that would argue about the growth rate. I think everyone in most of the state obviously know there are hispanics that have moved recently into the state. I believe Arkansas was either first or second in the 90's depending on what study you look at. But at the same time Arkansas also has a rather low base population compared to other states. So some states with a much higher population like North Carolina makes the hispanic growth rate very impressive. But back to the question. What types of changes do you see happening, culturally, politically, anything? And for another question, what effect if any will the Mexican Consulate have in Little Rock?

I did a little research and found out that Mexico has 42 consulates in 17 states. It will soon be opening consulates in Little Rock and Raleigh, North Carolina. The one in North Carolina is oddly enough going to based out of an old Taco Bell. Which is of course just a coincidence. Does anyone have much idea what a consulate does? I got the impression it's a somewhat scaled down version of an embassy.

Well scratch that I found another site that states Mexico has 45 consulates in 19 states. So it looks like Little Rock will be number 46. Apparently Governor Huckabee played a major part in the one in Little Rock. He met with President Fox and mentioned the need for one. Nice for Little Rock but I really think northwest Arkansas could use one more. But I guess of course Little Rock once again felt it had to be first in something again to regain some respect it's lost to northwest Arkansas. :D

But seriously, I do feel that one up here is needed more than in Little Rock. All the census figures I've seen point to the fact that we actually have more hispanics in this area. I'm sure Governor Huckabee pushed Little Rock and not northwest Arkansas. I could almost make this into a central Arkansas vs northwest Arkansas topic. I know Little Rock is the capitol, but there has always been a trend of Little Rock getting taken care of over other areas. I guess I'd just like to see if anyone actually has an argument for Little Rock getting one and not northwest Arkansas.

Little Rock is where all the lawmaking happens. Nothing of that scale happens in NW Arkansas.

A consulate is an organization set up by a parent government in a foreign country that takes care of its citizens in the foreign country in many different ways. One of the biggest, probably THE biggest way, is by influencing lawmakers to accomodate the foreign population.

Little Rock is where all the lawmaking happens.  Nothing of that scale happens in NW Arkansas.

A consulate is an organization set up by a parent government in a foreign country that takes care of its citizens in the foreign country in many different ways.  One of the biggest, probably THE biggest way, is by influencing lawmakers to accomodate the foreign population.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah okay I guess I can see that argument. Although looking at a lot of the other cities that have Mexican consulates there are a lot of them that aren't in capitol cities. But then again if I look at that list again I imagine many of those cities are rather large. The article I read mentioned that it would be able to help provide certain documents that immigrants need to open bank accounts and such. I still think we could use one up here. But not sure we will because we may not be big enough and because the capitol isn't up here.

True....I'm guessing NW Arkansas will get one within a matter of years...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps, but it might hinge on continued hispanic growth in northwest Arkansas. Like I have said before I still somewhat wonder how are hispanic growth compares to other states. I wonder if the percentages seem more impressive here because there's a smaller base population as compared to many other states. I thought I saw an article while looking at info on Mexican consulates that predicted at least 150,000 hispanics in the state and that some thought that was a rather low estimate.

I guess I must have missed this when it happened. I reading reading an article that mentioned Governor Huckabee's speech at LULAC. He had apparently given a similar speech to the General Assembly that got some critisism. He mentioned something along the line that Arkansas needed to leave the 'traditional south' behind and be a part of the 'new south'. One of the aspects that drew the critisism was that Arkansas needed to be more open, friendly and welcome our hispanics neighbors. The 'south' is bound to change whether people accept it or not. The south continues to grow and there are many people from other parts of the country that are moving in. Perhaps it seems a little odd because fewer immigrants came to the south because it wasn't where the jobs were. So aside from the Afro-American population the white population was mainly British or Scotch-Irish descent. There was some Germans and very little from southern or eastern Europe. Although I imagine mainly people don't have that big of a problem with 'yankees' moving in than more so the hispanic population. But I think the old days with the 'Anglo' world being north of the Mexican border and the 'Latin' world being south of the US border is over. I guess it will be interesting to see if future generations become 'Americanized' as has been typical of the past or will a constant influx of hispanics allow them to keep a stronger hold of their culture. Perhaps even changing the very culture of the US.

You're ignoring a key element to this phenomenon: historical ties to an area. Examine the places in Arkansas with large black populations. They exist in agricultural parts of the state, and in Arkansas' historically large cities. That means that most of the black population in Arkansas is in the eastern and southern parts of the state. Of course Little Rock has always had a large black population, given that it has been the state's largest and capital city, and provides job opportunities for blacks outside of agriculture. The same is true of Little Rock attracting whites from throughout the state. An easy way to think of the population distribution is to realize how small the black population is in the mountain areas of the state. Hot Springs is an exception, but it is in South  Arkansas and has been a larger city in the state. The only large black community that I can think of outside of those areas, is Fort Smith, which is in the fertile Arkansas River Valley, and has been an important provider of industrial jobs in the state.

Now, why has Northwest Arkansas been able to attract Hispanics, but not many blacks? One reason is the degree of economic necessity and opportunity. The situation in the Delta and Mexico are not comparable. These jobs that we are discussing are low-paying, bottom-of-the-barrel jobs. While people of the Delta aren't thriving, jobs for a stable, if not healthy existance are available. Why uproot yourself from a familiar area, where your family and friends are, for a low-wage job?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You do have a point, but it just seems odd that people from an area like Pine Bluff wouldn't be more interested. A while back ago Tyson opened a new plant in Pine Bluff and a huge amount of people turned out to apply for jobs. While a lot of people might not think to highly of a job at a chicken plant, people there thought of it as a decent job. I haven't kept up with Pine Bluff's unemployment rates over the years I do know they've had some pretty high rates. I guess I am just somewhat surprised that from an area that was excited about a plant that was built in Pine Bluff and thought of the jobs as being decent jobs that more people wouldn't have been interested in any of the same jobs in northwest Arkansas.

Archived